“Trading on past reputation”

New Celtic Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 31 Restaurants in Aberaeron
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner served. Families welcome. Adjacent to the Car Park. Scenic views of the harbour
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Been going to Aberaeron for many years. Always used to look forward to visiting this fish and chips shop as the food was very good (perhaps even deserving their claim to be the best in Wales). Not so now.

There has been a steady decline in both the service and quality of the food over the last few years. Chips which used to be crisp and tasty (guess they were double fried) are now greasy and soggy. And the fish tends to be overcooked too.

As to the service: they seem to prefer to serve locals first at the expense of tourists and waste time talking to them instead of bothering to serve other customers.

Owners need to start cracking the whip I think. Will be going back here in 2015 and hope to see an improvement to somewhere near where they were 10-15 years ago.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Great chicken curry and chips! Will be returning to try more on the menu. Also fab service - even though they did not openly sell sausage in batter, the gentleman provided me with one and it was very yummy! Thank you.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Years ago this was THE Fish and Chip restaurant in Aberaeron but for some reason the service and quality of the food has dropped. The portions are also smaller and the food didn't taste as good as a few years ago.

3  Thank lesstoneuk
Reviewed 28 May 2014

As said above, massive portions, freshly cooked and fairly priced. Top it off with a honey ice cream from the shop on the other side of the harbour

1  Thank Peteofkent
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Just had lunch here. Feel like my purse has been abused. £1.70 for a coke. A CAN OF COKE. £1.70!!
Had 2 plates of fish and chips and they were delicious, but when paying £10 for a meal, I expect to be offered condiments and have somebody check back our meals to make sure they were ok. I had to ask for ketchup and was given 2 sachets. I don't expect to fiddling about and getting sticky fingers opening sachets when I'm paying £10 for fish and chips. Stop being so tight and just put a bottle of ketchup on each table! I had to ask for more as I eat A LOT of ketchup, (I even offered to pay for them), and the surly faced waitress returned with 3 more sachets. There were 2 of us, and 6 sachets amount to about a spoonful of ketchup each. Went to ask for some more ketchup and surely face rudely pointed to where the ketchup was kept, huffed and said 'help yourself'... Surely in a fish and chip restaurant you can't be that grumpy about people wanting ketchup for goodness sake!
Anyway, no one checked back our meals, no one cleared our plates, so we went up to pay. There hadn't been a drinks menu on the table, so when we learned we were paying £1.70 per can of coke, I was disgusted. When the drinks were bought over the waitress had her fingers inside the glasses to carry them and there wasn't even any ice.... Ridiculous prices. Best part of £25 spent for 2 of us, and yeah the food was yummy, but the service and price completely let's this place down. I wouldn't visit again on principle, even for takeaway, just because I feel so totally ripped off!

4  Thank Kimmy_d14