“Ideal stop off for travelling to Snowdonia plus great food”
Review of The Bison Grill

The Bison Grill
Ranked #6 of 29 Restaurants in Corwen
Price range: US$7 - US$27
Cuisines: Contemporary, Welsh
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Bison Grill Bistro produces all its meals from scratch using Rhug Organic's own award winning meat and was recently named the "Best on Farm Restaurant" in the UK by the FARMA organisation. The restaurant is headed up by talented head Chef Elliot Knox who insists on using only the best ingredients to produce truly memorable food. The Rhug Bison Grill has for the last 2 years, been included in the Michelin Guide.
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Needed to stop somewhere for lunch en route to Llanberis from Shrewsbury, remembered this place from a previous stop after a walk around Llyn Brenig (though we had the take away that time).

We were promptly shown to a table and both decided to order a sandwich. Despite being told there would be a delay of around 30 minutes our food arrived much sooner. Honestly one of the nicest lunches I've had recently.

I had the organic smoked salmon sandwich and it was melt in the mouth. Absolutely top notch salmon. Plus it came with a very nice red cabbage coleslaw and a mound of vegetable crisps. We also had a portion of triple cooked chips to share which were delish. Considering the amount and quality of food I thought at £8 this was a fair price.

Will definitely remember this place as an excellent stop when heading west.

Rhug E, General Manager at The Bison Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

I'm glad you enjoyed your recent meal at the Bison Grill. Thank you very much for your kind words, I will pass these on to the team who will be thrilled to hear them.
We look forward to seeing you again next time you visit!

There are newer reviews for The Bison Grill

Reviewed 28 April 2014

I have stopped off at this take away for many years and I have seen it develop from a small hut to quite a large enterprise.
Stopped off last Saturday with a group of cyclists and was rather disappointed with both the food and the service. The bison burger was nothing special, small, no relish and not particularly tasty. The service was worse. One of my cycle buddies is a vegetarian so just asked for chips. 'Cant do that' was the reply. Chips are only available as part of a burger meal. Not a lot of use to a vegetarian as he doesn't like veggy burgers (the only alternative). No alternatives or flexibility and we weren't even the only people in the queue in the same situation.
Overall poor burger, pricy and unhelpful. Drive on to betwys ey coed.

1  Thank Andrew M

I am very sorry to hear you were disappointed on your recent visit to the Rhug Estate Take Away. I am particularly disappointed that you did not enjoy the bison burger and found it to be small. The burger is a standard 1/4 lb burger and is one of our most popular products, there is a choice of 7 condiments and relishes for the burger from the ever popular Heinz tomato ketchup to my personal favourite, the chilli relish.
Despite being a meat producing farm, we do always try to ensure a good choice for the vegetarians amongst our customers. There are a range of vegetarian options available apart from the veggie burger such as; baked potato with a choice of toppings, a range of toasties, a range of sandwiches including local free range egg, welsh cheese etc, potted salads.
We do not offer a portion of fries as an option as we do not have the capacity to do this, the only time we have fries available is as a side on our meal deal.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

I've passed this place many a time and really fancied trying a Bison burger.At £6.95 you can get a meal deal, a burger, fries and coffee. To make the most of the experience we asked for cheese and onion on the burgers. Now, in my head I imagined a juicy big burger from a larger than life animal, and at this price garnished with a bit of salad, but what we got was very disappointing, the burger was mediocre about 5mm thick, the cheese was not melted and the onions were stewed and tasteless, no garnish. The fries were also tasteless, dry and inedible. The whole presentation was poor, We feel like we had completely wasted our money and time stopping here.

3  Thank tinworm h
Rhug E, General Manager at The Bison Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

I'm sorry you did not have an enjoyable meal at the Rhug Estate take away. All our organic burgers are 1/4 lb in weight as this has proven to be the most successful in terms of customer enjoyment and also cooking time. We also offer the choice of a garnished burger (lettuce, tomato, fresh onions) or a traditional burger served with cheese and grilled onions. These are all outlined on the menu. I'm sorry you did not think the £6.95 for the organic bison burger, French fries and freshly ground coffee offered you value for money. If you have any issues with your meal, you can always bring them to the attention of a member of our staff at the time who will do all they can to ensure all our customers leave here happy.

Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Just came along early afternoon and didn't know the place. We ordered rib eye and bison burgers. Were both really good and tasty! People are nice, the atmosphere a mix of motorway restaurant and farming cafe.

Right in this moment I get my espresso... don't order it... it is brown water.

But ok, I stay with 4 stars, the cookie with the ex was very good :-)

I am very glad to hear you have recently discovered us and enjoyed your food and experience, many thanks for your kind words which will be passed on to the staff.

I am very sorry you were let down by the coffee. I can assure you this is not up to our usual standard. Once the problem of the coffee was brought to our attention, we instantly had the coffee machine engineers called out to rectify the issues. We take our coffee very seriously at Rhug and have developed our own blend of fair trade coffee and compliment this with regular barista training for our staff by an external expert. I hope next time you visit you will find a much improved coffee.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Like so many I knew of the A5 Cafe for many years, a quick and easy feed stop on a long journey home. Having seen the large queue for "take-away" I decided to try the new restaurant. The staff were friendly enough although a "Table for One" seemd to cause some initial bemusement.

Eventually my order was taken, Bison Burger and Triple Cooked Chips with "Salad" and Onion Chutney, my expectations were high. My food eventually arrived almost 30 minutes later, I assume the "thrice cooked" chips being the cause.

Unfortunately, although the burger was nice, the bun was a simple cheapie sized effort barley big enough to hold the burger, the lettuce salad limited to a tiny lump of lettuce and the few chips were served in what was effectively a bean tin, all placed on a scruffy wooden chopping board. Burger and chips regardless of the quality is not supposed to "Master Chef".

Personally I don't want creativity with burger and chips, I want good quality and a hearty portion for the price being charged. This type of food should be very easy and quick to serve, mucking about pretending it is something it is not else is just silly.

Unfortunately sixteen pounds for a coffee and a burger will not see me returning. When I enquired about the price the staff really didn't have any response other than "it's because you ordered the bison burger".

1  Thank Chiana
Rhug E, General Manager at The Bison Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

I am very sorry you did not have an enjoyable experience on your recent visit to the bison grill bistro at the Rhug Estate Farm Shop.
Our bison burgers are hand pressed, all served in a freshly baked brioche and are presented to a high quality which has enabled us to appear in the Michelin guide for the first time this year. We offer an organic burger and fries on the take away which is served in a freshly baked bread roll at a cheaper price, however in the bistro more is expected and therefore delivered.
All of our food in the Bison Grill Bistro is freshly prepared from scratch and cooked to order by our team of talented chefs using the finest organic meat produced on our farm. The 'creativity' and finesse is what has allowed us to have a full restaurant every day for the last 2 weeks with 98% of customers rating their experience as excellent.
I am sorry you found the price to be too high, all our prices are outlined on a menu board outside the entrance and also on the menus given to each customer to order from. The bison burger, served with triple cooked chips, salad and homemade relish, is one of our most popular products priced at £13.50 and this is the first complaint we have received about it in 2 years.