“Terrible”

Crowne Plaza Memphis East
Ranked #59 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed 12 August 2014

The facility was old and worn. The carpet was stained. Seen roaches in the resturant. Staff was nice but they even complained of their working conditions. GM is an idiot who clearly isnt ready to manage a full service hotels maybe a Motel 6, maybe.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Tyrone H
TheHotelMemphis, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Memphis East, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

All feedback from guests whether positive or otherwise is always appreciated as it helps us to better concentrate on areas of our hotel a guest may feel needs to be better addressed. We never wish to hear that our hotel did not meet a guest’s expectations and would like to apologize if we fell short in any way. Please rest assured that our hotel follows strict policies and procedures in reference to pests and inspections are regularly scheduled and performed. Your comments will be shared with our team. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

The staff was excellent and friendly but the amenities were lacking. The complimentary breakfast is over by 9. Really! I am on vacation and I cannot get up, showered and dressed to make the breakfast. There is no microwave or refrigerator in the room (even economy hotels have these nowadays). You may be able to get one if you request upon check-in but it costs $30 and there is a limited supply. It had two pools and they were very good at taking pictures for the site. These pools are postage stamp size. Get more than 5 people in them and they are crowded. I expect certain amenities when traveling and thought I had them till I arrived and got a look around. Extreme disappointment with this hotel. It is also in an area that is on its way down with no close restaurant (unless you count the one IHOP).

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank RKaren
TheHotelMemphis, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Memphis East, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

We are always grateful when a guest takes the time to share their guest feedback, as it lets us know how we are doing and where we can improve. Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us in Memphis. Although it is disappointing to know that we were not able to meet your expectations, we appreciate your guest perspective. Please accept our heartfelt apologies if your stay was not as you had anticipated. We will be sharing your comments with our management team and hope you will someday allow us another opportunity to welcome you again.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Warning to Out-of-Town Travelers: This hotel is to be avoided! The desk staff couldn't have been nicer but this hotel is at least 40 years past worn out. The rooms (linens, carpets, furniture, bedcovers, etc.) have stains and wear marks. The beds are old and uncomfortable. The CRT TVs are much older than my college age children. The walls need paint and the carpets are trampled. The elevator buttons don't light up. But, WORST OF ALL, it needs a complete replacement of the HVAC system! (Legionnaires'?) The place is a mildew factory. We had to be moved because the AC wasn't working in our first room and it smelled like a medieval cheese cave.
I took my family to this place. If I hadn't been duped into prepaying for two rooms, we would have walked out.

Don't believe the false ratings for this place. I filed a complaint with Travelocity. They are investigating!

Stay at a respectable hotel line that you trust. Avoid this one.

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Thomas N

Although we are grateful for your review, we deeply regret to learn of the many challenges you experienced throughout your recent visit with us. Please accept our sincere apologies if our hotel was not at its best upon your arrival. We are truly grateful for your review and will share your comments with our management team. Please know that we are working hard to improve our property and we rely on guest feedback such as yours to direct us to the areas that require our immediate attention. Thank you.

Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I went to Memphis for the first time. We loved the hotel and the staff. The room was very clean. The bed was great. I highly recommend this hotel. We enjoyed the morning breakfast and the meals at the bar. I don't have anything negative to say.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank April G

It is wonderful to learn that you and your husband enjoyed such a pleasant experience at The Hotel Memphis. Thank you for taking the time to share your kind words regarding the cleanliness of our rooms and the comfort of our beds. It would be our pleasure to welcome you again.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

There was nothing spectacular about the room, but the hotel staff is the most friendly and professional I've ever met. We were allowed to check in early and had a wonderfull stay. I did not investigate the amenities but the breakfast was terrific. I will stay here every time I'm in Memphis.

Room Tip: I'm staying in 222. It was clean and comfortable.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

It is truly wonderful to know that our staff made your stay so memorable. Thank you for the kind words that you've shared. I'm looking forward to passing your remarks along to our staff! We are happy to learn that we have gained your loyalty and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Hotel Memphis sometime soon.

Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

My friend booked this hotel through Priceline. Upon arrival, I was a little curious about the property being gated, like apartment-style sliding gates. They were open when we arrived, so it wasn't a problem. Still, I've never known hotels to be gated. The location didn't seem to be an area that required a gated entrance, so... JThe first floor area was clean and smelled nice. I noticed a bar and restaurant. The check-in staff was pleasant, and quickly took care of everyone. The room was nice and well kept. There wasn't very much entertainment around the hotel, so we drove to Beale St, which is about a 20 min drive. When we returned around 10 pm, the gates were closed, and we had to wait almost 10 mins to get through the gate and park. Gates? Really? Other than the gates, the hotel is nice and I'd probably stay again. Just get rid of the gates, please.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions of our property. While we are glad that you enjoyed many aspects of our hotel, we do regret any inconveniences that you experienced with our gates. Please know that the safety and security of our guests is always a main priority. We appreciate that you chose The Hotel Memphis for your stay here in Memphis and we hope you will think of us again.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at the Hotel Memphis. Granted, the rooms were a little dated, and there was a small odor (more stale, than anything) but after a night or two it seemed to go away -- maybe no one had stayed in the room for a while. I booked through Priceline and received a great rate when compared to their regular rates. I don't think their regular rates are justified, but if you can get some sort of discounted rate this hotel would be worth it. The biggest plus to this hotel is the staff. Felicia S. was amazing! We'd see her every morning and she was friendly, always fulfilled any request and had a great welcoming smile. The night staff was great too... no matter what the request was, they'd always find a way to beat our expectations. If something was closed, they'd open it, if we requested anything, I felt like they'd would simply say "yes" and find a way to make it happen. They definitely go above and beyond for their customers. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KLP25

Caring for our guests is always our top priority so we are delighted to know that our staff went above and beyond to ensure that you enjoyed your stay at The Hotel Memphis. Thank you for taking the time to share your kind words regarding the customer service that you received throughout your visit. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and we hope you will choose to stay with us again the next time you are in Memphis.