“Nice hotel, except for unexpected guest”

Sheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel
Ranked #18 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I recently stayed here with my family during a road trip. The bed was very comfy, location was great and room service was good. In addition to room service, we ordered food at the bar in the lobby which wasn't as good. The only flaw I found was the presence of a huge roach in the bathroom after we turned on the light in the bathroom. It was big and fast! After a while, we were able to kill it, but it kind of ruined the rest of our stay. I took pictures and informed the front desk when we checked out the next day. Fortunately we left a lot of the luggage in the car or I would have been terribly worried about a roach in our belongings.

Room Tip: We got a good price through Priceline. There are parking meters on the side of the hotel if you'...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Dan P, Manager at Sheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2014

I'm so sorry to read that there was a roach in your room. We do our best to control all the little critters that live and breath in Memphis from entering our hotel, but it's not 100% bullet proof! Next time I would encourage you to call the front desk as we would be more than happy to take care of the situation and also move you to another room. Thanks for this feedback as it helps me identify areas in the hotel that need improvement. I hope you will come back and try us again should your travels bring you back to Memphis. Happy New Year.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

Christmas night, everyone working but it didn't dampen their spirits in fact they were funny and charming and helpful. I can't remember all their names but from front desk, valet guy, cute little girl taking me to easier elevator with wheel chair all felt like family. We then went down to beautiful marble lobby to restaurant and encountered another fun girl in the waitress. Lots of laughter made for a great Christmas when we had to be at VA hospital next day! In the morning they called us a quick cab and off to appointment no parking lot problems, life savers. Highly recommend, food was great too!

1  Thank FriendlyFaceBridget

Here is another review my staff is going to love! It's amazing how people in our business can deliver a great experience even when taken away from their own families on such important holidays to serve others! Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to acknowledge that. I am very proud of our team here as they all have the heart to do a great job for our guests. Thank you for staying with us on Christmas! Come back soon!

Reviewed 18 December 2013

Not gonna lie, when we read the reviews we were hesitant to stay here, but we had a pleasant stay.
Check in was great, staff very friendly and welcoming.
Room was clean and very spacious. Bathroom appeared to be updated and larger than normal.
Beds were small (you should really update to queens) but decent. A little firm, but I've definitely slept on worse.
The second night of our stay our neighbors decided they wanted to smoke a little weed, which reeked through the adjoining door we shared. We listened to security come at least 3 times from 10pm-630 in the morning. After the first time security came it was pretty amazing how a strong scent of perfume overcame the room. Honesty, not sure why they weren't kicked out. But anyway......
The nightstand in the room was vey beat up and tired. Had to of been around a while.
The location of this place was pretty good. About a mile and a short trolley ride away from Beale.
If given a good deal, we may return.
Overall, we were treated great.

1  Thank Heard

It is always nice to deliver beyond the expectations of our guests and I'm so happy that we did that for you! Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor! I hope you can come back after our major renovation - it's going to be an amazing place once it's all done! Happy New Year!

Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

It was a pleasant experience. Hotel staff was nice and helpful. Good location. Rooms were updated and nice. The pool was closed due to renovatons during our stay, but they have organized a use of YMCA's pool for Sheraton guests. We did not take advantage of it, but it was thoughtful.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

I really like this review...very simple, honest, and nice! Hopefully you can come back in the future once our pool is finished. The new Sheraton Fitness Center is already in full swing and our guests love the new renovations. Always trying to improve so we can deliver great value to our guests. Thanks for the review...truly appreciated.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

We stayed here for three days while preparing to embark on a Mississippi Riverboat Cruise (two days and nights before the cruise, and one day and night after we returned from the cruise). The hotel property itself is probably in the good four star range, but what made it a five star for us was the OUTSTANDING and FRIENDLY service. Everyone on staff went out of their way to make our stay relaxing and enjoyable. We were well looked after: all our questions were answered, information was shared about tours, restaurants, attractions, and sights & sites in the vacinity that we might like to check out. Also, our car and belngings were well looked after while we were cruising. Take a bow, Sheraton Memphis Downtown. You have a great team there. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KayTee9

Thank you so much for acknowledging the fantastic service you received during your stay with us. This review is going to be a huge motivator to our staff as they work hard every day to make great things happen for our guests! Glad you enjoyed the Riverboad Cruise....I myself want to get on the Queen Mary and float away for a few days! Everyone tells me how wonderful it is! Come back and see us soon....we look forward to it! Happy New Year!!

Reviewed 7 December 2013

I only stayed one night and booked using priceline's "name your own price" for under $75 (does not include taxes & fees). For the price, I cannot complain too much.

PROS:
-Room: Clean & Nice; larger than expected. Bed was comfortable. Great view of the river & Pyramid.
-Right off the Trolley line ($1/ride-one way): convenient since the hotel is further away from Beale St. than many of the other hotels.
-Easy to find metered parking that was free after 6pm (at least when we checked in on a Tues night).

CONS:
-Front desk/Reception area isn't very inviting. It had dim lighting, no color (just beige/tan), very boring and bland.
-Hotel seems to cater to Business travelers (who just need a place to sleep) more so than tourists (who may be looking for more amenities and a warm, inviting environment).
-Location: a bit further away from the main DT area. Was dead in the area when I stayed in late November.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank traveler282843323

Thanks for your review of the hotel. I will say that it sounds like you came at a very slow time of the year when not much is happening in Memphis. But then again...that's when all the good deals are available to stay in hotels! I hope you can come back and visit us again once our renovation is completed - next fall/winter! This place is going to be the gem of downtown Memphis! Happy New Year!

Reviewed 3 December 2013

Decent location, you can get the historical trolly down to Beale Street and a cab at night, quiet location, great spacious rooms - stayed in room 1426 over Thanksgiving and it was spacious and had a lovely view of Main St. Front desk staff were so welcoming as was the valet. Our issue was with the housekeepers. Generally it was OK but the room could do with a deep clean (i just don't think they have the time, or perhaps the training to really understand) found hairs in the tub for example. We enjoyed the Starbucks coffee in the room but they forget to leave milk or replace the sachets of coffee. Then the day after we'd used up the great notepad and that wasn't replaced. But we were given 3 extra soaps! Go figure! The worst was our last night we get back after being out all day, exhausted only to find the room was never cleaned, no beds made, no clean towels, no garbage empty - nothing!!! Totally overlooked. We were too tired to call down at that stage but did mention it upon checking out. But in all my years of travel never have i been totally 'forgotten about'. The other thing was we wanted to order a movie but the button to order on our remote wasn't working, we did call about it twice to front desk but it was never fixed during our stay. Oh and we'd brought our swimwear but we were told the pool was closed but we could get passes for the YMCA!!?? A bit off brand for a Sheraton I feel? I would have liked to have known this about the pool when i booked. Memphis has a great selection downtown of good price point hotels, this hotel has great potential it just need to pick it up some more.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Dan P, Manager at Sheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2013

Dear Bissey,
My sincere apologies to you for the terrible housekeeping service your received during your stay. I have already shared this review with our entire Housekeeping Department so that another guest does not have the same experience. Our pool and fitness center is under renovation to bring it up to Sheraton Standards as we just converted this hotel from a Marriott to Sheraton in August. I'm sorry you did not know about the renovations. It is listed on our website and in the confirmation letters....however if you booked your reservation with another 3rd party such as Priceline or Hotwire...the details tend to end up in the "small print". If you ever come back to Memphis please let me know so I can ensure you receive VIP service on your next visit. And hopefully you will be able to enjoy our new state of the art pool and fitness center. Many thanks for your comments as it helps me identify areas in the hotel that need improvement.