Castle Cottage Restaurant with Rooms
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Y Branwen(Harlech)
SeaBanks B&B(Criccieth)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Beachfront
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsfront of housewine list islovely toiletriesmain buildingcomfortable place to stayseemed reluctanthighly recommend a visitfine foodper headsmoked haddockwonderful spotstone's throwlooking forward to our next visitmelt in the mouthchecking outplaying golfcooked to perfection
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 June 2012

We have stayed as a family party of 10 for our Golden Wedding Celebration on Jubilee Weekend. We were all in the annexe and it could not have been better, the rooms were lovely and everybody including the grandchildren aged 7and 13 were delighted. Jacqueline and Glyn were very accommodating regarding balloons, cake etc. The food was superb,my son and son-in-law, both of whom like good food were hard put to complete the menu on one night. The 'amuse bouche' were greatly appreciated by all. We all had a variety of dishes and each one demonstrated the care in both quality of the raw ingredients and the preparation and presentation. The breakfasts were of the same high standard. We were all sorry when our time came to leave. My husband and I would have no hesitation in recommending The Castle Cottage.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 23 June 2012

Hi Olwen W
Thank you for your lovely review. We are glad you and your family enjoyed your time with us at Castle Cottage. Your comments re our food are much appreciated, it was a pleasure to serve you all- particularly the well behaved children. Looking forward to you staying again soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2012

We recently stayed in Room 3 (Caernarfon) at Castle Cottage, it's a lovely quirky room with low beams, a super-size bathroom and a nice seating area separate from the bedroom. There was a lovely relaxed feeling to Castle Cottage, the breakfast was delicious, freshly cooked and promptly served, all in all we were very impressed, we did not eat our evening meal in the restaurant but will definitely return when we can and hopefully sample the menu then - watch this space!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
owainHarlech, Owner at Castle Cottage Restaurant with Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2012

Hi MrsC876
Wow , thank you for this heavenly review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay in our fantastic rooms. We buy and use as much local produce as is possible - local sausages, dry cured bacon, free range eggs, organic yogurt, freshly squeezed orange juice etc etc. The same quality is applied to our dinners in the evening, hope you will have time for dinner next time!

Reviewed 8 May 2012

Very welcoming, rooms lovely with a view of Harlech Castle. Food superb the best I have eaten for a long time.

owainHarlech, Owner at Castle Cottage Restaurant with Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2012

Hi Jane
We are very happy that you loved your stay with us and enjoyed our food. Looking forward to you next visit

Reviewed 8 May 2012

Fantastic hotel with lovely rooms.

Beautiful food - the best I have eaten for a long time.

Very welcoming and accomodating.

All my party of eight were impressed - can't wait to visit again.

Room Tip: All the rooms are fab
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends

Hi jane c
Wow - thank you for the fantastic review of castle cottage, we are glad that you and your party enjoyed the food and hospitality. Hope to see you all again soon

Reviewed 30 April 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the restaurant ahead of the 2012 Harlech Triathlon, it was my sole purpose for travelling. It was not my first choice as £150 for room only is quite expensive but everywhere else was booked. The Gentleman that answered the phone (I presume the owner) could not have been nicer, a lovely chap who was helpful and offered to help with dietary requests and opening the restaurant early for breakfast on the day of the event.

First of all the location is great. No more than 200 meters from the castle and with views of it. The rooms are well appointed and recently refurbished with care. I will say however that I have stayed in accommodation that is similarly appointed for less in some cities where property and amenities are better.

We ate in the restaurant that night where the lady that dealt with us was far less friendly. I think she was the owners wife or manageress but from that point on we felt as if we were not welcome. Even though we had pre-agreed the food it seemed to cause confusion and disappointment that we weren't choosing from the 3 course a la carte menu.

We had one course from the menu and left, coming back in for breakfast at 7:00am for porridge. Again the lady gave the distinct impression that we were disappointing her by wearing a tracksuit and ordering such a simple breakfast.

My race started at 9:30 and was going to take about 1hr 30mins so we'd be done by just after 11:00am. I asked the lady if I could use the room to shower after but she said no and I needed to clear my stuff out. There was no attempt to help us or apologise and I felt as if she wanted our money then to go Then I settled the bill which was £220 for one night with a one course dinner and porridge for breakfast.

Overall it was a very expensive night in a great location but it was definitely not a £220 night. It's a shame as it could be a great place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2012
8  Thank AndrewS1969
owainHarlech, Owner at Castle Cottage Restaurant with Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2012

Dear AndrewS 1969
We are pleased that you thought the rooms were lovely, great food & location - but very expensive! I think not!

We were fully booked all weekend and you managed to book our last room @ £150 ( we have rooms @£130 and @£175 and they were all let) The price is not room only (as you have stated) It includes breakfast for two (freshly squeezed orange juice or apple, and grapefruit juice, various cereals, weetabix, muesli, stewed prunes, compote of apricots, fresh fruits -strawberries/melon/pineapple, bananas, apples oranges, full cooked breakfast, smoked salmon/scrambled egg, smoked haddock, kippers, BLT, porridge with brown sugar and double cream, continental, toast etc etc etc)

We also have Superking beds, flat screen TV, DAB radio, ipod docks, underfloor heating, tea/coffee, bottled welsh water, fruit basket, slippers all in a 5 star grade 2 listed building. On top of that we have no charge for parking on our land and free high speed WiFi
The £150 charge also includes VAT@ 20% - we are not a city centre plastic budget hotel - you just have to look at our website to see the pictures and the prices as they are all clearly displayed, so you knew what you were booking

When you phoned to make the booking you asked if you could have grilled fish with lots of pasta & fresh veg for yourself and that you wife would go for the three courses. On the night you both had ( not just the one course as you have stated in your review) Canapés in the bar ( Quails scotch eggs, beef satay, olives, smoked salmon mousse,) followed by an appetiser of asparagus & pea cream soup with Gruyere cheese crouton, our own freshly baked bread with welsh organic butter. No starters for either of you, large sole fillet with grilled new season asparagus, a mound of squid ink pasta, extra veg of fine beans & sugar snap peas, white wine and basil cream sauce. Rack of new season spring lamb, with potatoes & veg, red wine & shallot jus for main course. No pudding just coffee & petit fours instead.

As for breakfast I agreed to do this at 7am - your race wasn’t starting until 9.30 (My wife & I had to get up @ 6.15 on a Sunday morning having got to bed at 1am!) That you just had porridge and toast is your choice - all the breakfast described above is on offer. We do not have a dress code at castle cottage - we are very informal so where you got the idea about your tracksuit I don't know. You are obviously not a happy bunny in the mornings!!!

Concerning your request (at the last minute at breakfast time - not in advance when you made the booking - I presume you knew your start time by then) for you to return after the race, it was not possible, as we ask guests to check out by 10.30am ( my wife offered a time of 11am - which you refused) as all our rooms were going that day and we have to service and clean the rooms for that days new arrivals - a room can take 45 mins to clean properly - (especially when they are left like a whirlwind has gone off in the room) and as we have seven rooms and bathrooms to do and get ready, as guests can check in from 2pm - you do the math’s!!

I phoned you on the day this review was posted on Tripadvisor and asked why you said it was £150 for room only and that you had only one course & porridge for breakfast and your response was to say "I knew you would ring to have a go - I’ve seen your other responses" and I know you have said what you did on my site to provoke a response from me - what did you expect. I don't mind honest criticisms, but not one that doesn't tell the full story (I checked out your profile and your only other review was to have a go at another hotel in north Wales over clothing you left behind!!)

I dont know if £150 was enough of a charge for B&B when I have to put up with complainers like you!