“Great potential”

Crowne Plaza Memphis East
Ranked #60 of 139 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Booked through Travelocity. Put in a blind bid (ala Priceline) for a 3-star hotel in Memphis and got Hotel Memphis. When i got there it was clear that it used to be a Marriott but was no longer. It was not a 3-star hotel. When i arrived there was no one to help with my bags. I had to get the cart and haul the bags to my room. There was no room service but flyers magically appeared each morning under my door from various local restaurants that could deliver to my room. Strange but I tried one and the food was pretty good. Free breakfast was alright but nothing special. There are very few people that look like they work there. I didn't see any security people. That's strange too for such a large hotel. Frames with no pictures. Scratched walls and torn wall paper suggest that they could definitely use some detail-oriented folks to apply some TLC. TV connection (TV was old tube type) was bad resulting in fuzzy picture. My room was generally good and the people at the front desk were nice so I stayed. I really hate to write anything negative because I know they are new and trying to get things going but I hope they will keep moving forward to improve service and that they take care of "the little things" that could move it up to 3-star status.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank FamilyMan526
MarriottMemphis, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Memphis East, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

We rely on our guests to let us know how we are doing and where we can improve. Thank you for taking the time to share your constructive comments, as we truly appreciate your candid feedback. We are fully committed to enhancing the guest experience and improving our services. We greatly appreciate your trust in us and hope you will allow us another chance to impress you in the future.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

It Is Clear That The Ownership And Management Of The Hotel Memphis Have No Concern For The Safety, Welfare, Morale, And Support Of Their "Guests" (Merely A Customer In Ownership's Eyes) As A Motorcycle Gang (ROUGH RIDERS) Was Allowed To Have Free Reign Over The Entire Hotel Complex. Is It Any Wonder That A Rash Of Automobile Burglaries Has Occurred?
There Was No Effort Expended By The Hotel Ownership To Maintain Noise Discipline, Crowd Control, Nor General Local Code Governing Human Behavior. The Ownership Permitted Public Drunkenness, Lewd Conduct, Disturbances Of The Peace, Fire-Code Violations, Etc. Yet, The Hotel Staff Seemed Shocked That One Would Complain Of This.
I Travel Extensively As My Career Demands That I Do So. I Utilize Hotels For The Sole Purpose Of Resting, Relaxing, And Sleeping. I Was Denied The Opportunity To Do So Due To Rude And Disrespectful Customers (ROUGH RIDER MOTORCYCLE GANG MEMBERS), Non-Existent Hotel Security, And Hotel Ownership That Does Not Care About Hospitality.
The Hotel Memphis Is Not A Hotel. It Is The Chapter-House For Any STREET-GANG That Can Afford To Pay The Nightly Rate.
I Am A Young, Professional, Educated Black Man Who Is Repulsed By The Absolute Absence Of Civilized Behavior By The Rough Riders. And I Find It More Appalling That What Should Have Been An Issue Addressed By Individuals Trained As "Hospitality" Professionals And Completely Ignored By The Hotel Ownership Required Official Police Intervention.
All In All, The Hotel Memphis Is An Abject Failure As An Inn Of Hospitality, Unless One Is A Motorcycle Gang Member. To The Gang Member, The Hotel Memphis Is A Safe Haven And Paradise Where The Scum Of The Earth Reign! To The Street-Kings, The Hotel Memphis Is Their Castle. But To The Honest, Hard-Working, Civilized Guest In Search Of Respite, The Hotel Memphis Is An House Of Horror! Let The Decent Beware!

Room Tip: Go To The East Memphis Marriott Or Hilton! Avoid The Hotel Memphis (A.K.A. "GANG CENTRAL"...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Courtney P

On behalf of our staff, I'd like to extend my heartfelt apologies for the poor impression you have gained of our hotel. Your experience does not reflect the high standards we wish to deliver and we are truly sorry for any noise disruptions and inconveniences that you encountered from other guests. Please know that the safety, security and well being of our guests remain our highest priority. Our highly trained staff works around the clock to ensure all noise levels are kept to a minimum and that each guest enjoys their stay. It is extremely disappointing to learn of your unsatisfactory experience and we encourage you to reach out to us directly so we can further discuss your experience.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Recently had to make the 30 hour journey from Portland, Maine to Austin, TX. Memphis was one of the cities I chose as a stopping point. As I was really only looking for a comfortable place to rest for 12 hours or so, I couldn't really justify the $149/night rate at my preferred hotel chain, so I opted to book my hotel via Hotwire. The result was the "Hotel Memphis." It is a former Marriott, but it is not in the greatest part of town (not the worst either, to be fair). It was just kind of "meh."

Due, in part, to the EST to CST time change, I arrived at the hotel about two hours before check-in time. I stood at the front desk for a good 6-7 minutes waiting for a clerk or someone to show up to check me in (not a great start). Eventually, I flagged down a member of housekeeping and asked her if she could get someone to the front desk to help me out. But just as I asked, a gentleman emerged from a door behind the counter. After the long wait, I was a bit perturbed that he walked right by me without so much as an acknowledgment and instead proceeded to speak with the woman from housekeeping. Strike two.

I was getting angry and was about to interrupt their conversation when the woman from housekeeping pointed to me and said to the desk clerk, "you should help this gentleman out." At this point, he finally made eye contact with me and asked what I needed without so much as a "welcome," "please," "thank you for waiting" or "I apologize for the delay." Strike 3... and I've only been at the hotel for 10 minutes at this point.

After all of this, I wasn't feeling great about the prospect of an early check-in, but he actually had a room available, noting three times in our conversation that I was a "Hotwire guest" and that this status made me ineligible for certain services, such as the complimentary breakfast (which I could upgrade to for $10). The whole "Hotwire guest" thing is something I've encountered at other hotels and the smug tone which some desk clerks use when uttering this phrase always seems to be code for telling the patron that they are "less than" in some way. Nevertheless, I was thankful to be off the road for the day. I went ahead and checked-in.

I arrived to my room to find that my "less than" experience wasn't going to be limited to the attitude of the desk clerk. The room itself was okay, but it is clearly one of those less-than-stellar rooms designated for Hotwire and Priceline guests: beds with mattresses so broken-in that you feel as though you've sunk to the floor, no television remote or channel guide to be found, a cabinet which—at one point—held a refrigerator but was now empty, a faulty thermostat which consistently read 60 degrees (despite being hot as blazes), etc... Plus, despite telling the front desk clerk how I was really just looking forward to getting some rest, I was wedged in between the highest traffic areas possible --- the elevator and the vending area.

Again, I was exhausted and looking forward to getting a couple of hours of work done before resting, so I just made the best of the situation. The wifi signal was decent, so that was a plus. And the bath/shower products were a decent quality.

Unfortunately, that's about the extent of the positive things I can say for the hotel. They managed to put a loud family of 4-6 people in the room directly across from mine. Just about everyone has been subjected to this family at some point --- the family with small, poorly behaved children that insists on leaving their hotel door wide open and carrying on in the hallways, oblivious to the fact that they aren't the only people on the floor. So for the duration of that afternoon/evening, I was exposed to non-stop screaming, shouting, running, crying, etc... It was just charming.

I was out of there as early as possible the next morning.

Room Tip: Avoid room 207. It sits in a high traffic area, and the noise from the hallway (even without obnoxio...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank misterwinter
MarriottMemphis, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Memphis East, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

We greatly appreciate your insightful review and hope you'll accept our heartfelt apologies for the inconveniences that you encountered during your stay with us. We deeply regret if your room accommodations fell below your expectations and we are grateful for your candid feedback and valuable guest perspective. We aim to deliver top-notch service to each of our guests and regret that we missed the mark on this occasion. We are sorry to learn that noise disruptions from other guests impacted your time with us. We truly regret any frustrations you must have felt at this time. It is disappointing to know that we missed several opportunities to impress you and we hope you'll someday allow us another opportunity to welcome you back sometime in the future.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

My family of five enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Memphis. We had a car, so the off-the-beaten path location worked fine for us. The staff accommodated our request for 2 adjoining rooms. We were traveling with our young kids, so the well-heated indoor pool was a big hit. Beds were comfortable and rooms were a nice size. Only negative is that we left a bag behind (our fault), and after 3 weeks of leaving polite messages with the front desk and housekeeping, it took an angry call to the general manager to finally get a response. They located the bag and are shipping it back to us (our expense), so the problem was resolved- just wish it hadn't taken so much time and effort to get an answer. Overall, we would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank ArkansasEats

Thank you for sharing your kind comments regarding the customer service that you received. We are always happy to accommodate the requests of our guests whenever it is possible and we are glad to see that the adjoining rooms worked out so well for your family. I'd like to extend my sincere apologies for the length of time it took for your bag to be shipped back to you. We can understand your frustration, and while we are glad to see that this issue has been resolved, we regret any inconveniences you experienced as a result. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to The Hotel Memphis.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

This hotel has great room sizes, location and pool and spa, but service was awful and ruined our stay. We checked in to an unclean room and daily breakfast felt like an army drill. Staff barked instructions, but was uninformative and not helpful.
The front desk staff was apologetic and sincere, but their needs to be some heavy duty training for most staff (improved people skills would be huge.)
Also Business center was poor at best.
Its a shame because nice rooms and great location were ruined by poor service.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank davew49
MarriottMemphis, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Memphis East, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Thank you for sharing your impressions and guest perspective. I'd like to extend my apologies on behalf of my staff for the inconveniences that you encountered during your visit with us. It is disappointing to know that your stay did not reflect the high standards of customer service that we wish to achieve and we regret that we were not able to meet your expectations. We will use your comments as a training opportunity for our staff and hope you'll consider giving us the opportunity to welcome you back the next time you are in Memphis.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Found this hotel online and am glad I did. Clean and friendly. The hotel is in the midst of many upgrades so it will be even better on my next visit.
There was a mix up with my reservation but excellent staff solved the problem - I got an even better deal. I forgot part of my phone charger - no problem as I was provided with one for use during my stay.
Adding breakfast staff will be helpful - the place was packed, but all servers were bustling to keep everyone happy.

Room Tip: Close to airport. Lovely views.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

We are delighted that you found your way to The Hotel Memphis. Thank you for letting us know about your stay, as we are happy to know that our staff was able to provide with you a phone charger for the duration of your visit. We do regret if you encountered any inconveniences with our breakfast staff and we appreciate your constructive comments on how we can improve in this area. We will pass your comments along to our restaurant management and hope you'll allow us the pleasure to welcome you again.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Enjoyed our stay. Yes there were a couple of negatives but nothing horrible. Our room was not cleaned one day. But really we did not need it to be. When we ran out of towels, guess what we called front desk and they brought us some. I thought the beds were the most comfortable beds around. Very nice workout room. Indoor pool was good enough. For me breakfast was what free breakfast should be. Toast, bagels, oatmeal, fruit, cereal. Waffles, juice, egg and cheese omelet. It was not gourmet but was fine. Everyone was nice. Especially the hostess at breakfast. After one morning she had remembers family and names. Each morning she greeted us with a big good morning and chatted up a storm with my girls. I for sure return. Easy to get around town from this location

• Stayed: March 2014

It is wonderful to read your positive and encouraging remarks regarding your experience at breakfast. We are happy to learn that you were greeted each morning with a friendly welcome from our hostess. Thank you for summing up an experience we hope each of our guests has while staying with us. We are delighted that your recent stay has inspired a return visit and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Hotel Memphis again.