River Inn of Harbor Town
Orbitz.com
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
1,001 results
All reviewsport wineturn down servicepaulette's restaurantfour poster bedterrace bartruffleboutique hotelcomplimentary glass of winegourmet breakfastmud islandview of the rivermighty mississippilittle touchesromantic getawayeach eveningbeale streetthe penthouse
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The hotel is rated by some as the best in Memphis, so I decided to splurge. And it did really well given the space and area restrictions, which is to say, it partners with an off-site exercise facility, directs one to a nice massage place down the street, has no pool, and there are very limited dining options in the area. But the views are nice, the linens and extras are pleasant, the piano player was a huge plus and the included breakfast and staff were great. I had a drink at the Terrace, having read up on it and having high expectations. First, unlike what seems to be the case in the photos, it is all enclosed. Second, the "handcrafted cocktails" resulted in a sickeningly sweet French martini, but I also heard the server discussing other drinks, which were sweet/dessert Martini style. Not my style and I rarely have a cocktail, but the options here were disappointing. But, I guess it depends what you like.
The great looking scallop dish featured in the photos was unavailable and a shrimp plate that I got had me leaving the table to get more water - it was painfully over-peppered. I left to go across the street for a burger (okay, but not my idea of fun in Memphis - but there was only 1 other dining option in the tiny commercial area).
The Riverwalk (sidewalk running the length of the river) was a great place for an early morning run. I had picked this for an off the beaten track experience (about a mile and a half or two to the center of town, if walking), but think I would opt for being at any of the Holiday Inn, Comfort Inn, Marriott or other generic options, for a bit of tranquility with better dining options. Or, next time, the Peabody, which haas a great drink list (although I got the Fuzzy Duckling at midday -- great fruit juices in a stunning lobby lounge).
This was a relatively expensive place to stay and, while efforts were made to make it swanky and great, I just found it too restricting -- and food and drink matter to me!
The wifi was also very slow. But, parking was free!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank enghien
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Great boutique hotel service was very good. On arrival offered drink before going to the room, room was on the small side but king size bed really comfortable. Hotel only minutes away from from Beale Street $5 taxi ride which was very convenient. Breakfast was very good and served by great staff. Overall great experience good value, great hotel and very convenient for main attractions across all Memphis.

Room Tip: Look for a room over looking the river
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank michael m
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Perfect place to stay when traveling to Memphis. I couldn't have asked for better accommodations. Everything was first rate, starting with the glass of wine at check in, the beautiful views, the amazing breakfast...did I mention truffles and port in your room every night?!? So close to downtown, but you feel transported far away.
I'm already trying to figure out when I can come back. Thank you River Inn for spoiling me on my vacation!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christyinca
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Lovely hotel. Rooms very comfortable with stunning views over the Mississippi. The only negative comment was the miserable waitress in the restaurant (Tugs) on our first night who never smiled once and literally snatched my husbands glass away to refill it. Thankfully, though, we didn't see her again and the rest of the staff were very pleasant and helpful. Lovely breakfasts too.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank sueTeesside
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed for two nights at the River Inn while visiting Memphis. It's a great location just across the bridge and then you can hop on to the buses to get around downtown sights. The trams are being renovated at the moment together with quite a lot of renovation being done in the whole downtown area, but the buses are a convenient replacement, and very cheap if you buy a day ticket from the MATA office( just over the bridge where you get the bus). Also a monorail from Mud Island but not on Mondays when we were there.
The rooms are not huge, but immaculately presented and with great attention to detail - they really have thought of everything. The bathrooms are huge and the towels are beautifully thick and fluffy, along with the complimentary robes and lovely toiletries. The chocs and port at evening is a very nice touch, as was the champagne on arrival. One bag of laundry costs 10 dollars - I managed to pack loads into one bag!! I thought it was very good value.
We ate at Paulettes restaurant one evening which was exceptional ( the rack of lamb is to die for) and at Tug's the other evening, which I can't say was particularly good.
Overall, a lovely bit of luxury in a road trip holiday, I would recommend it.

Room Tip: Our room was on 2nd floor - very quiet and coffee is available from 6am in all lobby areas.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple