“Overpriced” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #27 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Conyers, United States
“Overpriced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

First, the positives: The hotel staff was exceptionally friendly. I'm sure they're working from a script of sorts, but they did it well. However, this hotel isn't quite up to the rates that they charge. Valet parking was the only obvious option. If I had wanted to skip the $22/day charge I would have had no idea of how to do that. The room I was in was next to the service elevator, so I had constant noise throughout the night. The room decor wasn't exactly outdated, but it could have used some serious TLC. The vanity in the bathroom was so badly scratched that it made me think it had just come from a thrift store. The floor of the tub/shower was extremely slippery, with no texturing of any sort. The kicker was that there were stains on one of the pillows. Three of the four pillows were fine, but this didn't exactly give me a warm fuzzy feeling. I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express in another town the night before, and the Doubletree's room wasn't any nicer. Thankfully this was a business trip, because I certainly wouldn't have spent my money on this particular hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Korean first
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

Hotel is located in a perfect spot to walk to Beale St which we did every night. Also, great restaurants are also within easy walking distance. Definitely go to Rendevous BBQ and get the brisket (ribs were just OK)

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

I made a prepaid reservation for November 17th. I realized on Nov15th that I had made the reservation for the wrong date. I am Bipolar and had gotten confused about what day we were supposed to stay. I called the Hotel to request a date change to Nov 18th. The hotel had no rooms available due to the Justin Timberlake concert (which we are attending.) I was referred to the customer service desk. I did not ask for a refund but to change the date to Dec 14th and pay the difference in rates. This is the absolute worst customer service I have ever experienced. I understand that I made a mistake but the absolute refusal to work with me is beyond ridiculous. I was told by reservations that if I had called the day before they could have worked with me. I advise anyone not to prepay for any reservations at this hotel. I will never stay at a Double tree property because of such poor customer service. I just cannot understand the refusal to change the date to one moth later and allow me to pay the difference in rates. I have certainly learned my lesson on prepaid reservations. Beware of prepaying!!! I actually would avoid this hotel like the plague. I did not actually stay but the customer service is terrible!!! I would give this hotel 0 stars if I could.

Stayed November 2013
Ghee A, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Tina,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent experience with our reservations department. We’re sorry our policy didn’t meet your needs and your comments will help us to improve our policies and better serve our guests moving forward. We hope you’ll consider staying with us again if you visit the area in the future so we may demonstrate our commitment to quality hospitality.

Ghee Alexander

Travellers are raving about these Memphis hotels

Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

Pros
1. Friendly staff from GM to valet
2. Managers reception with free drinks
3. Location
4. Cookie at check in

Cons
1. Terrible rooms- I felt like I was in a cheap motel not a Hilton branded hotel!
2. Open atrium means all the lobby noise goes straight to the guest room.
3. Freezing cold lobby made it uninviting to sit in.
4. Terrible bathrooms- mold etc.

Despite the good service the condition of the hotel would stop me from ever staying here by choice.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for sharing this quick feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your kind words on our team and reception and we will keep your comments on comfort and appointment in mind as we constantly look for new ways to improve our guests' experience. We hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in town and let us know how we are doing.

Jackson, Mississippi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

My wife and I have stayed here before with no problems. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case this time.

I understand the attraction of a hotel hosting a college formal, but the DoubleTree staff did nothing to keep the party in check. Still raucous at midnight? OK, I get it. No problem. But by 4 a.m., the party kept rocking up and down the hallway. Because the hallways through the first few floors are open all the way to the first floor, there's no way the staff couldn't hear the noise.

When I inquired the next morning why the group wasn't corralled into their rooms well before 4 a.m., the lady at the desk suggested that I go back to my room to slam the door to wake them up.

I'm all for everyone having a good time, but geez, DoubleTree, a little effort on your part might have been nice.

Room Tip: Make sure there's not a large party, because the staff won't be bothered by the noise, but y...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

Two night stay (Wed &Thur) started off with standing room only for check-in. Upon entering the room noticed dirty floors - especially not even wiped clean around the commode - disgusting!
The rooms are not up to date - had to charge my electronics on the floor . Beds are average comfort and the only complimentary coffee is the mini in your room! For breakfast your only choice here is the dark and dreary TGIFridays downstairs.
The only positive thing about this hotel is its location to the Peabody Hotel - where I will stay next visit!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Vickie,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your honest input on our guestroom amenities and appointment and we will use your comments as we continue to evolve our guests' experience. We hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in the area so we may better demonstrate our commitment to your satisfaction.

Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

Very nice, classy hotel in a great location: in a fun, busy, safe part of downtown Memphis. Regular king room was VERY spacious. Quietest hotel I've been in. Highly recommend to anyone for business or personal.