“Family friendly”

Welsh Mountain Zoo
Ranked #1 of 40 things to do in Colwyn Bay
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This conservation zoo has a wide range of rare and endangered animals from around the world.
West Bromwich, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Family friendly”
Reviewed 27 October 2011

The coffee shop has a good range of food, in season.
It over looks the "Chimps" enclosure that keeps kids entertained.
Don't visit as soon as it's opened though, as most of the animals are still asleep :)

Visited October 2011

birmingham
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“A Very beautiful zoo,situated in woodland”
Reviewed 24 October 2011

It had a lovely cafe which was round so you could see for miles
but also watch the penquins which was just alongside the cafe
the Cages for all the animals were very lovely and quite big
its well worth a visit and much bigger than we thought,we got there at 12-00 and came out at 5-30 there is plenty to see

Visited October 2011
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Take cash with you! Otherwise, great day out!”
Reviewed 1 October 2011

As the subject mentions, we had a bit of an issue with lack of cash. It's not something you expect in this day and age where you can't use a card to pay for your food but we had to cancel our order and scramble around for cash just for the kids to eat - we went without. The gift shop takes cards and offers cash back but only if you spend money (possibly a ploy?). The gift shop also doesn't sell ice creams despite pictures of the things being plastered over its walls (no pun intended).

Other than that, it's a lovely place to visit. Some great talks on all the animals and I don't think I've seen bears before. Lots of chimps and sea lions, a snow leopard too. A great day but take cash!!

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Brilliant!”
Reviewed 10 September 2011

This is the best little zoo I've been to. Great for all ages. Brilliant variety of animals, some of which I've never seen before. The various shows and demonstrations are also really good. The car park is in the middle of the zoo which is great if you take a picnic etc as u don't need to leave the zoo to get it! Brilliant adventure playground for the kids and smaller playground for toddlers. One thing to note is that the cafe's dont accept cards, cash only. The shop does however accept cards. Brilliant zoo and great value!

Bucks UK
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Far more extensive than I expected both in creatures & space”
Reviewed 7 September 2011

My first visit to a zoo for a long time.

Had a really interesting 2.5hrs wandering all over and seeing a vast variety of creatures in all sorts of settings, despite the inclement weather that morning (would have been delightful with less wind and fewer showers!).

Just kept finding new animals/huts/displays even in zones I thought I'd covered already, and the midday show of penguins & sealions was an educational & entertaining climax to my visit. A large colony of meerkats were fascinating too!

Only two things I would improve:
- better signage & signposting (and map) - myself & everyone I saw were often trying to make head of where they & things were with the map handed out on admission
- more labelling of exhibits and FAR less of benefactors (too often 1 label re exhibit, 2-3-4-5 about benefactors - who really should NOT need their "generosity" lauded so much!)

A bonus : decidely uncommercial take about the whole place - ie only a few small central sites to get childen to encourage parents' money from their pockets.

Free shuttle (Summer season only I think) from Colwyn Bay Railway Station efficiently got me to/from the site.

Not the scale or ambition (or wealth!) of the last zoo I visited - ie London Regents Park - about five years ago, but very well done indeed for a "Welsh Mountain Zoo"!

Would totally recommend - though always best to have "good weather" for an outdoor treat like this...

Visited September 2011