“Not what a Hilton should be like”

DoubleTree by Hilton Memphis Downtown
Ranked #29 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Not what a Hilton should be like”
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

The only good thing about this hotel is the people that work there, all of them smiling and helpfull. Besides that, the hotel is dirty and old. The hotel rooms are OK, but the lobby and the other hotel sections are far away of what Hilton should be like

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Ghee A, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I have shared your comments with the Team and we will utilize it to get better. I hope you will give us another opportunity the next time you are in Memphis.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Korean first
Montgomery County, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 February 2014

The Hotel presented me with a Doubletree goodie bag and certificate when I arrived- saying I was their guest of the week. Nice touch. One item it included was VIP valet parking, which since we were in and out several times a day much appreciated. One call and the car was waiting for what ever time we requested. They also had wedding guest goodie bags assembled by my son and his fiance. They were to distribute these to our guests and they missed no one. The front desk staff were terriffic as were the valet staff. My one complaint was the rooms did not have enough bright lighting. The staff provided more lamps however the bulb wattages were too low. If I ever find myself back in Memphis I would certainly consider staying at this DoubleTree.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Congratulations on your Son's wedding and thank you for choosing to stay with us for this momentous occasion! I am glad you enjoyed the perks of the "guest of the week". Thank you for your kind words regarding the Team. I have shared your comment with the entire team and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel the next time you are in Memphis!
clarksville, United States
Reviewed 26 February 2014

The tub would not drain in the shower, there wasn't any continental breakfast, or refrigerator in the room. I think for the price I paid a warm cookie at check in is not enough. The food at TGIF was sub par and I think I would have gotten more bang for my buck at another hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Owensboro, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Hotel is nice, but rooms are a bit tiny and also run down. Went to open our blinds and they fell apart! Our room was not completely ready when we arrived after 3 pm (we had ordered champagne and chocolate and had to call and wait about 45 minutes before receiving it). Then, I was in the middle of bathing and the fire alarm went off and I had to hurry and get dressed and leave our room (which was on the sixth floor and we could not use the elevator), come to find out some kid pulled the alarm. When we went to check out, they had "misplaced" our car keys at the valet. Took us a total of 45 minutes of standing and waiting around to finally get our car. Come to find out they charged us 2.18 for something I do not know (I paid cash for the room when checking in and paid for everything up front) and so they had hijacked our car keys! Needless to say I was very angry. They did take off the $2.18 charge and give us our car keys, but it was after a lot of frustration and dealing with very poor service and unorganized staff members.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Belinda,

Please accept our sincere apologies for the disappointing service and conditions of your recent stay. We know our guests deserve the best and we will use your comments as we continually evolve to best meet and exceed our guests' expectations. We have shared your comments with our front desk and housekeeping teams and assure you appropriate steps have been made to correct the issues you encountered with guestroom comfort and cleanliness. We are sorry for any inconvenience caused by our fire alarm and should you return to our area in the future, we would love to have you back so we may better demonstrate the complete quality stay you expect and deserve.

Travellers are raving about these Memphis hotels

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Rooms are nice overall. They refurbished the older smoking floors. You can still smell the slight presence of cigarettes, but it's not too bad. Lower floor rooms are a bit noisy from street and lobby noise. Valet and check in are excellent. Beds are comfortable, clean and the bathrooms are updated.

Matthews, North Carolina
Reviewed 23 February 2014

From the time we parked the car until we left they the hotel staff made you feel very welcome and always had a smile on their face. They went out of their way to provide you everything you needed. They offered a free happy hour and that was very relaxing before several of us went out to dinner that evening. On my next business trip to Memphis I will definitely stay here again.

Dallas, United States
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I have stayed at several hotels in Memphis, including the Marriott, Peabody, and the Hilton Garden Inn, and this is by far my favorite. The hotel staff is exceptionally friendly, very accomodating, and professional. Great location, love the reception and breakfast.