“Good but needs a lot of improvement”

Red Roof Inn Memphis East
Ranked #62 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Sunnyvale, CA
“Good but needs a lot of improvement”
Reviewed 4 January 2008

I stayed at the Red roof Inn Memphis east for 3 days. Although I checked in a little late due to my arrival at the airport, checking in was no problem. Well, the usual things like lights, bath accessories, heaters/cooler was fine. It was located conveniently from the Memphis airport on the I40. But apart from this, the bathroom was kind of dinghy, the towels were not that good, the TV remote didn't work and definitely for the price paid, the room (2 king Bed) was kind of small. And, I did not even book it at the last minute. I booked it at least 3 weeks before. So, it definitely needs a lot of improvement.

• Liked — Location, simple for a night stay but not for 3-day stay
  • Disliked — No accessories, dinghy bathrooms
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Southerner
Reviewed 19 September 2007

We recently stayed here for two nights during a weekend getaway to Memphis. We were only about a 15-20 min. drive down I-40 to downtown Memphis and were within easy walking distance to several restaurants, other hotels, stores, etc. (We walked to the Cracker Barrel next door for both breakfast and dinner). Felt very safe here and the place seemed very quiet despite the fact that they were completely booked. Only complaints were the rude housekeeping staff we had to encounter. Will stay here again if not at this hotel then at least at this exit (12).

• Liked — Easy access to I-40 and close to necessities.
  • Disliked — Housekeeping staff very rude.
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with friends
2 Thank SOKYWOMAN
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2007

We stayed at the Red Roof Inn for 2 nights during a 7 month round the world trip.

It was mainly down to the reviews on this site we decided to book and in the end we were pleased with the hotel. It is very basic but we found it reasonably clean and at a price of $40 a night could find no complaints. Staff were friendly and helped out with directions etc.

Location was about 20mins drive from downtown Memphis, similar to Graceland.

There is a long strip of restaurants and fast food outlets about 2 mins drive away, we found the Ruby Tuesday's to be very good, also a bit further up the road is an Applebees. For breakfast we opted for Cracker Barrel next door which was nice and inexpensive.

Free coffee in the reception area is a nice touch.

All in all, a good clean budget hotel. Enough said really....:)

• Liked — The price
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ju123
Ohio
Reviewed 30 December 2006

We have stayed at other Red Roof Inns in the past and always been pleased, however this one left us wanting to check out as soon as we checked in!

The room itself was dirty, the walls were falling apart as was the ceiling. The sheets were paper thin, and had many holes and stains. There was trash under and behind the bed, and you just felt gross being in the room the whole time.

If you want a cheap place to go, then it's ok. But if you value your health, I would look elsewhere.

• Liked — Pet Friendly
  • Disliked — Dirty Room
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay here!
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelingcouple05
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 30 November 2006

I stayed in this hotel for a night because I had my appointment nearby.This is almost the same type of hotel I stayed in Arkansas years ago. I am satisfied ,though my room was situated at the end of the building where you can hear passing of vehicles in the highway. Anyway, I will certainly come back here whenever I will go in Memphis again.

• Liked — Cheap rate
  • Disliked — The sheets not smell fresh.
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Lady_leeanne143
Missouri
Reviewed 9 November 2006

Clean, quiet and friendly desk staff. What else could you ask for $41 a night?

• Stayed October 2006, travelled with family
1 Thank umslgrad
Kettering, OH
Reviewed 26 October 2006

I stayed an evening here on my way home from a vacation on the other side of the country.

This hotel is the hotel that time forgot! I felt like I had stepped back into the 1980's upon entering my room. It's not in the nicest part of town, but I am happy to report that nothing happened. (But I did take all of the valuables out of my car and bring them into the room before retiring for the night!)

My room wasn't completely clean - the previous occupant's trash was sitting in a trashcan on the counter in the room. There were a few stains on the blanket on the bed, but it looked like bleach... which is way better than it could be!

However, I did get a good night sleep. The bed was very comfortable and I had no issues whatsoever getting to bed. The shower, while dated, worked great and felt really good after a long day of driving.

All in all, given the price of the hotel, I'm pleased with my stay. The lack of services would make me hesitate staying more than one night, but for a cheap place to crash while driving, this place will do the job.

• Liked — Easy access off of I-40
  • Disliked — Location - I felt like I needed to get everything of value out of my car
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled solo