“Yum yum!”

Ranked #9 of 1,446 Restaurants in Memphis
Price range: US$6 - US$20
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Cooper Young Community Association
Gallatin, Tennessee
“Yum yum!”
Reviewed 14 May 2013

My wife & in-laws passed through Memphis on the way to/from Arkansas. We decided to look up some bbq joints in Memphis and found this one to be top-rated choice. We decided to stop in for lunch on the way home to Nashville. Upon entering, it was your typical great bbq restaurant - old kind of hole-in-the-wall. Small lobby, tons of employees running around the kitchen, and jammed packed with customers - could only mean one thing - good bbq! My wife & I shared a full rack with sides & banana pudding for dessert. Wow! Amazing! Ribs were full of flavor, moist, and had a nice char on them. I had the bbq beans and mac & cheese. Bbq beans were probably the best I've had. Mac & cheese was good; typical for a bbq joint. Banana pudding was awesome! Definitely homemade; one of the best I've had. Bathrooms could have used a cleaning, but what do you expect. This is one of those places that knows they have repeat business based on their food that they've done for years; not by how the inside of the building looks. We'll definitely return the next time we're in Memphis.

1 Thank Ryan P

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Raleigh, North Carolina
“CENTRAL BBQ”
Reviewed 13 May 2013

ribs were good but the brisket was tough and the pulled chicken was bland. This palce is just a fast food rib joint with a lot of sweaty cooks manning the kitchen...It was OK but in whole we found Memephis BBQ dissapointing....

Visited March 2013
1 Thank airbetty
Middleton, Tennessee
“Quantity, not Quality”
Reviewed 11 May 2013

After hearing how good the BBQ is at Central BBQ, I visited it during lunch while working in Memphis. I was disappointed in the meat here. BBQ was lacking in flavor. I got the pork plate with fries, beans, and a roll. The pork had no flavor, but. the sides were good. I really liked the hot sauce. But the meat didn't have much flavor.The service was good. we went at 11:30 and a line was already formed and still had a line when we left, so expect a wait at time.

1 Thank Earl B
Richardson, Texas
“I Must Not Get It?”
Reviewed 7 May 2013

After reading so many positive reviews, and being told that I haven't had good Memphis BBQ until I visited here, I must admit that I was quite disappointed in the meats here.

I was psyched to get ahold of this differently prepared BBQ to find it extremely lacking in flavor. The ribs were dry and overcooked, the brisket was dry, and the sausage tasted like something that you could buy in the grocery store. I like different prepared BBQ, but the meat simply had no texture, moisture, or flavor.

The sides were exceptional, and I really liked the variety of their sauces. But the meat didn't hold its own stand alone, and in my opinion that is the definition of great BBQ!!!!

The service was awesome, and we sat at the bar counter and had fun conversations with the server/cashier over the course of our meal.

Expect large crowds, and a wait at times. We arrived just before the dinner rush, and got lucky with quicker service.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank DeepBlueDives
Philadelphia, PA
“Best BBQ we had in Memphis”
Reviewed 4 May 2013

My wife and I recently stayed two days in Memphis and managed to eat BBQ three times. Central BBQ was by far the best we had. This is real BBQ made by two former BBQ championship circuit cooks. These guys really know how it supposed to be done. There is nothing fancy here for atmosphere but you get "fall off the bone" ribs and outstanding beef brisket. Several varieties of sauce were available that were outstanding and unique. Sides were also home made, nothing out of a can here. Overall, this was the kind of BQ I drove 2,200 miles to Memphis to find. I was not disappointed. It was also right across the street from the hotel were Martin Luther King was shot, so we also toured this moving memorial.

3 Thank WGK_traveler