“Focuses more on tourists, climbers, far too expensive.”
Review of Bryn Tyrch Inn

Bryn Tyrch Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Capel Curig
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We're local and pass the Bryn Tyrch Inn on a regular basis.

We popped in for some dinner.

First off, price is way too high both for portion size and quality. I think they are aiming for a haute cuisine dining experience but with a clientele who might prefer more substantial food.
Food was ok but nowhere near value for money.

Service was decent though it did feel as though those customers who were obviously staying in the hotel part were treated far better than we casual droppers in. Restaurant was also chilly. The open fire seemed to be reserved for those who wanted to slump on the sofa.

Unfortunately this is one of those places who due to the location and footfall of tourists and climbers will always be able to charge exactly what they like.

It's a shame.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
bryntyrch, Owner at Bryn Tyrch Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

HI many thanks for your response I have written to you personally to respond to your review

. We have since you visited re launched our menu offering and now offer a greater price range of menu selection and value for money portions with an increase on local produce and seasonal products We working on this prior to your visit but it was very useful that you highlighted this matter for us.

We are situated in the heart of The national park with little or no immediate surrounding houses and the life blood of our business is our hotel guests and walkers climbers and tourists this helps us to employ local people where we can and benefit local suppliers which is an active policy of the company to pursue The re-vamp of the menu was based on this. It is however our policy to try and treat everyone who walks through our door in the same way and we are sorry that you felt our guests took priority and I am happy to discuss this with you at any time as I have said in my private response and have also an offered of a re visit

yours sincerely
Rachel Roberts
Bryn Tyrch Inn

Reviewed 16 March 2014

An enjoyable stay during our visit to climb Mt Snowdon (we could see it through the window whilst having breakfast). Good points: location, buffet/freshly cooked breakfast, quality of the room and very friendly staff.
Bad points: the risotto (texturally not good), toy hairdryer and a very low powered shower.
I'd eaten at the Bryn Tyrch a couple of times before and was impressed and although the meal I ate didn't live up to those expectations on this occasion, we'd definitely return when visiting the area again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Once again fantastic hospitality all round. Everything in this special pub and b&b is great. The rooms are four star hotel standard, the food has a good range of local produce mixed with international dishes, three super real ales and a cosy fire. Oh, and mountains at the doorstep!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I hadn't been to North Wales for many years and back then used to be on a tight budget. I was persuaded by a friend to stay for two nights here in February. It is so refreshing to stay in a place that is owner-managed by an energetic and passionate owner who cares. Rachel gets the details right: excellent food including high quality ingredients for breakfast and a fantastic range of well-cooked options for supper (pricey for the area but justifiably), good beer, smart rooms in good condition with good linen and feather pillows, open fire lit first thing in the morning and kept going all day, drying room for wet kit (we got drenched!) and critically, she gives you the impression that nothing would be too much trouble. Highly recommended & I'll be going back.

Room Tip: I stayed in the bunk room but borrowed a friend's bath in room 7 which was spacious and with gre...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Great location for hiking, walking distance to many of the bigger mountains and a short drive from many more. The staff were very efficient and friendly and the food was very enjoyable, as was the beer! Highly recommended. Good value, clean rooms.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 January 2014

My girlfriend and I decided to spend a few days in North Wales to see in the New Year. The plan was to walk up a few hills but the poor weather and a matching pair of heavy colds meant that we spent more time than planned indoors.

Pros:
Wonderful, friendly and attentive service at all times from the staff. We even got a discrete knock on the door half an hour after they were supposed to have finished serving breakfast when we had decided to have a bit of a lie-in.
The decor is great throughout from the bar/restaurant with its lovely fireplace through to the comfy bedroom and modern bathroom. Everywhere was clean and tastefully decorated - I particularly liked the framed photos of Snowdonian views around the place and there are books and board games available in the public areas.
The food is very good. A cut above gastro-pub fayre and almost (but not quite) restaurant quality fine dining. Locally sourced meat dishes were particularly good and the menu is varied and imaginative. We enjoyed the 'taster menu' on New Year's Eve which in reality was 6+ almost full sized courses.
Excellent local beer, decent wine selection and plenty of spirits to choose from.

Cons (not many):
Downstairs is definitely more a restaurant than a pub. That's not to say there isn't room for a few drinkers fresh off the hill but the decor, layout and atmosphere is more aimed at civilised dining than a boisterous pint or two. There is a friendly welcome for everyone though.
Breakfast is self-service and not up to the standard of the restaurant meals.
The evening menu is fairly pricey to reflect the quality of the dishes offered and there are few if any lighter/cheaper options.

In summary, a lovely place to stay for a treat and overall pretty good value, we'd definitely pay a return visit. However, it isn't a cheap base for eating and sleeping whilst enjoying some days in the hills and isn't trying to be.

Room Tip: Great views from the rooms at the front but the road can be quite busy.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nmarklew
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I love it here - the food is invariably excellent and very good beer too. Comfy sofas situated by the fire are welcome on a cold winter trip and the atmosphere is superb too. Have on occasion been here on my own and find it a friendly place and always end up comparing my day on the hills with somebody. The staff are really accommodating and despite being packed when I visited on the bank holiday weekend in August went out of their way to find me a space to eat in. On my recent trip I was greeted like a valued, regular customer, which impressed my travelling companion!This is why it is one of my all time favourite pubs.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Glan Aber Hotel & Bunkhouse
Glan Aber Hotel & Bunkhouse
#7 of 7 in Betws-y-Coed
Craig-y-Dderwen Riverside Hotel

Been to Bryn Tyrch Inn? Share your experiences!