I do not know why this hotel gets rave reviews. Bearing in mind it is rated by the AA as 4 stars, our bedroom had mismatched cheap furniture, only 1 bedside table for a double bed, only 1 chair to sit on and that was hard, divan bases which were tatty, no pillow protectors on the stained pillows , the windows would not shut properly, the shower over the bath was a trickle with hardly any pressure, the television would not switch off by the controller, odd colour scheme and a tired carpet. The lights on the wall over the bed were not in line with where the bed was situated and there was a valve cover missing on the radiator in the bathroom. Dust on switch covers and no bottled water as stated in the guest accommodation booklet.
The evening meal was spoiled by the long black hair in the salmon starter. Uninspired vegetable selection: savoy cabbage shredded sprouts and big chunks of carrots. Breakfast had minimal choice of cereals, half jug of milk for 8 persons , no fresh fruit, concentrated orange juice and not enough bowls. The dining room itself is dismal, very dark stone walls and drab in colour , and there's a pervading smell of smoke from the bar fireplace whilst eating your meal.
On checking out we told the receptionist about the hair in the starter and the shower problem. Although a little shocked, she noted the shower problem on her list of jobs to be done. The hair in the starter was not as important. The 1 night stay with the meal had cost £149. The hotel is tired. Perhaps we just got the wrong room, the wrong meal , the wrong hotel.
If this is assessed to be 4 star by the AA , it calls into question the integrity of the AA rating system . Our stay was definitely not 4 star.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hand is an ancient hostelry with all the attributes you'd expect - bags of character, a cosy, relaxing ambience and a warm welcome from your hosts, Jonathan and Jackie Greatorex. As soon as you arrive you feel the weight of the world dissolving as the surroundings work their magic. All the classic ingredients are here - old beams, roaring fireplaces, a casual mix-and-match of pine and oak furniture, real ale and good food. The latter is seriously good. Thanks to the talents of Head Chef Grant Mulholland and his team, The Hand is renowned for award-winning food, an inventive marriage of country fare and sophisticated metropolitan cuisine. The bedrooms, in a variety of sizes, reflect similar influences, with rustic decor and sparkling modern bathrooms. Country lovers just love the location. You can walk in the Berwyns for hours with only the sheep for company and the ever-helpful Hand can arrange many country pursuits, including horse riding, fishing and shooting. You may be away from it all, but you'll also be in the swing of things; this gem of a country inn is so much a part of village life that locals and visitors mix in unaffected harmony. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LateRooms, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Book Direct Rooms, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your The Hand at Llanarmon reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Hand At Llanarmon Hotel Llanarmon Dc
- Hand At Llanarmon Dc
- The Hand At Llanarmon Llanarmon DC, Wales