“Very poor for your usually good standards”
Review of China Club - CLOSED

China Club
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Chester, United Kingdom
“Very poor for your usually good standards”
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Visited here to celebrate my wife's birthday and from start to finish was a catalogue of errors, being coming here for years and is usually excellent but from the moment we arrived when they couldn't find our names reserved in there book(which I booked a week earlier ) to the slow (and I mean slow) service. The main course should have come out together and the rice was cold I complained and the waiter just shrugged his shoulder's? Chicken curry was not good would be a gamble coming back.

1 Thank richard a

Colwyn Bay, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Back to normal!”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Following our disappointment at the slow service on New Years Eve we returned for a banquet last Friday hoping that "normal service" had be resumed. We were not disappointed. Food and service were both excellent and we will definitely be returning there soon

• Visited February 2014
Colwyn Bay, Wales, United Kingdom
“Poor service”
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

'Im indoors and myself love the food here. Our visit last week didn't disappoint in that respect however, the service was awful.
We were only the second couple in there. Drinks order taken quickly and served promptly. We were then shown to our table where the soup (delicious) arrived. After that I'm afraid it went downhill! Too long a wait for the shared platter after the soup was cleared away. Long wait for the main course after that too.
When my husband went to the bar to pay he was told to sit down and they would bring the bill over. The reason he went to the bar in the first place was because they hadn't! After another 5 minutes we put our coats on, went back to the bar and paid as we wanted to go when we were ready not when they could be bothered.
My opinion is they employ very young staff who seem inexperienced. As a result service suffers and detracts from the delicious food, spoiling the experience.
We didn't tip which reflects how disappointed we were with the service.

Visited December 2013
Colwyn Bay, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“New Years Eve”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We have been visiting the China Club for many years and have had the New Years Eve banquet for the last 10 years. The food was again excellent but this year was a disappointment due to the very slow service. We had been on our table for over an hour and had only had the soup course.When we had been waiting for over 2 hours and still not received our main course, even though people on other tables who arrived after us had received theirs, I complained to the waitress and our main course arrived immediately. I do hope this was just a blip as normally i can't fault there Food or service.

• Visited December 2013
Llandudno, United Kingdom
“Excellent food in a cold restaurant”
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

The set 'signature' menu is delicious so I recommend trying it. There are only two drawbacks to this restaurant. The first is that it is cold so I recommend wearing a coat or a thermal vest. The other is that the loo is in poor condition and the corridor to it seems to have no heating at all. We had a quiet evening here, which is what we were looking for. The newish waitress was pleasant and helpful.
I will certainly come here again but it will be in the summer when it's warmer.