“Awful meal”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Lampeter, United Kingdom
“Awful meal”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Ordered three meals at lunchtime. The salmon was dry and overcooked and so was the beef burger. The owner persisted in talking loudly on the mobile phone and spraying adjacent tables with antiseptic spray. Shall not go back there again.

“The best in the area”
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Again we ate in this restaurant and we found my steak with pepper sauce and my partners lobster Thermidor was amazing we thought we were in Paris not Wales what a high class restaurant this is for the price.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Sarahblond
Wales
“Shocking!”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

The owner and staff are very rude, abrupt and beyond savage. The food that was served was by far the worst I have ever seen and were uneatable - it mainly consisted of stale/hard bread, still frozen on the middle chips, uncooked meat and to top it all off - all stone cold! Not once, did anyone apologise, Just shocking!

9 Thank lowritustain
castle05, General Manager at Castle Hotel Aberaeron, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Supprised about this comment as when these ladies were asked if everything was ok! there did not seem to be a problem! We made a special allowance to this group of 27 ladies on Sunday lunchtime as they were passing through Aberaeron after being on a hen night and we went out of our way to accommodate them to their special requirements which were not on our Sunday menu .The bread in question was freshly baked on that morning and the beef was cooked to our usual high standard.
Melbourne, Australia
“OK without being memorable”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We ate at the Castle in Aberaeron after stopping for a drink in the bar of the hotel one Sunday afternoon. We were so impressed with the pub section, we booked to come back to the restaurant in the evening.

The Restaurant is upstairs above the pub and is well presented and welcoming. The menu was a little disappointing although to be fair, it would probably appeal to seafood lovers more than it appealed to me. The restaurant tries for fine dining and charges accordingly. In my opinion it falls a little bit short of that which is why I have marked it down to Average; For those who are not overly fond of seafood, there is not a lot of other choices. The wine list was fine and the service was good, however as there were only two couples dining that evening so it should have been

My main dish of sea bass was very small (one small fillet in some melted butter) The dish was accompanied by a small serve of steamed vegetables which I strongly suspect were frozen vegetables warmed up in the microwave. My wife had Confit of Duck which was a little on the dry side but quite tasty none-the-less.

The restaurant is OK however I don't think it represents good value for money.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Geoff R
“A pleasant evening”
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Went there on the Bank Holiday Friday at about 7 pm. Initially we were the only ones there, although others trickled in as the evening progressed.
Our welcome was friendly and we had a choice of tables, we chose one overlooking the main road to watch the world passing.
Although there is a small bar upstairs. Beers can be ordered from the downstairs bar.
The room is well set out with plenty of room between the tables. It all felt clean and uncluttered. Unobtrusive French background music.
I chose the Coquilles Saint-Jacques which turned out to be quite a nicely cooked, substantial and tasty dish. The salmon and prawn terrine was tasty with a nice salad.
The duck confit was also tasty, although I felt that the sauce was not quite right (but then I'm not a sauce person). When the waitress asked how we wanted the hake we weren't sure what she meant! Medium/rare/well done? What she meant was pan fried, grilled or poached. My wife opted for grilled, and it was a large portion nicely cooked but a little wet. Veg were also a bit too al dente for our taste.
The whiskey creme brûlée was very good, with a sugar crust like shrapnel and obviously home made.
We will be going back but I have deducted one star for veg and wet fish

Visited May 2014