“Room 2 Rhymes with !!!”
Review of Monachty

Monachty
Ranked #9 of 12 Aberaeron B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Booked over the phone and was told of a discount on the room. Normally £60 for a single but with the discount and not wanting a breakfast I could have the room for £40. Bargain I thought,I'II take it.
Good job I did'nt want the breakfast. I was told it was served from 0900hrs. No good for the working man with places to go.
Now down to the room. No 2
Large room with double bed. Woopee !!!
Naaa!!! The matress had seen better days.
Could feel every spring and lop sided where people had sat on the one side. Kitchen extractor fan out side the window.
View of bird netting and a flat roof covered in bird gwano. Nice !!!
No hot water what so ever through the shower.
Room in need of a lick of paint with the plaster knocked of the wall.
In it's day I dare say that the room was very nice but looking at it those day's have longed gone.
£40 room only or with breakfast it was not worth the money.
Sorry. For the money I have stayed in far better places.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Monachty

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Room 6 has great river view and is very comfy . The shower is poor and either freezing cold or boiling hot , the room cleaning could also be better . The staff were very friendly and the food was good basic pub grub but the full breakfast was very good . We also very much enjoyed open mic night with the local kids playing guitar and singing especially Eddie ( your great ) .

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My family has stayed at this hotel/pub the last 7 years. We travel from USA to visit family in the area. This year we could not believe the drastic change. This establishment will be closed VERY SOON! Where to start. Let me first give you the very few positives...The food portions are plentiful and tasty. That's it.

The folks who run it are all kids and don't care...because..they are kids. The careless attitude shows throughout the hotel. The hotel is very run down and dated. We stayed in the family room. It was filthy. The carpets were not vacuumed at all. The paint peeling. No soap in the bathroom for two days, even though we were told they would fill it on check in. The 2nd day our room cleaning existed of emptying one waste basket that's it. All the dirty wet towels were left on the bedding,bedding not made, no refill on toilet paper, no restock of tea, filthy cups left on desk and no clean towels. We mentioned it to the front desk person. His response was,"Well that doesn't sound like GRACE...and she's my girlfirend". It went even more down hill from there...since we spoke up we were treated like the plague.
Let me just mention a few more things..Our drinking cups never got cleaned our entire stay, we had to get toilet paper from the bar toilet because ours never got refilled, the room remained filthy. The tables in the pub area always had glasses on them. In fact, we sat at one table, had our drinks, left for an hour and came back and another couple was sitting where we sat, our glasses were still on the table, and all the other tables had glasses on them too! No one was even sitting at the tables, and bar staff were just standing around.
One breakfast we were told that we would have to wait because the chef just didn't show up. She eventually showed up over an hour later.
Another breakfast we had to sit next to a canister vacuum that was just left out and not put away.
Upon leaving, one person in our party said goodbye to GRACE...the one that never cleaned our room. She was sitting in the hallway. We were ignored by her and she never spoke.

I can honestly say that I have never seen a place go down hill so fast. The rudeness, carelessness, and dirty atmosphere is one that I will not return to. There are other places in town that are better choices now.
When we checked out we were never asked how we enjoyed our stay...had they asked, they would have been told.
This was just a very disappointing visit especially since my 91 year old father, who is originally from Wales will probably not be back to visit again due to his age and health. This establishment should be ashamed by the way they treat people and some proper management should come in and take over before it's too late. Where are the adults? Surely someone must be checking on this young crew! They are dragging this place down.

Room Tip: Can't give a tip. I'm sure they are all worn and dirty.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank LMW3462
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Me and the husband decided to visit Aberaeron And found this very lovely pub! The staff were great and very helpful, explained what we needed to do and when we got a little confused the lovely barmaid showed us to our table and explained that it's bar service!
The food came out and it was one of the best beef chillies I've ever eaten and my husband very much enjoyed his large rack of ribs, we were amused by the size of them as they covered more than the plate! Was also nice to see a happy atmosphere between the staff, the restaurant was really busy but all staff had smiles on their faces!
Overall our visit was very good and we'd highly recommend this place to eat because what you get is a bargain! Great staff and a lovely warm feeling!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Alisonjenkins
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

We've stopped here a few times and although basic it is in a great location with really friendly service. There is also a decked area outside which has a lovely view of the harbour-great place to have a drink!

The rooms are fine, en suite with tv, drinks all the usual however I was disappointed with the cleanliness of the rooms this time. There were hairs in the sink and on the walls in the bathroom, the shower/sink looked like they hadn't been cleaned in a while and the bedside table was really dusty. As well as this we were unable to use the shower as it went from boiling hot for a few seconds to freezing cold which was really annoying. With a little tlc this place could be great.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank JD13Wolverhampton
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights over the bank holiday as it was reasonably priced for the area given what was available at time of booking.

The location of the pub is perfect - very central in Aberaeron with free parking next door on the harbor. The staff were helpful at check in but not very enthusiastic at breakfast. The room was large but simple with a door-less wardrobe and tv stuck in a corner, and looked in need of a repaint. One side of a double bed slumped and as noted by previous reviewers the shower as a bit hit and miss. We didn't have any sort of view but hadn't expected one. The cooked breakfast was generous but I would have liked some sort of fruit to go with the cereals.

Aberaeron itself is a lovely seaside town and I'm so pleased that we chose to base ourselves here for journeys up and down the coast. Given the price for the location it was a perfectly okay stay. I'd happily stay again to save money to spend on other holiday activities but it's definitely nothing special.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Becky H
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We booked one night in The Monachty just for a break away from home.
Truthfully, we decided on The Monachty because it was well located and the price was good in comparison to other hotels/B & B's in the area.
At the end of the day, you get what you pay for and that certainly was the case here. I cannot fault the staff who were attentive and very helpful. However, the room was very tired and in need of an update or even just a coat of fresh paint. It was clean though which is the main issue as far as I'm concerned. We also had a beautiful view from our window.
I'm sure the sleep quality could have been improved if the rooms were better sound proofed as the people in the next room decided to watch breakfast TV at 6:00am and we could hear the television very clearly in our room.
We ate our dinner in The Monachty which was lovely and excellent value but the breakfast, well that was tremendous! It was huge! I've never had such a large breakfast in a hotel/B & B before and I don't think I ate again that day after such a filling meal.
If you're looking for good value accommodation, then book The Monachty but if you're looking for something a bit more sumptuous, this is not the place for you.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberaeron
Feathers Royal Hotel
Arosfa Harbourside Guesthouse
Arosfa Harbourside Guesthouse
#10 of 12 in Aberaeron
Merwerydd Guest Accommodation

Been to Monachty? Share your experiences!