“Food is definitely worth the price now Ludo's in charge!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Aberaeron
Harbourmaster Hotel
Ranked #2 of 12 Aberaeron B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I came here once with a friend in 2008 or 2009, and until today, I hadn't been back. The reason is that I felt back then that the food wasn't worth the price. Although there was nothing at all wrong with the food, both my friend and I felt that it wasn't worth the price tag. It wasn't cheap, and for that price, we expected more. I was passing through Aberaeron today at lunchtime on my way home from North Wales, and decided to call in for lunch at the Harbourmaster as I was aware that Ludo is now head chef there, and having tasted Ludo's food many a time at the establishment he owned in Newcastle Emlyn, I knew I could expect high quality food, and I was not disappointed! The food was absolutely delicious - definitely worth the price! And there was a good choice on the menu too. Something to suit everybody I'd say. Nice as well to have Halen Mo^n on the table - it's the best salt EVER, and went so well with the chips (which, by the way, were beatifully presented in a blue and white mug, typical colours at the Harbourmaster, and 'chip shop' paper). I refused vinegar when offered as I felt vinegar would have spoilt it - all it needed was some Halen Mo^n. :) Also, the service was excellent. The waitresses were very friendly and helpful, and the all spoke Welsh too, which is something I value greatly, especially as I feel more comfortable communicating in my native tongue rather than my second language. Another trip to North Wales is on the cards soon, and I shall most certainly be calling in at the Harbourmaster on my way back home, and on many more trips after that!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank meinirann

Reviewed 28 July 2013

Just returned from our third stay at the Harbourmaster. If anything on this occasion the hotel surpassed the excellence we experienced on our two previous visits. The room and the food were again first rate, but a special mention should go to the staff. Nothing was too much trouble, even down to providing a bucket and water to enable me to remove the results of a dive-bombing seagull! Special mention to Hannah and Lauren for their service and friendliness and not least for remembering us immediately after an absence of two years! A perfect relaxing environment.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

We've stayed at the Harbourmaster more or less at least once every year since it opened, and have always enjoyed our time there and in Aberaeron. Compared to the early days the hotel is now a much bigger, slicker and - on a glorious weekend like our last visit - intensely vibrant operation. What hasn't changed, however, are its core values of being rooted in the community with plenty of locals on the payroll and as much of the restaurant's ingredients coming from the locality as possible.
We stayed in Madona - a lovely suite, even if you still hit your head at least once a weekend, even if you've stayed in it before! Aeron Belle is also a very nice room.
The restaurant has maintained its very high standards through the process of multiplying its level of output many times over in recent years, and the Harbourmaster is still one of the centres of social life for the town, and can't be beaten on a warm Summer evening with the punters packing both the quay and the bar. It can be noisy, you just have to allow for that and roll with it.
Top marks also to Glyn and Menna for backing the Cardigan Bay Seafood Festival which was getting into full swing as we left. An amazing range of the best food and drink, and a real shame we were leaving just as it was getting going...one to come back for.
One slightly cheeky plug for another gem of Aberaeron (as it doesn't seem to have a page of its own) - the Cadwgan Inn is a superb little pub just round the corner from the Harbourmaster. More a front room with a bar in it than a full size tavern...and worth a swift half in any visitor's itinerary!

Reviewed 23 July 2013

What a shame! The service was to say the least bad...order forgotten, pepper asked for forgotten, cutlery taken away before main served, more waiting .....could understand waiting if full but wasn't...no apology and seemed to me that the staff who were all pretty young could do with going on a hospitality course!!!!!!!.real shame as although food overpriced, but guess paying for location,it was reasonable...wnot be returning in a hurry

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank mediclotte
Reviewed 19 July 2013

It is not cheap but you do not come away feeling it was expensive due to the standard that the Harbourmaster attains. That includes the accomadation, food and the personal service that all the staff provide. This is our third visit to this gem of a location and will not be our last. Long may the Harbourmaster continue!!

Room Tip: They are all different and all good. We have stayed in three types this latest one being the Madona...
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We enjoyed our stay here. John and Henry suite was excellent, loved the fridge with reasonably priced drinks and fresh milk for our tea. Im being a bit picky here as the weather was hot we left the terrace doors open and I could hear the kitchen fans going from 4am and there was a slight odour of breakfast cooking - If we had wanted too we could have shut the doors and put the air con in the room, so i cant really complain
We booked for 2 nights Dinner Bed and Breakfast, and was disappointed that the menu was the same both nights... The first night, our waiter, although pleasant did not put enough ice in the wine cooler so our wine was not chilled, he forgot our water and another waitress brought us water without ice... Food was good, especially the lobster and also the peach soup. Breakfast was nice, could have done with more laverbread, and not having to cook toast ourselves !
It was a good break, and with a couple of tweaks especially with staff training issues it would be excellent !

Reviewed 18 July 2013

Excellent hotel, Madona suite was fantastic, absolutely loved it. The food in the restaurant was of the highest quailty in terms of taste and presentation. A massive plus for me that evero ne spoke Welsh

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberaeron
Castle Hotel
#1 of 1 in Tregaron
The Falcondale Hotel
The Falcondale Hotel
#1 of 1 in Lampeter

Been to Harbourmaster Hotel? Share your experiences!