“Friendly staff and good food”
Review of Castle Hotel

Ranked #2 of 13 Llandovery B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I chose this hotel because of it good location. Its a warn and friendly hotel with good food and beer. It is small and gets full quickly and there is competition for a space around the open fire. The building is old but recently refurbished and they have done a good job. would certainly go back if in the area.

Room Tip: get in front of the open fire early and stay there!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reviewed 25 January 2014

Deceptive initially, but once inside this lovely old Inn, it oozes warmth and comfort. It dates back to 1740 and we were thrilled to find that it has two rooms dedicated to local history. This mini museum holds records and artefacts dating back many years, even a book from the Boer War!
It is run by local volunteers and is well worth a visit, even if you are not staying at the hotel, but an added bonus if you are. Lord Nelson stayed here whilst visiting Wales on a mission to gather timber and steel for boat building.

The Castle, one of the Taste Inn Wales group, has recently been refurbished to the most tasteful standard. Our room was light and spacious and the home made chocolate chip welcoming cookies were so good, they should be banned!
We took advantage of their Escape Package which was incredible value at £85 for two, including dinner bed & breakfast. The evening menu catered for all tastes and included dishes like pidgeon, stuffed pheasant, dover sole and a host of other well selected dishes..
I can thoroughly recommend this as an ideal venue to explore the natural beauty of this area.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
tasteinnwales, Manager at Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

We are thrilled to receive your positive feedback.

The Local History Exhibition has been a great addition to the hotel, and as you say is well worth a visit when visiting Llandovery or staying at The Castle Hotel as Lord Nelson did indeed on on 28th July 1802!

Many Thanks for Taking the Time to Review.

Gareth Davies

Reviewed 7 January 2014

As soon as We walked in it felt very festive and what a lovely fireplace..Our room was ok, We actually noticed when We got home that We had paid for a superior room,after seeing some of the pics on here,don't know if room 11 was? as We were there for 1 night it didn't really matter...Food in Hotel was lovely,We had the festive cream tea in the afternoon,shame they didn;t have the Mulled wine!! In the evening I had the festive burger,it was lovely..

Bed was really comfortable as were the pillows and nice little touch with cookies and sweets,I would however have shorter curtains as they hid the radiator and could only close one side.. Staff in Hotel very nice,Jenny,Scottish guy and girl with glasses,nothing too much trouble..Would stay again..

Room Tip: We had room 11,paid for superior,can't work out if it was or not!!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I have never been as impressed with the service, food, and value for money as I have been with this hotel. This hotel has a very atmospheric component and I loved the open fires.The food at this establishment is of a very high standard and the staff here are truly wonderful. I stayed in room 12- a double room for £65. This was well worth the price. The only small gripe I have is that the shower is quite small but the bed was very comfortable and I will certainly be back here. There is parking at the back of this hotel and the town is beautiful and surrounded by the most dramatic landscape.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Just spent two great nights at the Castle. Real oldy worldy hotel with log fires and cosy nooks and crannies. A warm welcome by the staff, including Gareth the manager and Emma our waitress on the Friday evening. Rooms comfortable and very clean. Excellent food on both nights with tasty breakfasts. Location is great for walkers and outdoor activities. there were a few creaks and groans from the building but totally acceptable in view of the age and history of the property. We will be back to visit again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I stayed here for one night at the beginning of November whilst visiting Llandovery for a friend's wedding. The location of the hotel is good as it is located next to all other amenities in the town whilst also being a 5-10 minute walk to the train station.

I stayed in room 15 (one of the "good" rooms) which was a decent size, the bathroom was bigger than expected with a nice decor although other parts of the hotel could probably do with a revamp. My main problem was that the room was absolutely freezing during my stay, which I think was due to the fact it is at the back of the hotel next to the fire exit. My only other 'niggle' was that the wifi password provided was incorrect and so neither myself or any of my other friends could access the hotel wifi during our stay. On the other hand, the full welsh breakfast included with the room was delicious!

All in all, I'd recommend staying here but I'd probably give it 3.5 stars rather than 4 but that isn't an option.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 October 2013

The money spent on the Castle has really paid off. The room I was given was very large and really excellent value for money. The food is excellent as was the service. A great experience and highly recommended. Lots to explore in the local area (I was down for the mountain biking in Brecfa and Cym Rhayder).

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llandovery
#2 of 3 in Neath
The Royal Oak Inn
The Royal Oak Inn
#5 of 13 in Llandovery
Penygawse Guest House & Tea Rooms

Been to Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!