“How relaxing”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Aberaeron
Harbourmaster Hotel
Ranked #2 of 12 Aberaeron B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 August 2009

We stayed for 4 nights in the cottage a few doors down from the main hotel. The room was bright, clean and although slightly small, very well kept and equipped. The bed was extremely comfortable.
We ate twice in the restaurant and twice in the bar. The quality of the food was very good indeed, as was the service, attentive and friendly without being in your face and nosy.
It was the height of the summer season, but parking was not a problem.
All in all a very enjoyable and thoroughly relaxing stay and we look forward to doing it all again sometime soon.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dteach

Reviewed 9 August 2009

We stayed in The Madona suite (the original Harbourmasters look-out room). The suite was amazing, incredible views of both the harbour and the sea. The suite was furnished beautifully and with real style. Incredibly comfortable bed, luxury bathroom and feeling of space. The staff were incredibly helpful and made us feel special. The food, both for evening meal in the bar and at breakfast, used the best local produce possible and was the best we have ever tasted.

I cannot put into words just how special and different this hotel is. I would wholeheartedly recommend it as a relaxing place to visit for a special occasion or treat.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank schnarum
Reviewed 27 July 2009

My partner and I stayed in Aberaeron for 2 days and decided to have dinner at the Harbourmaster Hotel. We hadn't booked so couldn't get a table in the resturant but in a way this turned out to be a lucky stroke because if the poor standard of food in the bar is anything to go by I would not have wanted to pay the over-inflated prices in the resturant. My partner had the Lamb and cous cous which was tender but tasteless and uninspiring. I had the £10.50 Fish Pie. Watery tasteless potato topping and no sauce with the fish underneath apart from the water seaping from the potato. Total disapointment. I felt begrudged to pay the bill but on the other was happy that we weren't paying a fortune for the same low-grade standard in the resturant, that's if it is the same standard. If it isn't then I don't see why the managers think it's acceptable to dish out rubbish in the bar just because its cheaper. (note cheapER not cheap!) It is a very stylish place and good for a relaxing drink but that's about it.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Skedgell
Reviewed 15 July 2009

This is how hotels should be. Beautifully appointed room with Molton Brown toiletries, immaculately clean and fresh bathroom, simple but quality furnishings. The bed was incredibly comfortable with an excellent view of the harbour. We loved the quirky shutters for the windows and the exposed brick around the window frame.

Excellent food, excellent service, with first class staff and very friendly Hotel Manger.

Very small car park, but plenty of alternatives available close by.

My only complaint? Should have stayed there longer!!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JPRMX5
Reviewed 28 June 2009

In the past we've stayed in the Harbourmaster a few times but on this visit to Aberaeron we only ate in the restaurant (this time we stayed next door at 3 Pen Cei which we liked very much). We were very disappointed with our meals mainly because of the size of the portions. As a starter I ordered crab and local sea trout which cost £8.50. It was served on a bed of cucumber and with bread - the cucumber and bread were plentiful enough but there was very little sea trout and crab. For main course I chose lobster at £18.50 - no choice on how it was served with chips and rosemery butter. There wasn't much lobster meat (half of a small one). There were loads of chips but they were rather underdone for my taste. I had two lettuce leaves - large outside ones which I would normally put in the compost bin. We were offered more bread which we declined - it seems the restaurant is very generous with the cheap ingredients but miserly with the more costly food. Because I was still hungry I ordered cheese which to be fair was good and plentiful. The service was very rushed - there was a draught each time the staff whizzed past. The staff were very pleasant but we just had the impression that there was too much emphasis on making money and relying on their reputation instead of making an effort to give dinners a good and relaxing experience.
The weather was superb the night we were there and there were crowds of people outside enjoying drinks from the bar by the harbour wall. They were clearly having a great time. I think the next time we may join them for fun drinks outside but eat and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Truly_8
Reviewed 8 June 2009

A few friends and colleagues had stayed here in the past and raved about the place so I was looking forward to my one night stay and all-in-all it lived up to expectations.

The welcome was good and there was a real atmosphere about the bar area and the outside harbour area ,where some of those staying were enjoying a drink with some locals. The hotel itself is very clean and exudes a certain Welshness but a few things let the it down. Firstly the room (number 2) was very small with no place to store clothes /luggage and it just seemed a bit cluttered. The bathroom (which seemed to be located in the closet) contained a shower which was literally tiny, I'm lucky that I'm a relatively slim guy as if I was any larger I would have probably had to go without! It was probably the cheapest room there so I guess I didn't expect a suite but it did take me a little by surprise.

Other minus points one can hardly lay at the feet of the hotel - noisy "neighbours" / thin walls...enough said!! Plus I was facing the harbour and a few kids decided to do some biking right outside my window at around 11:30 which was a little annoying. The food was perhaps a little overpriced but still tasted pretty good and the service was excellent.

All in all, definitely the place to stay in Aberaeron however if you have some more time, I would travel a little further north and stay in the vastly superior boutique hotel, Gwesty Cymru, in Aberystwyth.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 May 2009

Stayed in this hotel for one night to celebrate our wedding anniversary using the dinner, bed and breakfast deal. This is the 2nd time we stayed in the Harbourmaster but we have eaten there on numerous occasions. We have always had excellent service and food. Stayed in the Martha Jane room and what a fantastic room, good views, large comfortable bed, underfloor heating throughout, huge bathroom with fabulous separate bath and shower. The weather wasn't warm enough to use the balcony but this was large and the only problem would have been that it is overlooked. With regards to another member's comment on requesting bar food in the restaurant, we have done this on two separate occasions, including this recent visit, without any problems. All staff in this beautiful hotel cannot do enough for you and are really friendly and welcoming. The only downside of the hotel is parking, there is a small car park behind it but this fills up quickly and there are a few spaces in front of the hotel, but again fill up rapidly, we have parked at the sea front for a parking fee and it isn't too far a walk. We will definetly be returning to this hotel time and time again in the coming years. We have travelled all over the world and this is one of the best hotels we have had the pleasure to stay in.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wsm4
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberaeron
Castle Hotel
11 mi away
The Falcondale Hotel
The Falcondale Hotel
#1 of 1 in Lampeter

Been to Harbourmaster Hotel? Share your experiences!