“First Memphis Stay”

Courtyard Memphis East/Park Avenue
Ranked #49 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
“First Memphis Stay”
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

I thought this hotel was excellent in location, cleanliness, & staff professionalism. Having a room on the "train" side of the building was not even a problem. Where my cousin & I had issues was with the TV channel selections - whenever we were in the room, which, thank goodness, wasn't most of the time on this trip, we felt trapped in a room with limited TV options; lots of sports channels but other entertainment was very limited, i.e. no OnDemand/PayPerView.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank JB S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I really enjoyed staying again at this hotel. The staff is always so helpful. When I checked in on July 17 the front desk ladies were very helpful, but it was Sherryl the housekeeper that really made my stay wonderful. I talked to her for a few minutes and was a pleasure to talk to. Also my room was extremely clean. There's nothing bad about this hotel. I had the room on the side of the train tracks and heard them a couple of times through the night, but it didn't affect my opinion of my stay. I will definitely recommend this hotel to others.

Room Tip: Rooms on the opposite side of the train tracks are quieter.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Lubbock, Texas
Reviewed 17 July 2014

My husband, child and I stayed three nights as part of our vacation through TN. We arrived late on a Thursday evening in pouring rain after a very long drive from Texas. Thankfully, our room key was already available so check in was quick and efficient. And we checked in about two min.

Lobby was recently renovated and it very modern with a very clean look. Bistro was not open that late and we never did eat there our three days there but it always appeared busy when I would walk by.

Our room was on the second floor and it was very clean and everything was in working order. Our room overlooked the pool. The pool was not open our entire stay and we were given various reasons as to why it was not open. The beds were very comfortable and all three of us slept very well. Shower pressure in our room was not the greatest but it did the job. Bathroom was clean and housekeeping did a great job in servicing our room.

Every employee we encountered was pleasant and always offered a good morning or hello or answered any questions we had .

There is a ton of shopping and eating places around the hotel or within a few minutes drive. One thing I will say is that the hotel can be hard to find if you are unfamiliar with the Memphis area like we were. We arrived at night in pouring rain and the signage on Memphis streets is not the best. So we missed the street to turn on to three times because we could not see the street name sign. There is also hospital across the street which we had to use when my husband became sick on the drive to Memphis.

I had plans to see a friend of mine who lives in MS and as it turns out, the hotel was only minutes away by surface streets.

Overall, an awesome stay and I would not hesitate to stay here again. Easy access to Memphis attractions and the hotel is on a quiet street.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Denver
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This is my top pick for business travel to Memphis. Clean, comfortable space, great location to airport, my office, nice restaurants and shopping. The staff are wonderful! Recent renovation, cafe style restaurant on site is perfect - fast and friendly service in the morning.

TIPS - ask for a room that does not face the train - or bring ear plugs!!!

Restaurants close by - Amerigo italian is delicious. Also close by is PF Changs (you can walk to both).

Room Tip: Get a room opposite the train
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Katy, Texas
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This property was fantastic for our gathering! I chose it based on the proximity to Owen Brennan's Restaurant where we were having the party. From the moment we arrived on Friday night the staff went over and beyond the call of duty to make sure we had everything we needed. Lisa was at the front desk both Saturday and Sunday and she was SUPERB! She called me by name every time I saw her and always wore a smile on her face. WHen I asked if we could use the grill and utensils for later that day she quickly got our name "in the books" and set aside the grilling tools for us...which we never in fact used ..

The hotel itself was very nice, clean and updated. There is a small lobby bar/breakfast and lunch café which was great for our morning Starbucks or evening cocktail.. The outside area of this property was the best for us...lots of comfortable seating areas in and around the pool. We continued our "reunion party" back at the hotel by the outdoor pool with about 40 of us and it worked out well...even a big grassy area for the boys to throw around the football...

There is also a small gym which kept of all our teenage boys occupied for a long time:)
Rooms were nice and very comfortable beds...

If we are ever in the East Memphis area again we will definitely return to this hotel...

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Travis M, General Manager at Courtyard Memphis East/Park Avenue, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Thank so much for sharing your experience at our hotel. We are glad that we made your trip to Memphis a pleasant and comfortable one. Again, thank you and your review will be shared with the entire staff. Hope to see you again on your next trip to the Bluff City!
Coral Springs, Florida
Reviewed 21 March 2014

I am commuting back and forth from the northeast to Memphis for business and I have stayed at a few of the Memphis properties. This is a nice Courtyard facility and it is located near some stores and good places to eat. There is only one drawback: they have gone to a café style breakfast and although the food choices and prices were fine but in the morning when you need to grab and go, it is not the most efficient system. They should consider a coffee bar for those needing to grab some coffee and avoid the line. Otherwise, this hotel is great!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Travis M, General Manager at Courtyard Memphis East/Park Avenue, responded to this review, 22 March 2014
We greatly appreciate your business here at the Courtyard Memphis Park Avenue. We also appreciate the feedback you provide us as we always strive to make our guests' experiences more efficient and refreshing. Your comments regarding your stay will be shared in our daily staff meeting and we hope you continue to have pleasant experiences with us. Thank you again for allowing us to service your lodging needs while traveling to Memphis.
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 2 March 2014

It had been over 5+ years since I stayed at this Courtyard..I am so glad I decided to return! You could tell as soon as you walked in that it had been nicely renovated! The staff were great and easily accommodated my request for a quiet room. I travel to this part of Memphis about once a month but stayed away due to proximity to train tracks. I had a great quiet nite's sleep! This was business for me but would be a great place to bring family..especially in warmer months. The outside pool area looked very nice. The fitness center had a few more pieces of cardio equipment than most Courtyards. I even think the quality of the bedding(sheets) was "better than average"....felt more like quality you would find at a Marriott or JW. I will return most certainly!

Room Tip: Request room facing inside toward Courtyard.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business