“The Queen's Hotel:where NOT to stay in Harlech, Wales”
Review of The Queens Hotel

The Queens Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harlech
The Queens Hotel
Ranked #12 of 14 Harlech B&B and Inns
europe
“The Queen's Hotel:where NOT to stay in Harlech, Wales”
Reviewed 25 April 2009

Do not be taken in by flattering website pictures for the Queen's Hotel in Harlech. It is in fact located between a railway line and a main road. Neither of these are very busy, but nonetheless it's not exactly 'picturesque'. The family room we were shown had no double glazing, a broken window and a view over the industrial estate. I didn't stay long enough to test the shower, but the T.V. only produced two snowy channels. After just a few minutes on the less-than-clean premises our clothes were impregnated with the all-pervading smell of frying. Or should I say, the small of stale oil... foul. The proprietors were friendly to begin with but really need to do something about the non-existent hygiene standards on their premises.
I was thoroughly disappointed when we arrived and couldn't face staying in this shabby and sordid atmosphere so we left. I gave the proprietor 10% of what our stay should have cost, explaining sheepishly that the location wasn't what I'd expected and refraining from telling him to his face that his hotel was in my mind a filthy death-trap. Notwithstadning the 10% 'escape money' I handed over, the owner thought proper to debit my account for one night's stay as I had already given my credit card details when reserving. ( I can't imagine he'd turned down many potential guests...) Friendly? No longer.
This is the first time I have been so deceived by a website, but as I found out from other professionals locally, the Queen's Hotel doesn't belong to any trade associations and so cannot be called to account by anyone. I wonder even if they really wish to function as a place for paying guests, so far is their establishment from resembling what I would call a hotel.
My advice to the traveller: don't go there! My advice to the Queen's Hotel: clean up and renovate.
I would point out that is the first time I have ever packed up and left accommodation reserved in advance and it is also the first time I have felt strongly enough to write a review/warning.

16 Thank europeantraveller75

Travellers are raving about these Harlech hotels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)