“Be careful which room you have in hot weather”
Review of Castle Hotel

Castle Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Aberaeron
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Be careful which room you have in hot weather”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Only an average for this return visit to the Castle. I still enjoyed my evening meal and breakfasts but the room I was in was very hot and opening the window just meant that I was constantly woken up by the intermittent heavy vehicles that passed by on the A487. I hope that there are quieter rooms facing Market Street.
Noise from adjoining rooms was less of an issue this time although the bedroom door rattled all night with the minimal breeze coming through the window and I resorted to piling up pillows and bedding on the chair against the door handle to reduce the rattling.
Hot weather is exceptional and I'd be happy to go back to the Castle in milder temperatures but after two nights of interrupted poor sleep I'll avoid it until they arrive.

Room Tip: During hot weather, I recommend avoiding Branwen and any other bedrooms right on the corner of Marke...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Corb2000

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We stayed here for two nights. The hotel is very central and the rooms although very small we're well furnished clean comfortable and modern. Our only problem was the heat, the rooms had no fans or air con but I am sure in normal temperatures the lovely open French windows would be ok. We took my parents and shared an adjacent doorway, if u are coming with friends or family this worked well. A little let down was that they didn't change the towels or replenish the tea and coffee. In the book however it did say you could ask for more but when paying for four star it would be nice that it's done. The bar downstairs is pleasant and the waitresses we encountered were all friendly! The polish lady in particular the most customer focused and friendly member we came across! There was one bar man who wasn't so friendly when closing up one evening! We were sat outside instead of making conversation he made us feel as if he was asking us to leave! It hadn't reached ten! He had also given me a terrible look earlier that evening for popping in to use the ladies possibly not realising I was a resident! It's a great spot to people watch as there are a few tables and chairs on the street which we used a lot! Breakfast was ok , choice of cooked and able to make to order! The cooked was delicious and just the right amount! The fruit and cereal choice wasn't great and we were left both days wanting more hot drinks with no body around to ask! However the restaurant was relaxing clean and the fresh produce used good. All round this was a good hotel, a little over priced for the odd lack of detail, but if your staying in aberaeron and want something central a great choice.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2014

When we were being shown to our room we were told the hotel would be holding a party with loud music. Concerned that I had to get up early, I was assured ours was a quiet room. It was a hot night and later on when the music, spilling out onto the street through open windows, ramped up yet again we found we couldn't fully close the sash window in our room. I went down to complain that I couldn't sleep and ask if we could have a refund/move to another room with a window that closed; but before I could finish the manageress grabbed and twisted my wrist and told me "she didn't care if I could sleep as they were having a party and her mother was dying". I assume that these are both rare events, but I do not think that this allows for physical assault of a customer.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Hellen S
London
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed for a weekend. Ate both nights at the Castle. Beautiful Welsh stake and plenty of chips and veg. Great value. The room was clean and very comfertable.
I often go to Aberaeron and would consider staying anywhere else.

• Stayed June 2014
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

This the 3rd time I have stayed here and I can only say that the standard is first class the staff were very helpful and efficient the food in the restaurant in the evening was truly amazing the breakfast in the morning was very tasty with local bacon and sausage and the rooms were very clean what more can I say can't wait to return later in the year

• Stayed June 2014
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

At about 1545 hrs on Tuesday, 10th June, 2014, me wife and I visited the Castle Hotel - our intention being to have a drink or two as we were too early to catch our return coach. We entered the ground floor bar - my wife say down and I approached the bar. There were three customers in the bar at the time (hatdly busy). The barmaid was washing cups - she had obviously seen me approach the bar but she made no attempt to serve me. I waited a few minutes and in this time another customer entered the room and appoached the bar. He appeared to be a regular as the barmaid immediately stopped washing cubs and without a word being spoken she selected a glass and started to serve him. My wife and I left the premises in disgust. I am not used to being ignored by bar staff when waiting to be served nor will I tololerate such poor service. I have relatives living in a nearby village and we are oftem in the area. WE WILL NOT, HOWEVER BE VISTING THE Castle Hotel again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank Malcolm H
castle05, Owner at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Dear Mr H we are sorry to hear that you did not have an enjoyable experience in our bar.

Looking into your complaint we spoke to the team member working at the time and she stated that she was washing cups as you came to the bar, she said she turned to you telling you that she would be with you in a minute. She finished washing the last couple of cups, dried her hands and as she walked over to you she asked you what you wanted but got no response so proceeded to replenish the drink of someone who was already drinking in the bar. At this point you started shouting about the excessive length of time you had been waiting; she attempted to explain that she had asked you what you wanted to no avail as you were in the process of leaving the building with confused wife in tow.

On reviewing the CCTV we can confirm that you arrived at the bar at 15.49 and 58 seconds the bartender was washing cups, as you came to the bar she turned to acknowledge you and finished what she had in her hands before drying them. She looks and walks in your direction and picks up an empty glass from the bar. At this point the CCTV shows you walk away at 15.50 and 43 seconds making your total stay in our establishment a whole ……. 45 seconds.

We do hope that you spend a little more time with us in the future to give us the opportunity to show you our service.
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed for only one night with family, and we recieved a good welcome .We had evening meal which we all enjoyed the steaks were lovely. Next morning full Welsh breakfast , whats not to like .Had a great time in Aberaeron very picturesque, , definitely be returning .

• Stayed May 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberaeron
Feathers Royal Hotel
Arosfa Harbourside Guesthouse
Monachty
Monachty
#10 of 11 in Aberaeron

Been to Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!