“Lovely break”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Aberaeron
Harbourmaster Hotel
Ranked #1 of 11 Aberaeron B&B and Inns
“Lovely break”
Reviewed 9 August 2013 via mobile

Great little view, lovely room, good service, buzzing bar and restaurant - make sure to book in advance. Great walks around. Wine by the glass and relatively inexpensive. Only problem is when to go back.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Great ambience, food and service.
The location is very picturesque. Parking can be a little trouble some.
The restaurant is always busy so book ahead to avoid disappointment
Food- great fish, lamb and vegetarian food.
Staff- friendly

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Welshpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Sea views in two directions, a very stylish suite and lovely extra touches, like real coffee and a cafetiere in the room. Staff are so friendly and welcoming - this was a return visit and several welcomed us back. It feels as if staff enjoy working there. The bar is full of locals as well as visitors and everyone is having a good tome.
The dinner menu has a very good choice of locally produced dishes. Our fish and lamb were excellent.
We don't usually pay this much, but the suites in the Harbourmaster are worth it.

Room Tip: Stayed in Madona this time, the original harbour master's lookout, so lots of stairs but worth i...
Bardolino
Reviewed 30 July 2013

My husband and I have just spent a night at the Harbour Master and to be honest were not too impressed! My friends had purchased a voucher for Welshrarebits Hotels' for my 60th birthday and as we had a christening in Aberystwyth we thought it was an ideal opportunity to visit the hotel and spend a night in sheer luxury! I was so looking forward to this 'gift' and had thought of other hotels I could use it - but this seemed ideal!

It was not good from the moment we arrived! It was pouring with rain and we arrived at the back entrance of the hotel and buzzed but couldn't get anyone to answer - we were getting extremely wet and eventually a lady on her way to the toilet let us in! We were eventually showed to our accommodation for the night - which was a cottage down the road - still in the pouring rain! We were shown the facilities for tea making and the lounge etc. and then our bedroom! The bathroom was far larger than the bedroom. There was no wardrobe facility apart from a little rail which was open and no bedside cabinet - which I like to keep a glass of water on at night! We arrived about 6.00 pm and from then onwards all we heard were people running up and down the stairs several times and shouting at each other - again very late at night and we could hear them talking in their rooms and whatever else they were doing - It was just like being at home, not in a luxury hotel!!

On top of this there was a Music festival of some kind on (which is no fault of yours I know!) and that was blaring away until quite late!

We decided to go to the restaurant early because of the noise! Again we were disappointed - the bar meals looked far more appetising - my husband doesn't eat fish so there was very little choice available for him!

Breakfast was really good - no complaints there!!

But honestly - having paid £136 on top of my £100 voucher in what was to have been a night of luxury - I was extremely disappointed! Sorry!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room in the actual hotel - not in the cottages - unless you are a group together...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank eJanej
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I came here once with a friend in 2008 or 2009, and until today, I hadn't been back. The reason is that I felt back then that the food wasn't worth the price. Although there was nothing at all wrong with the food, both my friend and I felt that it wasn't worth the price tag. It wasn't cheap, and for that price, we expected more. I was passing through Aberaeron today at lunchtime on my way home from North Wales, and decided to call in for lunch at the Harbourmaster as I was aware that Ludo is now head chef there, and having tasted Ludo's food many a time at the establishment he owned in Newcastle Emlyn, I knew I could expect high quality food, and I was not disappointed! The food was absolutely delicious - definitely worth the price! And there was a good choice on the menu too. Something to suit everybody I'd say. Nice as well to have Halen Mo^n on the table - it's the best salt EVER, and went so well with the chips (which, by the way, were beatifully presented in a blue and white mug, typical colours at the Harbourmaster, and 'chip shop' paper). I refused vinegar when offered as I felt vinegar would have spoilt it - all it needed was some Halen Mo^n. :) Also, the service was excellent. The waitresses were very friendly and helpful, and the all spoke Welsh too, which is something I value greatly, especially as I feel more comfortable communicating in my native tongue rather than my second language. Another trip to North Wales is on the cards soon, and I shall most certainly be calling in at the Harbourmaster on my way back home, and on many more trips after that!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank meinirann
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Just returned from our third stay at the Harbourmaster. If anything on this occasion the hotel surpassed the excellence we experienced on our two previous visits. The room and the food were again first rate, but a special mention should go to the staff. Nothing was too much trouble, even down to providing a bucket and water to enable me to remove the results of a dive-bombing seagull! Special mention to Hannah and Lauren for their service and friendliness and not least for remembering us immediately after an absence of two years! A perfect relaxing environment.

North Wales
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We've stayed at the Harbourmaster more or less at least once every year since it opened, and have always enjoyed our time there and in Aberaeron. Compared to the early days the hotel is now a much bigger, slicker and - on a glorious weekend like our last visit - intensely vibrant operation. What hasn't changed, however, are its core values of being rooted in the community with plenty of locals on the payroll and as much of the restaurant's ingredients coming from the locality as possible.
We stayed in Madona - a lovely suite, even if you still hit your head at least once a weekend, even if you've stayed in it before! Aeron Belle is also a very nice room.
The restaurant has maintained its very high standards through the process of multiplying its level of output many times over in recent years, and the Harbourmaster is still one of the centres of social life for the town, and can't be beaten on a warm Summer evening with the punters packing both the quay and the bar. It can be noisy, you just have to allow for that and roll with it.
Top marks also to Glyn and Menna for backing the Cardigan Bay Seafood Festival which was getting into full swing as we left. An amazing range of the best food and drink, and a real shame we were leaving just as it was getting going...one to come back for.
One slightly cheeky plug for another gem of Aberaeron (as it doesn't seem to have a page of its own) - the Cadwgan Inn is a superb little pub just round the corner from the Harbourmaster. More a front room with a bar in it than a full size tavern...and worth a swift half in any visitor's itinerary!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberaeron
Feathers Royal Hotel
The Falcondale Hotel
The Falcondale Hotel
#1 of 2 in Lampeter
Merwerydd Guest Accommodation

Been to Harbourmaster Hotel? Share your experiences!