“Too expensive”
Review of Ar y bel

Ar y bel
Ranked #3 of 4 things to do in Aberaeron
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We visited in March this year and simply walked back out. It's ridiculous to charge £3 per adult as well as the child's admission fee. I felt penalised by being a two parent family. I didn't object to the entry charges for a 6yr old, but I begrudge paying £6 on-top before I even buy the obligatory drinks. I felt it important to question the charges and the lady on the till simply said the equipment could be used by adults as well, hence the charge. What nonsense. I certainly wouldn't recommend this play centre, which is a shame. We had a lovely afternoon in Newquay playing on the beach, I'd recommend that instead!

3  Thank Foofluppet

Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stopped on a regular journey from Aberystwyth to Cardiff because as my 5 year old had car sickness. Having mentioned how expensive entry was we were told by the manager "well, you should have kept on going. This is a controlled environment, we don't want sick children in here"...this was said after we had parted with £17.90 to enter. Shortsighted and defensive, good businesses appreciate customer views. Mi fyddai'n cael diffyg cyfiawnhau mynd nol i'r lle yma...ond wedyn, dydyn nhw ddim isho fy musnes i, a fy mhlant sal! Neges rhyfedd i'w roi i'r cyhoedd?

9  Thank Mared2
Reviewed 2 March 2014

For a family of five costs £5.95 per child and £3 per adult. Thats nearly £25 before you even add food and drinks. Food is horrendous, and takes too long to arrive. Snacks too over priced. Even with annual pass you would be lucky to make a saving: £90 for 3 kids and £30 for adults. Kids enjoy when place is quite, otherwise too hot and stuffy. Staff can be very rude, rather travel further for better quality and value.

1  Thank bexs09876
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We visited with our two children - 2 and 9. This is the only play centre I've ever been to where adults have had to pay to get in, so we didn't get off to a great start.

We went downstairs to the main play area and the smell of sweat and stale air hits you straight away (and the smell of vomit/worse). The heat was stifling... after 5 minutes of playing the children where dripping in sweat. There were very few places to sit downstairs so we had to sit on the floor when we needed breaks. Lots of people who had drinks and food downstairs didn't have seats either which meant that there were lots of empty cups and plates all over the floor. I went upstairs to ask if a window could be opened because it was so hot and to ask for a member of staff to collect the dirty dishes. But there were no windows to open and although they said someone would come to collect the dishes this never happened.

About an hour before closing when it was perhaps a little less busy a man came downstairs and opened two big doors into the car park and then put a large piece of wood (say four feet high) across the gap leaving a gap of 1 foot below and 2-3 feet above to let air in. He explained they couldn't do it before because of health and safety. Although the breeze was nice any child could have got out of the building (and any stranger get in) so yes, clearly a health and safety problem. One of us had to stay near to make sure one of our children (or another) didn't run out - the man didn't stay to do this job.

The play facilities for the children were good, but the heat, smell and general safety concerns with the dirty dishes all over the floor and access concerns meant the overall experience was awful. Added to that the staff were, if not rude, fairly unfriendly and unhelpful.

I have been to a lot of play centres over the years and I've never been anywhere remotely close to as bad as this.

7  Thank SheffieldZebra
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We can say nothing but positives about this Soft Play Centre. It was non stop fun from the minute we arrived.
A very clean large full of fun family run establishment. Such lovely and friendly people.
We had so much fun with our (very nearly) one year old son - the activities along with some other lovely children and parents at the centre the day we visited made it even nicer.
When we ventured downstairs to the very large play area it was a little colder but there is just so much to do that we had warmed up in no time. Our little one kept us busy playing and crawling around with him. That is another great point actually - the sections of play are so large that you can do what you're supposed to do, and play with as well as supervise your child.
We only sampled the coffee and the Scones - both really nice and very reasonable prices.
The baby changing area was clean and tidy and a good size and they also provide hand gel.
We stayed till around 4.30pm and some older children came in after school and still the atmosphere was great with a youngster as the older children had attentive parents.
Personally I feel this is a superb place to entertain for a good few hours of family fun.