“Good value for a long weekend in South Wales”

and 1 more site!
Cwmbach Cottages Guest House
Ranked #1 of 1 Cadoxton B&B and Inns
Stretton on Dunsmore
“Good value for a long weekend in South Wales”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2009

On arrival, the owner made us very welcome and gave us plenty of information about the area to enable us to enjoy weekend away. We had planned to visit the Gower Peninsula, several National Trust properties and local waterfalls, and his advice helped to confirm our choices. The location is quite picturesque and there is lots to do locally - more than we imagined. His advice to use the local pub/restaurant was particularly helpfu as the food and beer were very good.

The lilac-themed bedroom would not have been to everyones taste but was quite, clean and had a good view of the garden and valley. Tea, coffee and biscuits were provided, with fresh milk in the 'f'ridge at the foot of the stairs. The only criticisms were the metal framed bed which creaked constantly when you laid down or turned over and the en suite which was a bit small and and would benefit from some refurbishment.

The breakfast was very good and hearty with plenty of choice and as a result, we didn't need lunch ! Although we didn't use the residents' lounge, this could have been a benefit if the weather had not been so good. We did sit and have a drink in the garden one evening which was a nice end to the day.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Lincolnshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2009

We've been staying at Cwmbach Cottages for 5 years and have come back every year. We wouldn't stay anywhere else. The rooms are always very clean and the breakfast is excellent with a great choice. The scenery and surrounding landscape are stunning with beautiful walks. We are planning to stay with our children and grandchildren in one of the lodges soon and know this will be an excellent base for the grandchildren's love of surfing and our love of walking.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dylmax
Carlisle, MA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2008

The kids enjoyed feeding the big fish (named Tiger) in one of the fishponds in the garden. The bedroom and bathroom were clean, and the breakfast was good.

However, this cannot make up for being attacked by a large dog (later identified by my kids as an Akita) while I was trying to find the owner to register. The dog bit me through my trousers and left me with blood pouring down my leg. The owner provided directions to the nearest A&E where they bandaged me up and put me on antibiotics.

The good news was

1) The dog didn't bite my children as it would have done much more damage to them.

2) The chain / restraint system on the dog worked and I managed to get out of range of it (though I don't exactly know how)

3) The dog was not smart enough to wait until I was a lot closer when it could have inflicted a lot more damage.

I suspect that this has happened before here as the owner said "What more can I do? I have put up a notice." Indeed, when I looked later, there was a small "Beware of the Dog" notice. However, its impact was lessened by a small yappy dog running about loose underneath it!

• Stayed August 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank MrWeather
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2007

Stayed one night, would have liked to have stayed longer.

Very friendly welcome, comfortable room (the ensuite bath, however, was tiny but adequate, with ample hot water in the shower). The walls are good and thick, no noise from neighboring rooms. A beautiful little garden to sit and read in, and walking trails out the door (a friendly neighbor on the trail directed us to a lovely overlook). Delicious full breakfast.

The only downside was that the common sitting room downstairs was noticeably musty (bad for my partner's mold allergy), but the bedroom was fine.

• Liked — country charm
  • Disliked — musty sitting room
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank JBPnfld
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cadoxton
The BlueBell Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Swansea East
Premier Inn Swansea Waterfront Hotel
Premier Inn Swansea City Centre Hotel
Premier Inn Swansea North Hotel

Been to Cwmbach Cottages Guest House? Share your experiences!