“perfect location”

Ranked #29 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
salinas, United States
“perfect location”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

the staff is friendly... perfect location for access to beale street and all the tourist locations for downtown. kid friendly...stafff is very friendly and informative... the breakfast was really good, just wish there was grits on the menu along with oatmeal. lol.... the only complaint is that the parking.. this hotel only has valet parking and even for hotel guest the price is $25 per a night...which i think is pretty expensive. hotel guest should have free parking or deeply discounted.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Korean first
Calgary
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I recently stayed here on business as the Peabody across the street had no more rooms at conference rate. I am not much of a diva when it comes to accommodations for conferences, since you spend so little time in your room. But I really had a tough time swallowing some of the poor standards at this hotel.

When I arrived, my room was obviously in need of a serious vaccuuming and wipe down. There were crumbs and lint everywhere and cobwebs on the wall. Obvious dust in the drawers (so much that I couldn't use them), dust bunnies in the closet. What looked like old, dried and crusted chocolate sauce (my best guess) on the walls. There was even urine around the base of the toilet.

Oh well, I thought - at least the bed was obviously fresh-smelling and clean. That didn't keep me from checking for bedbugs, given the state of the rest of the room, and thankfully, I found none.

What I did find, the next morning, was a cockroach in my bathroom. It was dead, and I didn't freak out because it had been stormy and I know it's very easy for them to come up the drains. Again, I'm not much of a diva. I notifed the front desk and the manager, who was very nice, came up with the 'engineer' to ensure there were no signs of an infestation. She ordered a 'deep clean' of the room, for which I was grateful, as the room did seem incredibly dirty.

The 'deep' clean helped a little, but there were still crumbs and debris behind every curtain, the bedside table, and the desk. And this wasn't for me inspecting for it - it was just obviously there. The dust bunny at the top of the closet was gone, although the drawers were still too dusty to use. Walking on the carpet in my socks made them black on the bottom.

Unpacking for my 4-night stay was a challege because I didn't not feel comfortable using the chest of drawers, and despite calling the front desk THREE SEPERATE TIMES for extra hangers, I never did receive them.

The only thing that saved this stay was the lovely front desk staff who took the time to learn my name and chat every day. Otherwise, I'd give this the worst possible rating.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, do go for the 'upgrade' to a superior room, as they are quite large.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Ghee A, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us. We try to always go above and beyond for our guests and I am very sorry to hear that we were unable to do that for you. I want you to know that all of the inconveniences you experienced will be addressed with the proper departments and we hope that we can have the chance to have you as a guest in the future and will be able to exceed your expectations as we always try to do. Thank you again.

Travellers are raving about these Memphis hotels

Zürich
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Our room was just fine, functional and a nice size, though no safe which was a bit of a pain.

Front Desk and valets were very friendly and the whole hotel is well-kept.

The TGIF restaurant attached to the hotel has a good atmosphere and serves fantastic pork ribs and cocktails and we had a right laugh with the bartender when sat up at the bar, great! The Gibson guitar factory is just round the corner (please book for a tour in advance though) which we went round, they make the hollow-bodied range of electrics there. If you have any interest in music whatsoever, then the tour is a must...

Sun Studios is just up the road and a short car ride away is Graceland.

Very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Southwest Louisiana
Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

Check-in is at 3:00, we arrived at 2:30 and was greeted by the valet, who politely handled the parking of our car.
The front desk was very nice; however, there seems to be some problems ... We had to wait in the lobby for almost 2 hours waiting for our room to be ready. In fact, the lobby was full of patrons waiting on rooms. Very chaotic! Especially when I explained to them how my husband became ill on our trip and needed to rest.
The room had a strong food smell at first, a smell similar to that of bacon -- this further nauseated my husband. The curtains are stained and need to be cleaned. Otherwise the room was in good shape.
One of the front desk managers called our room to check on my husband - this was really sweet! Also the restaurant gave him crackers and Sprite at no charge - which is odd these days.
Everyone we met was very nice and courteous ... I'm thinking that hiring extra help may alleviate the problem with the rooms not being ready.
The room rate was pretty steep for what I feel is a 3 star property. However, the property is conveniently located to FedEx Forum and Beale St. There was a lot of vehicular noise, loud talking/hollering, etc on the streets after midnight which kept me awake.
Would I stay here again? Probably not.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank LATraveler825
Baldwyn, Mississippi
Reviewed 27 May 2013

The hotel's overall is over rated. There isn't a complimentary breakfast, no refrigerator in the room (couldn't keep medicine cool), if you want one it is available for a fee. The rooms are not worth the price you will pay, they should be in the range of $75 dollars at the most. The valet is a mandatory fee of 22.00 a night. A standard double room pricing is over rated. However, the entire staff was wonderful, great location to Beale Street, just too expensive for the stay, the rooms are not worth the price.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Washington D.C.
Reviewed 26 May 2013

A short walk to Beale street, the Autozone baseball stadium across the street, and being right next door to the Peabody Hotel, makes this DoubleTree is perfectly suitable. The valet was quick and the cookies were warm when we checked in. The servers at the TGIFridays, which is in the hotel, were friendly. The beds were supercomfy and the room was clean and a good size. There is no hotel bar, since the Friday's is right there, and they'll deliver up to your room. We were traveling with a small child and the crib they offer worked well. Really no complaints (other than maybe the elevators were a little noisy, but overall not bad) here and I review these things professionally.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevator and the Autozone park as it gets loud when there are events th...
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 19 May 2013

I love DoubleTree, this was a 3 thumbs down! Very noisy late into the night, i.e. 1am, generally clean but tired. The hotel is in the center of downtown and two blocks from Beal Street. At 7pm we noticed city police at he front door and 4 different police officers in the halls.... thats the 'area' its in. Toilet would not stop running...all night, and plugs at dest to charge computer and cell phone didn't work. Very tired facility. I definately would not stay there again!

1 Thank JohnS34134
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent experience at our hotel. We take a great deal of pride in exceeding our customer’s expectations and are disappointed anytime we fall short of that goal. Your input and concerns are appreciated. Being a downtown hotel, there is a lot of police presence to help control the crowds. During Redbird game days(stadium located right across the street from the hotel), the police are parked in the front of the hotel to help control the pedestrian and automobile traffic.

Again, thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to our attention. We value your business and will continue to work hard to exceed your expectations.