The Queens Hotel
Ty Mawr Hotel(Llanbedr)
US$118
Hotel Portmeirion(Portmeirion)
US$318
Travelodge Porthmadog Hotel(Porthmadog)(Great Value!)
US$76
Frondirion(Llanfair)
  • Breakfast included
Byrdir House(Harlech)
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 2 November 2009

I was given a room to stay for 3 months as part of Coleg Harlech redevelopment of their hall of residence.
The room was fantastic, I was so comfortable there, until last Saturday night.
The hotel has a mother, father and two sons, one of them is called Luke. After I went through a fire exit in the early hours of Sunday morning, I was trapped in the lobby, all the doors were locked and I couldn't get out. Luke, came storming down the fire exit, gave me a lot of verbal abuse and once I got to my door, he punched me twice in the face, the police were called and today I have had to move out because of this person, he disruppted my studies because I had to move out during classes!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
7  Thank stewartlee39
Reviewed 13 September 2009

This place has too many negatives. We only booked it because we couldn't get anything else for the nights we needed. We only planned to be there to see the castle - if I could go back and do it differently I'd stay in another town and take the train / bus back to visit Harlech.

The location is good – easy access to the station, beach (a lovely long stretch of sand) and a golf course. The castle is up the hill – walkable if you are fairly mobile. Unfortunately this is where the good stuff ends. The hotel is very dated (c1970s) and drab. The pub still has carpet in the toilets. Floral patterned, of course.

The breakfasts weren't good – the cooked breakfast included tinned tomatoes and tinned mushrooms. Horrible. The coffee was terrible too. But probably the worst thing was the bad smells; the landing outside our room smelled like stale cooking oil, the breakfast room had a musty smell, our bathroom had an odd (not nice) smell which I can’t even identify and when we opened the window a funny diesel-like smell came in.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
7  Thank SetaJane
Reviewed 17 July 2009

I could not beleieve how shabby the hotel was, there were stale smells as well. As for the decor, 'horrid, and dated needs a good clean and lick of paint. Owners friendly enough, but can see why there are few guests! The stairs are a death trap there is no doubt. They were the only hotel available, I can see why? The decor was drab, depressing and pattern out of sync. Not too sure about the lumpy beds either? I have seen better furniture out of a skip! The food was nice, but pricey for the amount you got. I would be worried if there were small children staying at the hotel because of the busy road and nearby railway.

Unless your desperate and there is nowhere else to stay I would not give this one the thumbs up.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank use1
Reviewed 17 May 2009

I would have to concur with the other review. This place is rather run-down and shabby.

The stale oil smell the other reviewer referred to . . . well the friend I was traveling with called it more like "the smell of an old seaman."

We ended up staying at The Queen Hotel because it was the only thing left in Harlech (it was a Bank Holiday weekend). The location between the train tracks and road did not bothered us - it was still quiet. And it is walking distance to the beach and castle.

The room was the minimal of what we would put up with, very basic, and the common bathroom left much to be desired. I can understand how someone could walk out after seeing it, but I suppose it does serve a purpose for those traveling on a budget.

Would I recommend it, not if there was another option - but if one had too, its not the worse I have seen.

Our two complaints we had is my friend was under the impression when he made the reservation that the price quoted was for the ROOM. When we arrive, they charged that quoted price PER PERSON. My friend might have misunderstood so my advise is to make sure the rate is Very clear before one books a room there.

The other small complaint was the breakfast. We asked if we could have breakfast 20 min early so we could catch the first train out. They reluctantly accommodated us, but they did not seem to happy about it. The breakfast was very basic - toast, eggs, bacon, juice, canned tomatoes.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank rmsrmsrms
Reviewed 25 April 2009

Do not be taken in by flattering website pictures for the Queen's Hotel in Harlech. It is in fact located between a railway line and a main road. Neither of these are very busy, but nonetheless it's not exactly 'picturesque'. The family room we were shown had no double glazing, a broken window and a view over the industrial estate. I didn't stay long enough to test the shower, but the T.V. only produced two snowy channels. After just a few minutes on the less-than-clean premises our clothes were impregnated with the all-pervading smell of frying. Or should I say, the small of stale oil... foul. The proprietors were friendly to begin with but really need to do something about the non-existent hygiene standards on their premises.
I was thoroughly disappointed when we arrived and couldn't face staying in this shabby and sordid atmosphere so we left. I gave the proprietor 10% of what our stay should have cost, explaining sheepishly that the location wasn't what I'd expected and refraining from telling him to his face that his hotel was in my mind a filthy death-trap. Notwithstadning the 10% 'escape money' I handed over, the owner thought proper to debit my account for one night's stay as I had already given my credit card details when reserving. ( I can't imagine he'd turned down many potential guests...) Friendly? No longer.
This is the first time I have been so deceived by a website, but as I found out from other professionals locally, the Queen's Hotel doesn't belong to any trade associations and so cannot be called to account by anyone. I wonder even if they really wish to function as a place for paying guests, so far is their establishment from resembling what I would call a hotel.
My advice to the traveller: don't go there! My advice to the Queen's Hotel: clean up and renovate.
I would point out that is the first time I have ever packed up and left accommodation reserved in advance and it is also the first time I have felt strongly enough to write a review/warning.

16  Thank europeantraveller75