“A lovely night stay”
Review of The Royal Oak Inn

The Royal Oak Inn
Ranked #5 of 13 Llandovery B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 April 2014

A lovely place to stay with a very warm welcome. Travelled through lovely little welsh villages to get to the Royal Oak, and on arrival our first impressions was a lovely warm and happy feeling. The rooms were nice and cosy and the decor of the room was so authentic and very well done. I was very impressed that the wall was painted and part of the wall was stripped back to the original stone of the building. Also had a meal in the evening here, and it was brilliant. There is nothing I could fault with our stay and I Would recommend The Royal Oak and both myself and my partner will be returning in the Summer. Thank You :)

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
rachelbyrne, Owner at The Royal Oak Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for us. We stayed here ourselves 6 years ago and came back to buy the place we loved it so much, so we know exactly how you feel!

Reviewed 21 March 2014

Just had one night here,myself and the wife.Wonderfully quiet location,excellent food,and great beers.Breakfast was absolutely superb and we had a lovely welcome from locals and staff.Room was lovely and nice and cosy.Would definetely return.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Raythehappytraveller

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay here. We are always touched to know that our guests appreciate our efforts. And as we have said many times, we cannot agree with you more about how lovely our locals are! Look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

We stayed here for one night. The pub is a typical country inn with a warm welcome and great food.
Our room was very clean and spacious. Typically of an old inn, the floorboards creaked with every step across the room, which was quaint. Ensuite was fine. Only criticism was the plumbing wasn't the best in that the hot water flow was rubbish. Also although the bed was extremely comfortable, the pillows had no life in them. Tea and coffee in room and free wifi
Tried all the real ales on tap, all good. Food was very nice although not a huge selection.
Drove up to the Llyn Brianne dam to have a good walk, great views, very impressive.
Would definitely stay again

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review and for the lovely comments you made. We are sorry to hear the water flow was a problem. We did have to call a plumber out to fix something recently because a guest notified us of an identical problem to which you described, so I suspect that you were in the same room. We hope that this does not put you off visiting us again.

Reviewed 19 March 2014

Stayed here for two nights with our dog, lovely area stunning setting, owners very welcoming and such a lovely comfortable pub. Tried all the different beers all kept very well, the food was excellent especially the breakfast which was cooked to order and was so tasty.
Thankyou both for a lovely stay and hope to come back again soon.
Jo and Eddie Ayres

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
rachelbyrne, Owner at The Royal Oak Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We really appreciate the feedback and are always heartened to know that our guests rate our efforts. Chris and I go to great lengths in sourcing food and make every effort to make sure guests get the start to the day only a hearty breakfast can deliver- so we are glad you felt it worth an extra special mention. see you again soon hopefully.

Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

Yet another lovely stay at The Royal Oak. It never fails to offer us the tranquility and relaxation any weekend break demands. Great food and wonderful local company makes for a return being inevitable. Also Doug our dog is insisting on it as he seems to enjoy his room as much as us.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
rachelbyrne, Owner at The Royal Oak Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Thank you so much for your lovely review- our locals are always really lovely to visitors and make them feel so welcome. I have seen some great friendships made, and like you, people return here regularly. A pleasure to see you again.

Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here mid week 1st week of
March with my partner for 2 nights. Lovely little inn, we stayed in a double room which was lovely and cosy. En suite shower room which was quite small but perfect for us! Tea and coffee in the room, plenty of storage space as well as biscuits, water and shower gel etc. Very comfy bed and bedding which is what u need after a long day walking, the rooms are warm but there is also a heater provided but we had it on very low during our whole stay. The whole inn is lovely, cosy and just how you'd expect it to be in this area, lovely wood burning fires downstairs in the bar area. we only met Chris during our stay but he was really welcoming and friendly nothing was to much bother. We ate both nights here and the food was 5*. Really tasty well cooked fresh food at very reasonable prices. The steak soo nice! Good choice of different ciders and ales, Chris was helpful in suggesting what ones to try! The breakfast in the morning was great, plenty to keep you going well into the afternoon and really good quality food! Llandovery town isn't to far away either, lovely views around the area we walked up to the res one day about 4miles from the inn, a lovely walk with beautiful scenery along the way. We really enjoyed our stay and would definitely return here in the future and recommend it to others!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
rachelbyrne, Owner at The Royal Oak Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Thank you for your fantastic review and all the wonderful things you said about us. We have very strict criteria when buying our food ingredients and we are delighted it shows in our customer appreciation. We love the location too. I was also glad to hear Chris looked after you and I am sorry we did not meet- maybe next time?

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Had a great stay here over New Year. Chris and Rachel are fabulous hosts and made me very welcome. My room was one of the single rooms with shared bathroom but as there was only me staying there at the time I had it all to myself. Lashings of hot water for a nice soak after a days walking. An excellent selection of ales and whiskies and a superb choice of food in the evening. The full cooked breakfast each morning set me up for a days exploring around the area. Had a really nice New Years Eve party where all the staff and locals alike made it clear I was welcome to join in their celebrations. All in all a great stay and I would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Roy T
rachelbyrne, Owner at The Royal Oak Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Thank you very much for your lovely comments- it is appreciated. Your photos are great and I am sure others will enjoy them too. I am sorry I didn't get to join in the New Years festivities with you, but I am delighted to hear our lovely locals made you feel welcome. They are the best thing about this pub and something we can't take credit for!
The little single rooms are great value, but if you ever want to have an en suite rooms, these are also available for single occupancy.
Hopefully we'll see you again soon,
Rachel