“we had a great time and we'll be back”
Review of Memphis

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
7 helpful votes
“we had a great time and we'll be back”
Reviewed 18 August 2011

We only had 2 days, so it was a "get acquainted" with Memphis tri[p. We walked on Beall St, visited Graceland and attended a Viking Cooking School class. We also a great meal. It seems like there is a lot to come back to explore. and we will!

Loveland, Colorado
69 helpful votes
“Thank goodness they have Elvis”
Reviewed 28 June 2011

I've dreamt of going to Memphis since I was a small kid in England. My Dad was a massive Elvis fan and he travelled to the city to visit Graceland and Sun Studios in the early 80's. Now I live in the US I want to visit all 50 states. I was on 46 so decided to take in Arkansas for a summer vacation. What enthused me was being able to take in Memphis at the same time. So I took my young son (a big Elvis fan) this June. We did stay in a great hotel (the Rodeway Inn). However, I was very disappointed with the city. I needed to buy my son some new sneakers. The mall was locked as it had apparently just closed down. I couldn't find a Foot Locker or any type of sports store. I stopped two local ladies who told me there was no such store in downtown Memphis?!! We got on the trolley to get out of the 99 degree heat. However the $1 fee soon became not so attractive. The driver seemed to have 6 members of his family and friends sitting on the trolley with him. One of these guys was huge. He sat next to me and started telling me that he could direct us to the best restaurants, attractions etc. I knew what was coming and sure enough, he wanted money. This guy had evidently never missed a meal and had some pretty expensive looking gold teeth. So after only a few minutes, we got off the trolley. I can look after myself but my young son was very uncomfortable. The attractions in Memphis are the obvious ones - Graceland, Sun Studios, Beale Street (very small), Civil Rights Museum at the Lorraine Motel where Dr. MLK was assassinated and The Peabody if you want to see a few mallards jump into a fountain and Mud Island (we didn't get there, as we had to leave the trolley). The food was pretty good, especially the wonderful Rendezvous for amazing ribs. So if you are an Elvis or Blues fan who likes to party, you may want to visit for a weekend. If you have young kids or like to go shopping, I would not recommend Memphis. Thank goodness they have Graceland, this place would be barren without those tourists.

Chapala, Mexico
244 helpful votes
“So much to do... so little time!”
Reviewed 15 June 2011

We spent just two days in Memphis and had a wonderful time. Starting with staying at the Peabody Hotel (where a line of ducks march in and out on a red carpet twice daily to the sound of band music), which is just two blocks from Beale St. (jazz every other storefront) and three blocks from a walk along the Mississippi. Don't miss Sun Studio - great value for your money and just an hour long. Skip Graceland unless you are a diehard Elvis fan - at $35 it is way overpriced. The Memphis Zoo was outstanding - with two active giant pandas and the largest variety of jungle cats that I have seen in any zoo. Your visit would not be complete without visiting the National Civil Rights Museum which is in the Lorraine Motel where MLK was assassinated. A very powerful moment when you go to his room/balcony. Outstanding places to eat including Gus' Fried Chicken (near the Lorraine- very informal and inexpensive) and the Arcade Cafe (also near the Lorraine) where Elvis used to eat. Lots of places to choose for bar-b-que but others have reviewed these on Trip Advisor. Took the City of New Orleans train from Memphis to New Orleans ( a day trip) and got to see the less populated areas along the Mississippi, plus we arrived in downtown New Orleans in about 8 hours. Lots of fun.

Galveston, TX
1 helpful vote
“MEMPHIS...what a GREAT experience!! Can't wait to go back!”
Reviewed 26 May 2011

My first trip to Memphis & I can't wait to take my hubby back to experience the fabulous food, music and people. Can't recall a friendlier city, but of course it is the South where ALL the friendliest people live!! Everyone we encountered, from airport personell to waiters and waitresses were personal, accommodating and over the top friendly.
Music-we were so thrilled to find the Will Tucker band at BB King's. He's 17 and been playing there since he was 14!!! You can't miss this kid...he is INCREDIBLE!! There's music in every inch of Beale Street. Where else can you go where there's a stage set up in the porta-potty alley???? And it was great too! Music in the park, in every restaurant and club, everywhere!! And it was all GREAT! Also took the Sun Studio Tour and it was SO good! Well worth the $12 tour fee.
Food-although we were in Mexican food withdrawal...didn't see a single Mexican restaurant!..but plenty of great food. Our favorite was The King's Palace on Beale....OMG, I can't say enough about the so very friendly staff and the awesome food. It was the highlight of our eating experiences in Memphis! Also ate at BB King's..great ribs!
Lodging-we ended up staying at the Quality Inn, Southaven, MS which was minutes from the airport, Graceland and 15 minutes to Beale streeet. Very clean, nice folks and convenient.
Went to Tunica to go to Paula Deen's at Harrah's but Harrah's was still closed for another 3 weeks, but ended up at GoldStrike and it was great. The buffett was too expensive, but the food in the Atrium was VERY good.
All in all, a VERY enjoyable trip with 3 G-friends. Missed the ducks at the Peabody, so HAVE to go back. Highly recommend a long weekend in Memphis.

So Cal
1 helpful vote
“Beale Street”
Reviewed 10 November 2010

This past August, my husband and I took a trip to Memphis, TN. "Why are you going there?" people would ask. "Because we've never been there before," we'd answer.
I was uncertain what to expect, as a California girl whose only trips to the South were to Orlando with the kids, Birmingham to visit in-laws, and New Orleans. My husband was very excited to visit Beale Street--claiming it was a lot like Boubon Street in New Orleans.
We were there on a rainy Thursday night, so I'm not sure how that affected the crowd. There is a section of the street that is blocked off to cars that is much smaller area than Bourban Street. butwe just loved all the little bars and jazz clubs up and down the street and the relaxed feeling of strolling down the street easily.
We found one karaoke bar to start our night and ended up staying there all night, listening to people from all over the U.S. try their best to sing, while watching teenaged boys do gynmastics up and down the street, hoping for some tips.
As we stumbled back to our hotel at 2:00 a.m., we agreed we would love to go back again!

1 Thank avonbeth

Been to Memphis? Share your experiences!