“In need of an update” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #29 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Portland, Oregon
“In need of an update”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

I was in town for a wedding at the Peabody and decided to stay next door at the Doubletree due to status with Hilton. While there was nothing particularly wrong with the stay, the room was quite dated. Wallpaper was peeling, it smelled dusty and was very dimly lit, furniture was worn... rooms were also very noisy. However, the bed was comfortable, service was decent, and my stay, overall, was fine. Nothing special, nothing awful.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Ghee A, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you so much for providing us with feedback regarding your recent stay. I am sorry that the room conditions were not up to our normal standards. I will be sure to address this. I hope you will give us another opportunity to show you our commitment to guest service!

Ghee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Korean first
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

Pretty disappointing Hilton property! Carpet is worn and soiled, tiny bathroom, jammed entry for cars, lamps with no outlets for plugs and on and on. We did get a free cookie and 2 bottles of water to make the trip seem worthwhile. For the price it is a complete rip-off. Stay anywhere else. Recommendation from the front desk for breakfast down the street at BonTon Cafe was a total bust just like the hotel. Should have paid a little more and stayed at the Peabody across the street.

Room Tip: Try another hotel.............
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to comment on Trip Advisor. Comments from our guests help us to ensure the quality and comfort of our guests. I would like to apologize for your recent stay with us. I have forwarded these comments to our staff and we will utilize it to improve. Thank you again and hope to see you in the future.

Travellers are raving about these Memphis hotels

Portage, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

The hotel is bright and sunny with one wall in each room a window with a view, pool was fantastic, hotel food was excellent. All of this but the best part was the employees of the hotel. Everyone was professional, kind, helpful, pleasant and loving their jobs. I inquired from one of the employees if the plaques stating it was one of the best places to work was just for show, I was informed that Hilton treated everyone with respect and fairness and that it WAS a great place to work. Don't know what the formula is but they out to bottle it. Never stated in a hotel that was so pleasant to be in.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are excellent!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

The DoubleTree Memphis Downtown was not generally impressive. The lobby stretches up several floors, which made the noise travel up to the guest rooms. When there were groups in the hotel, I would have to deal with noise as early as 7am, and the piano player they had in the evenings, while charming, just created more noise that I had to block out. There was a huge gap under the guest room door, which seemed to let in even more noise. The room I had was small and dusty. The lighting was terrible - they used energy efficient lightbulbs, but seemed to have picked the cheapest, starkest light they could find. The bad lighting and the small, dusty, outdated room made the whole stay kind of depressing - I found myself staying out of the room as much as possible. I had a small problem when I arrived at my room, and the front desk responded quickly and it was taken care of, so the service seemed okay. The front desk was helpful and answered my questions, and all the other staff I encountered were helpful and friendly. I don't know if the TGIFriday's in the hotel is run by the hotel, but it was a joke. It seemed like every time I was in there, I was ignored for as long as possible before the bartender finally decided to acknowledge me. I never ordered more than drinks, but I know people were waiting up to 45 minutes for food, sometimes just appetizers. Fortunately, there are other restaurants in Memphis.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor and in a corner - they don't seem to get as much noise from the a...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for providing us feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We expect to have new lamps with less opaque shades that should help with the lighting in the rooms. Your concerns with your experience in Friday's has been addressed with the Team. Being ignored by bartenders certainly does not help you unwind after a long day, nor does it fit with our norm. I hope that you will give us another opportunity the next time you are in Memphis so that we can prove to you our commitment to guest satisfaction.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

We had a great stay here. Coming from New Orleans this place had a lot to live up to and it delivered.
Good rooms but could do with more lighting and street noise is a problem if the baseball is on, so the answer is to go to the baseball. We enjoyed the game, even though we don't know much about it and the Memphis Redbirds lost.
Easy walk to Beale St., Gibson factory, Rock and Soul Museum and the Civil Rights Museum, ( a must see).
Overall a very good place to stay in a great location with service to match.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Autozone Park have great views but can be a little noisy if the baseball is on, we'...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Ten Mile, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

We loved the location and liked the history of the hotel but we did not have a chair at our desk, the blinds were dusty and the desk was dusty. We missed the chocolate chip cookies the hotel is famous for (the did not have any we were told), and not all of the staff were as helpful as we have had at other facilities. Although the experience with this Double Tree was not the best, I have stayed at others and would stay in a Double Tree again. The folks who parked and retrieved our cars were fantastic.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

I am terribly sorry to hear of your experience. Please know that we take great pride in the excellent service we provide and I am sorry to hear that not all of our team members were helpful. The chocolate chip cookie is the start to a great stay and I am truly sorry we let you down. We will use your comments to make us better. I really hope you will give us another opportunity the next time you are in Memphis, so that we may prove to you our commitment to guest satisfaction!

Columbia, MO, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Bad experience. AC not working when we arrived around 7:00. An employee came and worked on it and got it working. When we came back from dinner at 9:00 it was 82 degrees in the room (thermostat set at 50). The employee came back and worked on it until midnight. He gave us 2 tickets for free breakfast, but that wasn't enough to make it OK. Also didn't like that valet parking was the only option other than street parking and we had no access to our car. Cost $22 plus a tip every time we needed it. We were told there was free parking availble.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

We appreciate your honest feedback and apologize for the unpleasant experience upon your arrival and the trouble your encountered with the AC unit in the room. We're working with our facilities team to review our quality assurance processes and ensure rooms meet our high standards prior to guest check-in. We will also keep your comments about our parking policies in mind as we re-evaluate our offerings. We hope you'll consider giving us another chance to serve you for a more comfortable stay.