“Fantastic Weekend Break to Climb Snowden”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harlech
Castle Cottage Restaurant with Rooms
Ranked #4 of 15 Harlech B&B and Inns
hereford
“Fantastic Weekend Break to Climb Snowden”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

Fantastic hotel with lovely rooms.

Beautiful food - the best I have eaten for a long time.

Very welcoming and accomodating.

All my party of eight were impressed - can't wait to visit again.

Room Tip: All the rooms are fab
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
owainHarlech, Owner at Castle Cottage Restaurant with Rooms, responded to this review, 17 May 2012
Hi jane c
Wow - thank you for the fantastic review of castle cottage, we are glad that you and your party enjoyed the food and hospitality. Hope to see you all again soon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Chester, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the restaurant ahead of the 2012 Harlech Triathlon, it was my sole purpose for travelling. It was not my first choice as £150 for room only is quite expensive but everywhere else was booked. The Gentleman that answered the phone (I presume the owner) could not have been nicer, a lovely chap who was helpful and offered to help with dietary requests and opening the restaurant early for breakfast on the day of the event.

First of all the location is great. No more than 200 meters from the castle and with views of it. The rooms are well appointed and recently refurbished with care. I will say however that I have stayed in accommodation that is similarly appointed for less in some cities where property and amenities are better.

We ate in the restaurant that night where the lady that dealt with us was far less friendly. I think she was the owners wife or manageress but from that point on we felt as if we were not welcome. Even though we had pre-agreed the food it seemed to cause confusion and disappointment that we weren't choosing from the 3 course a la carte menu.

We had one course from the menu and left, coming back in for breakfast at 7:00am for porridge. Again the lady gave the distinct impression that we were disappointing her by wearing a tracksuit and ordering such a simple breakfast.

My race started at 9:30 and was going to take about 1hr 30mins so we'd be done by just after 11:00am. I asked the lady if I could use the room to shower after but she said no and I needed to clear my stuff out. There was no attempt to help us or apologise and I felt as if she wanted our money then to go Then I settled the bill which was £220 for one night with a one course dinner and porridge for breakfast.

Overall it was a very expensive night in a great location but it was definitely not a £220 night. It's a shame as it could be a great place to stay.

• Stayed April 2012
7 Thank AndrewS1969
owainHarlech, Owner at Castle Cottage Restaurant with Rooms, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Dear AndrewS 1969
We are pleased that you thought the rooms were lovely, great food & location - but very expensive! I think not!

We were fully booked all weekend and you managed to book our last room @ £150 ( we have rooms @£130 and @£175 and they were all let) The price is not room only (as you have stated) It includes breakfast for two (freshly squeezed orange juice or apple, and grapefruit juice, various cereals, weetabix, muesli, stewed prunes, compote of apricots, fresh fruits -strawberries/melon/pineapple, bananas, apples oranges, full cooked breakfast, smoked salmon/scrambled egg, smoked haddock, kippers, BLT, porridge with brown sugar and double cream, continental, toast etc etc etc)

We also have Superking beds, flat screen TV, DAB radio, ipod docks, underfloor heating, tea/coffee, bottled welsh water, fruit basket, slippers all in a 5 star grade 2 listed building. On top of that we have no charge for parking on our land and free high speed WiFi
The £150 charge also includes VAT@ 20% - we are not a city centre plastic budget hotel - you just have to look at our website to see the pictures and the prices as they are all clearly displayed, so you knew what you were booking

When you phoned to make the booking you asked if you could have grilled fish with lots of pasta & fresh veg for yourself and that you wife would go for the three courses. On the night you both had ( not just the one course as you have stated in your review) Canapés in the bar ( Quails scotch eggs, beef satay, olives, smoked salmon mousse,) followed by an appetiser of asparagus & pea cream soup with Gruyere cheese crouton, our own freshly baked bread with welsh organic butter. No starters for either of you, large sole fillet with grilled new season asparagus, a mound of squid ink pasta, extra veg of fine beans & sugar snap peas, white wine and basil cream sauce. Rack of new season spring lamb, with potatoes & veg, red wine & shallot jus for main course. No pudding just coffee & petit fours instead.

As for breakfast I agreed to do this at 7am - your race wasn’t starting until 9.30 (My wife & I had to get up @ 6.15 on a Sunday morning having got to bed at 1am!) That you just had porridge and toast is your choice - all the breakfast described above is on offer. We do not have a dress code at castle cottage - we are very informal so where you got the idea about your tracksuit I don't know. You are obviously not a happy bunny in the mornings!!!

Concerning your request (at the last minute at breakfast time - not in advance when you made the booking - I presume you knew your start time by then) for you to return after the race, it was not possible, as we ask guests to check out by 10.30am ( my wife offered a time of 11am - which you refused) as all our rooms were going that day and we have to service and clean the rooms for that days new arrivals - a room can take 45 mins to clean properly - (especially when they are left like a whirlwind has gone off in the room) and as we have seven rooms and bathrooms to do and get ready, as guests can check in from 2pm - you do the math’s!!

I phoned you on the day this review was posted on Tripadvisor and asked why you said it was £150 for room only and that you had only one course & porridge for breakfast and your response was to say "I knew you would ring to have a go - I’ve seen your other responses" and I know you have said what you did on my site to provoke a response from me - what did you expect. I don't mind honest criticisms, but not one that doesn't tell the full story (I checked out your profile and your only other review was to have a go at another hotel in north Wales over clothing you left behind!!)

I dont know if £150 was enough of a charge for B&B when I have to put up with complainers like you!
Belper, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

First time we've stayed in Harlech and we chose well. Nice clean room, wonderful shower and bathroom, comfy bed. Plenty tea/coffee/chocolate and yummy biscuits. Breakfast was superb and the owners very friendly, with a great sense of humour. We opted to eat at the restaurant on the night we arrived. The food was wonderful and although it was advertised as three courses, it was really five! (Those beetroot scotch eggs are out of this world) We ate far too much but loosened our belts and bravely coped.
On the day of our departure we fiercely battled heavy winds and snow, leaving Harlech, but had to turn back. Weather conditions were treacherous. Luckily our room was available for one more night so we stayed on and were pleasantly surprised next morning, when paying the bill to see that we had been given a reduced rate.
If we return to that part of Wales then we will definately stay here again. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
owainHarlech, Owner at Castle Cottage Restaurant with Rooms, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Hi MacMary
Thank you for your review, we are very happy that you choose to stay with us in Harlech and that we met your expectations. Glad that you enjoyed our food (its our passion) and that you stepped up to the mark for our three course menu ( we throw in canapes and a chefs surprise to start you off). thank you coming back to us rather than battling through the bad weather hitting the UK that day. Looking forward to seeing both again soon
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

Once again our stay Castle Cottage was a treat and the upgrade we received was the icing on the cake. I love breakfast time and here your not let down with daylight shining into the dining area and a feast to choose from. I settled for EVERYTHING from fruit, honey, yogurt and cereal washed down with pure orange juice to the Welsh breakfast with laver bread. The evening meal is an absolute joy and its evident the TLC that goes into preparing it. Yes we have stayed here before and will do so again. The only reason why we might not visit the Castle Cottage Restaurant is that its high standards will have dropped. However they would have to drop significantly before we would choose to move our custom elsewhere. By the way the people who own and run this establishment are among the nicest you could meet in a days walk.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank agingtravelerIreland
owainHarlech, Owner at Castle Cottage Restaurant with Rooms, responded to this review, 21 April 2012
Hi agingtravellerireland,
It was good to see you both again, thank you for your kind comments re your stay with us. Its good to read that we are appreciated - we will do our utmost to keep our high standards.
Wrexham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

My wife and I booked a short stay just before Easter, pretty much a last minute impulse. We found the Castle Cottage to be as good as the web-site (Welsh Rarebits) suggested. We found the room to be well-appointed, quiet and clean, with a bed large enough for most people (I'm 6ft 3") and found it more than adequate. The bathroom was clean and fresh, the room spacious and the welcoming details like fresh fruit in the room struck just the right note.
We dined on both nights of our stay, the food was well prepared, very tasty and the service was friendly and helpful. In particular we both enjoyed the steak which was cooked in my case to the chef's recommendation rather than to my usual preference. It was very tender and was just right, I would probably have enjoyed it less had I insisted on my usual semi-incineration!

Room Tip: Harlech is a quite town, there was little traffic noise. It is possible to hear those on the rooms a...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Hi Gareth H
We are very pleased that you chose Castle Cottage for your Easter break and that we met your expectations. We take pride in our food and its is good to hear your comments on your dinner with us. hope to see you soon again soon.
Manchester UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012 via mobile

Stayed here over Easter break with family, room 3 was just lovely. Big comfy bed, big space, clean, fantastic bathroom for us all. Not slept that well for ages. The owners and all staff were absolutely lovely, couldn't have done anymore. Looked after my awkward eating habits! We ate in the restaurant on our last night and were very glad we did. Excellent food, good choice, my husband said it was the best starter he had ever had. The canapés in the bar set the scene and everything that followed was devine.
It proved to be a good central base for our break. The first day we spent on Harlech beach and then went over to Abersoch later on. The next day we ventured over to Llanberis and went up Snowdon. It's a great location for getting around, the views from our room were stunning. We could see the castle, the ocean and the mountains.
Loved it all and will be returning again soon. Thanks so much.

Stayed April 2012
2 Thank CKMarple
Hi CKMarple
We are really glad that you and your family enjoyed your weekend with us and that you enjoyed the food and wines. Your 'awkward' eating habits were no problem as you had the good sense to pre-warn us - thank you. It was good to read that you enjoyed the Harlech area - we are very lucky to live in a fantastic part of the world. Hope to see you all again soon.
Kent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

We are regular visitors to Castle Cottage, and when we needed to book a last-minute weekend break to get away from it all, where else to go but Castle Cottage! Most places are nearer to home (Castle Cottage is 300 miles away) but there was really no choice.

Harlech is a most wonderful place, with an amazing beach that is full of discovery. Castle Cottage offers great accommodation, and the restaurant is, in our opinion, among the best in the world we have experienced. Canapes in the bar with a gin and tonic make for the start of a perfect evening; this is one of my favourite moments that I look forward to time and time again. The menu is always fantastic. It is no surprise to us that Castle Cottage was a winner of one of the top 100 restaurants in the UK in the 2011 National Restaurant Awards, it's right up there with the best restaurants we have ever visited.

Thank you as always to Glyn and Jacqueline for Castle Cottage providing the perfect retreat that allows us to enjoy one of our most favourite places in the world.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travellingfrogs2016
Hi Travillingfrogs
Well, once again thank you for another brilliant review. I dont know if i am the worlds best chef (best looking maybe!!??!!) but we are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed dinner & drinks again. Looking forward to your next visit.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harlech
Y Branwen Hotel
Maelgwyn House Bed & Breakfast
Byrdir House
Byrdir House
#7 of 15 in Harlech

Been to Castle Cottage Restaurant with Rooms? Share your experiences!