“Nice room but overall hotel is boring”

Sheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel
Ranked #19 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Nice room but overall hotel is boring”
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I only stayed one night and booked using priceline's "name your own price" for under $75 (does not include taxes & fees). For the price, I cannot complain too much.

PROS:
-Room: Clean & Nice; larger than expected. Bed was comfortable. Great view of the river & Pyramid.
-Right off the Trolley line ($1/ride-one way): convenient since the hotel is further away from Beale St. than many of the other hotels.
-Easy to find metered parking that was free after 6pm (at least when we checked in on a Tues night).

CONS:
-Front desk/Reception area isn't very inviting. It had dim lighting, no color (just beige/tan), very boring and bland.
-Hotel seems to cater to Business travelers (who just need a place to sleep) more so than tourists (who may be looking for more amenities and a warm, inviting environment).
-Location: a bit further away from the main DT area. Was dead in the area when I stayed in late November.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank traveler282843323
Dan P, Manager at Sheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 4 January 2014
Thanks for your review of the hotel. I will say that it sounds like you came at a very slow time of the year when not much is happening in Memphis. But then again...that's when all the good deals are available to stay in hotels! I hope you can come back and visit us again once our renovation is completed - next fall/winter! This place is going to be the gem of downtown Memphis! Happy New Year!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Decent location, you can get the historical trolly down to Beale Street and a cab at night, quiet location, great spacious rooms - stayed in room 1426 over Thanksgiving and it was spacious and had a lovely view of Main St. Front desk staff were so welcoming as was the valet. Our issue was with the housekeepers. Generally it was OK but the room could do with a deep clean (i just don't think they have the time, or perhaps the training to really understand) found hairs in the tub for example. We enjoyed the Starbucks coffee in the room but they forget to leave milk or replace the sachets of coffee. Then the day after we'd used up the great notepad and that wasn't replaced. But we were given 3 extra soaps! Go figure! The worst was our last night we get back after being out all day, exhausted only to find the room was never cleaned, no beds made, no clean towels, no garbage empty - nothing!!! Totally overlooked. We were too tired to call down at that stage but did mention it upon checking out. But in all my years of travel never have i been totally 'forgotten about'. The other thing was we wanted to order a movie but the button to order on our remote wasn't working, we did call about it twice to front desk but it was never fixed during our stay. Oh and we'd brought our swimwear but we were told the pool was closed but we could get passes for the YMCA!!?? A bit off brand for a Sheraton I feel? I would have liked to have known this about the pool when i booked. Memphis has a great selection downtown of good price point hotels, this hotel has great potential it just need to pick it up some more.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dan P, Manager at Sheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 7 December 2013
Dear Bissey,
My sincere apologies to you for the terrible housekeeping service your received during your stay. I have already shared this review with our entire Housekeeping Department so that another guest does not have the same experience. Our pool and fitness center is under renovation to bring it up to Sheraton Standards as we just converted this hotel from a Marriott to Sheraton in August. I'm sorry you did not know about the renovations. It is listed on our website and in the confirmation letters....however if you booked your reservation with another 3rd party such as Priceline or Hotwire...the details tend to end up in the "small print". If you ever come back to Memphis please let me know so I can ensure you receive VIP service on your next visit. And hopefully you will be able to enjoy our new state of the art pool and fitness center. Many thanks for your comments as it helps me identify areas in the hotel that need improvement.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We booked a 2 night stay at the hotel over the Thanksgiving Holiday. We had to move out of our original spacious room (1606) because there was a problem with the door locks. We were then moved to a smaller corner room (930) that was infested with lady bugs. The hotel offered complementary breakfast for the inconvenience only after I call to discuss the issues. The Sheraton has the potential to be one of the best in downtown Memphis, the staff is great. Dominique and Phylis at the front desk and Dameisha in loss prevention were all very courteous and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor in the newer tower.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Kevin S
Dear Kevin S.
Those darn lady bugs tend to come out of the woodwork when we least expect it. Apparently Memphis is known for the Lady Bug activity and sometimes can be a hassle for us. I'm happy to read that we were able to rectify the problem for you as we always want to take care of our guest. Thank you for praising Phylis, Dominique and Dameisha who always work hard to deliver exceptional service. I will be sure to share this review in our next employee rally. We are continuing to get better and better each day. Our Fitness Center renovation is almost complete and in Jun 2014, we start our major renovation with all the guest rooms and public space. I hope you come back to enjoy it! Cheers.
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Booked a 2 night stay about a month in advance. We checked in on time no problem. When we got to our room, it was dirty from the previous guests. We had to find a maid to ask to clean it who was just finishing cleaning an adjacent room. When I called the front desk, I asked if we could move rooms and they said no. I thought this was pretty crappy. I found the rooms to be average. The next morning we ordered room service breakfast. How long can 2 orders of pancakes really take? We were told about 20 min. After an hour went by, we canceled the order. You have to pay 20 a day for their underground parking which I knew upfront. It was a crappy stay for the price IMO. We were told $129 per night= $258 for 2 nights which ended up being $347.22 after parking, fees, and taxes.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dan P, Manager at Sheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
CJB - not good...please call me when you get a chance. I definately want to make it right for you. My motto is if we can't deliver warm, friendly hospitality and a clean room, then shame on us. I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience here with us. Thanks for writing this so I know what happened to you. We do our best to be the best...but sometimes we fall short! Please call me and I will take care of you. Dan Putnam, 901-214-3717. Thank you.
Bucks
Reviewed 24 November 2013

What a lovely welcome. So helpful . Happy to tell us where we could park across the road for $5 per night. Great tip - $3 ticket for all day travelling on the Memphis. Great location as trolley stops,outside th hotel. Recommended taking the trolley right round the city - great tip !
The room was clean and quiet. Would definitely return

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LilyBucks
The staff really is the driver of all....good and bad....and we are proud to have some of the best employees in the hospitality industry right here in Memphis! It really is true what they say about "Southern Hospitality". I just moved to the mid south myself a few months ago....and the people here are awesome...they have a spirit in them that always shines! I'm taking your advice and doing the trolley tour around the city. I've only been on it a few times and never took the full trip! Thanks for your comments and for staying with us. We look forward to having you back soon! Cheers!
Alabama
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

I booked a room at this hotel when it was a Marriott back at the end of the summer for an October stay. However I cancelled the reservation, also through Marriott, and thought that was the end of it. Unfortunately that's where my problems began. Sheraton somehow got my credit card number from Marriott and charged me for a 1 night penalty which I have been trying in vain to be resolved ever since. As soon as I realized it was on my bill, I called Sheraton reservations for help. Since I am a Starrwood Preferred Guests member I figured they would try to help me and sure enough, after holding for about 15 minutes, the friendly woman at reservations said that my charge would be credited back to my Visa card withing "7-10 days." So I waited patiently but after 3 weeks nothing had happened. So I called the hotel directly and spoke with the manager on duty (should have written his name down). He seemed somewhat sympathetic and after taking all my information down said he was going to "walk it right back" to the person in his business office who could fix the problem. He promised I would get a call back that same day. 5 days later (including 3 business days) I have heard nothing and not seen a credit back to my Visa either of course. While I understand how a mix-up between the Marriott and Sheraton reservation systems might have occured, the inability to solve this simple problem has created a huge headache and been a monumental waste of time for me. I'm about to have to file a dispute with Visa which will reverse the charges, get copies of my original cancellation from Marriott, and ultimately end up causing an even bigger headache for somebody at Sheraton when they have to try and explain to Visa why they made an authorized charge on my card. All this for less than $150. It's dumb, just dumb. No way I would ever recommend this hotel to anyone, and probably steer clear of other Sheraton properties in general after this experience.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Please call me directly so that I can fix this error for you - my number is 901-214-3717 - Dan Putnam. Unfortunately when we received the reservations from Marriott to enter into our system, they probably never cancelled your reservation. If they did, we would not have received your reservation information, therefore, on the night of arrival, since you were a no show, the system automatically posts a no show charge for one nights room and tax. I'm sorry that someone at the hotel dropped the ball the first time you called to inquire about this. I look forward to hearing from you and personally taking care of this situation for you. Thanks.
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice in the last year....when it was still the Marriott. The hotel is very nice. The staff is great! The one staff member who stands out is Greg Kindle. My first stay there he walked me to the trolley stop and made sure the driver knew where I wanted to get off. On my second stay there he happened to be walking through the lobby and came and gave me a huge hug and greeted me like a great friend. Both of my stays there he was eager to tell me which restaurants he thought I would like best. He is an outstanding employee. There are many hotel choices in that area, but the employee hospitality is what would bring me back.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
I LOVE this review....thank you for sharing your experience with one of our best employees Greg Kindle! He works in our purchasing/receiving department and always strives to be the best every day! Bringing people together is what Greg does best! We want this to be your "home away from home" when you travel to Memphis.....I think we accomplished that!! Please know that I will be recognizing Greg for this outstanding review at our next Employee Rally.