“Friendly but needs an update”

Sheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel
Ranked #20 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Boca Raton, Florida
“Friendly but needs an update”
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for first time. Will try Westin on Beale next time to be closer to the downtown action and higher end hotel. This was below average for Sheraton. Nothing wrong with the hotel but it seems neglected by its operator. Club lounge food was disappointing.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank PAQ
Dan P, Manager at Sheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear PAQ,

The Sheraton took over this property less than a year ago and we are making huge improvments to the property. We just finshed our fitness center, meeting space, and pool area and in June we are upgrading all of the rooms and public space. We look forward to delivering a new product to our guests this fall. Thank you for staying with us and sharing your review on Trip Advisor. I hope you get a chance to come back and see the transformation.
Dan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We chose the Sheraton so we would be close to all the downtown attractions. First, the room is clean and well appointed. It's also extremely noisy from the adjoining rooms so if you are expected a quiet night, it isn't likely. We stayed on the 17th floor, a club level room. The view would have been nice other than it appears as though the windows haven't been cleaned for over a year.

The club level offers a breakfast on the 19th floor and it was a free for all. Too small for the number of guests, woefully understaffed so there was no busing of tables, LONG waits for any of the buffet food, just plain poorly managed, but then that would imply there was any presence of management.

Sheraton is supposed to offer an upscale offering. This location doesn't. Next time I travel it's going to be a challenge to consider the Sheraton brand.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank zack001
Dear Zack,
My sincere apologies to you for the long wait in the club lounge for breakfast. The business levels in the lounge are hit and miss but I believe we can do better when we get a large crowd at the same time. Feedback from our guests is very important as it gives us opportunity to identify areas in the hotel that need improvement and I thank you for taking the time to share your experience so we can make it better for others. I hope that if you do return to Memphis you will give us another opportunity to accommodate you.
West Monroe, Louisiana, United States
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I stayed at the Sheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel from May 2nd - 4th for The Beale Street Music Festival and I must say this is the nicest hotel. The amenities, the staff, everything is so immaculate. The beds were so comfortable, plush bedding, and pillows. I've never slept so well. the lobby of the hotel is like no other. it's huge, and luxurious. So appealing to the eye. Just beautiful. Everything is immaculate. I loved everything about the hotel. The trolley was one of the best things available. We were able to go from and to the hotel to just about anywhere we wanted to go. And for $9.00 for the entire weekend, you can't buy fare with a taxi cheaper.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Linda M
Dan P, Manager at Sheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Greetings Linda!
You are invited back to our house anytime! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience of our hotel on Trip Advisor! This means alot to us at the Sheraton Memphis and I can't wait to share your review with the rest of the team this coming Friday at our all employee line-up! I'm so glad you had a great time while in Memphis! This is my first "Memphis in May" experience and it is GREAT! And even better is the weather...I guess it usually rains during the big events! Not this time. Come back soon....our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed awaits your return.
Cheers,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 4 May 2014

This hotel needs some work. First, on the good side:

The room had a nice LED or LCD TV. It is right across from the Convention Center, and there is a walkway from the 2nd floor of the hotel into the Convention Center. The room and bathroom had good lighting. My room had a small refrigerator. The beds were firm, and the hot water came quickly out of the sink and showerhead. The fitness center on the 3rd floor had good cardio and weight machines. The hotel bar was pretty nice with a very nice staff. The Main Street trolley stops right at the hotel.

Now, for the not so good items:

-The floor of the bath tub was very dirty. Even after cleaning, it was still dirty.

-The shower pressure was barely adequate.

-There was NO alarm clock in the room.

-The room did NOT have an in-room safe. If you want to store anything, you have to go to the front desk.

-One of the closet doors was broken and did not slide.

-They had all sorts of problems finding a package that I had delivered to the hotel for a meeting. It took them nearly a day to find it (just in time for my meeting).

-When I asked for the "green choice" one night, and then did not ask for it the next night, they did not clean my room (and I got the $5 voucher). I had to call the front desk and found out that if you put it out one night, they assume that you want it every night of your stay. I nearly ran out of towels, and had to call a couple of times to ensure that my room was cleaned one day. So just be careful at this hotel with the "green choice". They can't seem to handle it if you only want it one or two nights of a longer stay.

-The hotel has only one restaurant and one gift shop with some food items. The food at the restaurant left a lot to be desired. One night, when I asked for a table for 4 (and there were about 30 empty tables out of about 35), the hostess asked me to wait. She came back and asked if we could wait 40-45 minutes, as they only had one server on duty! This was on a night when the hotel was pretty full, if not completely full, due to a conference. Needless to say, we went elsewhere.

-You have to walk several blocks to get decent eating options. If you having a meeting at the convention center, please know that there are no food options at the convention center, just vending machines with soda or candy.

Room Tip: I was on a higher floor that may have been quieter than other floors.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Steve R
Dear SRTravel07,
I was disappointed to read that you had some challenges during your stay. We strive to provide excellent service and accommodations to every guest and sometimes we do fall short. Thank you for participating in the Make A Green Choice Program. I do want you to know that you can opt out of the program anytime during your stay. Perhaps there was some miscommunication on our part about the program. We have a special code that is put into the reservation that helps the staff identify who is in and who is not. When you opt out of the program, we are supposed to remove the code from your reservation and then your room will fall on the housekeeping board for service. Some of our bath tubs are worn and the good news is that we are starting a huge rennovation in June to fix/update some of these areas that need it. We will also be adding the in-room safes with this rennovation so we are very excited! Thanks for staying with us while you were in town on business. I hope you will come back and try us again.
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I stayed in the Sheraton Memphis Downtown for one night during a business trip and it was a very nice stay. The accommodations were good, the rooms very clean and the staff very accommodating. I will definitely be back. Great southern hospitality!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank BoLaterveer
Dan P, Manager at Sheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Dear BoLaterveer!
Bravo! I'm so glad we met your expectation while you stayed with us on here on business. Our staff is always standing by to assist our guests with top notch service! I hope you were able to experience our Valet Parking service as they always do a superb job handling our guest arrival and departures. Thanks for staying with us. Can't wait to have you back!

Cheers,
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We booked this hotel because we got a company discount and because we thought we were familiar with Sheraton standards. Although this hotel is not all bad, the room was. There was a little mold in the shower and a crack on the mirrored closet door. We mentioned these things upon checkout and the front desk clerk seemed genuinely concerned, discounting the room slightly for our troubles; Our concerns were handled very professionally. As a whole, the interior of this hotel is in need of a good freshening up.

Parking was at a cost of $22 a day and although the valet did tell us about parking across the street, he also told us that it would cost us $5 each time we entered the lot - so depending on how many times we returned to the hotel in one day, the cost would change. I have noticed that other reviewers mentioned a $10 lot, but we were never given that information. I would suggest asking the question directly.

Aside from the room needing some updating, the only other complaint I have is the coffee/creamer/sweetener. They provide you with two servings of coffee and if you want more you have go buy it in the gift shop! These seems to be a trend in some of the hotels I have been staying in recently and I am not happy about it (apparently I am not alone per an article I read on the HotelChatter website).

Lastly, the trolley that will take you down to Beale Street has a stop located right outside the hotel doors. This is very convenient and at a cost of $1.00 each way - pretty cost effective too. In my opinion, the location of this hotel is not terrible as one reviewer mentioned; unless you expect to be in middle of the action and of course pay more for your room. The location of the Shearton is comparable to the cost and with the Trolley service, there should be no complaints.

Although I expected more from a Shearton Hotel, I was not completely dissatisfied with my stay - We probably got what we paid for.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
I must say I enjoyed reading your comments about our hotel. I believe you gave a very fair and accurate review and I want to thank you for sharing your experience with others on trip advisor. I hope when you return to Memphis you stay with us again! Our rooms are being rennovated this summer and I can't wait to show them off to all of our guests! Have a great day!
Warm Regards,
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Stayed at the Sheraton for 2 nights in February 2014 on business travel. Being a SPG member, I can usually count on the Sheraton brand as a great hotel. However, very disappointed with the Sheraton Downtown Memphis. In dire need of a face lift! Rooms were so, so. I was on the club floor and the club lounge was pitiful! The appetizer selection sparce, the room was dingy and not clean. They never had the lounge set up in time for the 5:00p.m. service, instead taking their time to set things up while guests waited. Front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. This hotel has no self parking, only Valet, which is complementary except for the tips to the driver fetching in and out your car. The restaurant was open for breakfast only and closed on both nights we were there, so we had to eat dinner in their pub style bar. The bartenders were NOT friendly, and the food was terrible. I believe this hotel was only purchased by the Sheraton less than 1 year ago. However they need to move forward with sprucing it up quickly. Would I stay there again, not unless it was updated!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Jaysee2011 -
Good news......our hotel is slated for a major rennovation this summer. Now that we have completed the fitness center, pool and second floor meeting space, it is time to blow up the lobby and bring on all the Sheraton finess. We will be putting in a lobby bar along with the Sheraton Link powered by Microsoft and all of our 600 rooms are getting done as well. I'm sorry you had terrible service in the bar. Please know I will share these comments with our bartending staff so that they can improve their service and another guest won't have the same experience. I hope you come back to the Sheraton next time you are in Memphis! You will really like the new look.