“Delayed well done!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Aberaeron
Harbourmaster Hotel
Ranked #1 of 11 Aberaeron B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Delayed well done!”
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

Weather was awful, the storms were pounding, but the harbourmaster was on form again. Went for lunch and also ended up having dinner too. Great food and staff. Every time I visit it seems to get better and better. Well done. Sorry for the late review.

Stayed December 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Hereford
Reviewed 14 March 2014

We have been staying The Harbourmaster for around 10 years and gave seen it grow in size and popularity . The owners have made a huge success of their B&B , restaurant and bar. Our last stay was in August last year and was fantastic - this time we stayed in March - again booking their 2 night Dinner B&B package but were a bit disappointed. The staff are lovely, friendly and helpful, and mostly naturally welsh speaking. The rooms are great but the old part does look in need of a bit of decoration. Our gripe was that the dinner menu was the same on both evenings and with no specials we had little choice. A vegetarian couple on the next table had to eat the same meal both nights as there was nothing else to choose. On previous visits we have seen a different menu on each night with a couple of specials . Secondly the short list of starters included 3 deep fried options, smoked haddock fish cake was tasteless, laver bread and cockle was tiny and goats cheese balls dry. Each dish was presented with the same garnish. I wondered if the chef had changed but was told it was still the same as in August. The menu was lazy, unimaginative and poorly executed. The cod main with Chorizo and chickpeas was too heavy and the cod was overcooked and chickpeas like bullets. Deserts were great but the cheese came without grapes, celery , chutney and just 1 type of biscuit unlike previous vists when it was presented with more care. Breakfast was as always great but it would have been great to advise me that the fabulous smoked salmon and scrambled eggs came without toast as customers have to make their own on a single slow toaster - there was a queue ....other customers were also annoyed at having to eat their scrambled eggs without toast. I was also not particularly happy that we had to eat at 7pm on the Saturday and the tables for 2 were all in rather poor locations close to the bar and kitchen as there was a large group taking prime spot. Am sure we were just unlucky but I would not book an inclusive package again and would eat just one evening there and try somewhere else on the other evening. It's dangerous to rest on your laurels in an increasingly competitive market and The Harbourmasters have raised the game in Aberaeron - they need to make sure they keep ahead of the game.

Room Tip: All are lovely but walls are thin in the old part and sadly the air on over the kitchen are very lou...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KerryDiamond
West Midlands
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We had a fabulous stay at the Harbourmaster. The room was beautifully furnished and very cosy with a lovely of the harbour. We ate both nights here and the food was super. I would recommend the cote de boeuf which was so tasty. Breakfast had loads of choice. Staff were super friendly and nice touch each morning to suggest what to do for the day. We will be back.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Visited here with work a couple of times to eat but this is the first time I had stayed here.
Excellent quick check in and was offered help to my room by a member of staff. Room was very very nice. Clean fresh yet in keeping with the original building. Had a great view of the harbour and a good tea coffee and water selection.

The bar is pretty good for food. The fish and chips that some of my friends had didn't look to great but the burger I ordered was pretty good. As always the beer and service at the bar is great. The harbour master ale is a great pint.

Breakfast was nice but they could do with a slightly bigger choice of cereals and fruits. But on the flip side the service was excellent.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We have just returned from a lovely weekend at the Harbourmaster. The biggest asset to this Hotel is the staff. Nothing was too much trouble for them. My Partner needs to have a Gluten Free diet and this is by far one of the best places we have been to cater for this. The staff we knowledgeable about the ingredients in the food available and were able to make alterations to dishes so they were suitable. The food here was of a very high standard with a great choice. The views of the harbour from the bar, restaurant and our room was great, you could sit all day and take in the view. Would certainly recommend.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2014

I recently spent three nights in the Harbourmaster while on a business trip. What a pleasant stay it was! From smooth and quick check-in to being asked if I wanted help with my bags, to being showed the features of the room, my first impression was very good.

The bathroom was well appointed and spacious with a bath and a shower. I'm particular about my showers and this did not disappoint having the capacity to be more powerful and hot than I would expect.

The food in the bar was fantastic and the restaurant food (also available to eat in the bar) was superb, especially for the price. I'd like to make a special mention of Carys, the particularly helpful (and attractive!) staff member who never failed to look after me and my colleagues.

My only gripe is that I could quite clearly hear one side of the phone conversation in the room next door, but I think he was particularly loud as the recent rain and high winds did not make it a sleepless night.

The next time I'm working in the area I'll not hesitate to go back.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 3 (called Oronsa) which was on the first floor and had a great view of the harbour...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Bedfordshire
Reviewed 28 January 2014

My husband booked a couple of nights at the Harbourmaster for a birthday treat for me after several recommendations from family and friends. This was our first visit. First impressions were rather mixed - the room at the front of the hotel with sea views was very pleasant, well furnished and clean. However when we arrived we had to check in at the desk in the bar area which was a bit strange The receptionist was rather cool and offhand and offered us no assistance with our luggage that we had to carry up two windy steep flights of stairs.
The walls of the rooms seemed quite thin for an old building and we could hear people in other rooms, TV and bathroom notices from several rooms around us.
We decided to eat in the bar on the first night and in the restaurant on the second night. The bar was incredibly noisy, so much so that it was difficult to hold a conversation. A few soft furnishings or wall sound absorbing wall panels would help reduce the noise a lot.
I am vegetarian as well as needing a gluten free diet so we had checked with the hotel before arriving that there would be a range of suitable food available. We ordered a few entrees of olives, humus etc which were horrible. The olives were weird tasting and the humus had no taste at all. It seemed that some chickpeas had just been food processed with no garlic, lemon juice or seasoning. It's actually quite difficult to get a simple recipe so wrong so this did not install confidence for the following courses. The pear and local welsh cheese salad starter was actually very nice. Disappointingly there was only one vegetarian meal on the menu (there were loads of meat and fish options for my husband) which was a vegetable stew with a slice of goats cheese on top. It looked very unappetising and tasted even worse than it looked. It was just a pile of chopped bog standard vegetable like carrots and peas in a very hot tomatoe sauce. It was so spicy that I could not eat it. A waitress and the manager asked if our food was OK after delivering the food to our table. When I told both of them separately that I could not eat it they both just said 'sorry about that' and walked away. There was no attempt to rectify the situation or offer me any alternative food. We waited ages for someone to come and clear the table and in the end we had to ask - were never visited again to be offered a dessert or coffee so we left and went back to our room. It wasn't even that busy so it was hard to overlook us - the staff were just plain rude and completely unattentive. The service at breakfast was no better and when I asked for three slices of gluten free toast ( that was all I asked for - i wasn't having anything else) I was told I could only have two slices as they had run out! We decided not to eat in the restaurant the following evening and went to somewhere a few minutes away and had a fantastic meal and excellent service.
We gave our feedback to the duty manager when we were checking out. She was very pleasant but all she could say was 'sorry about that - I wish I could do something' and then proceeded to do nothing. She said that all the staff have been trained in customer service and waiting at tables but we saw no evidence of that. I suggested that they visit the other restaurant we went to so they could see what good service looked like.
We will definitely not be returning to this hotel. It's such a shame as it is in an excellent location but the people just do not care about their customers and the food was below standard. If you are vegetarian or need any special dietary requirements, if you want value for money and good service I would advise avoiding this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank StanleyGBeds
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberaeron
Feathers Royal Hotel
#1 of 13 in Aberystwyth
The Cliff Hotel & Spa
The Cliff Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Cardigan

Been to Harbourmaster Hotel? Share your experiences!