“Fantastic holiday! ”

Presthaven Holiday Park
Stoke On Trent
“Fantastic holiday! ”
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed Monday 12th May to Friday with my partner and our 6 month old son. We didn't pay an awful lot for this holiday and went with an open mind as to what to expect, but we were pleasantly surprised upon arrival. Yes check in was busy, you'd expect it to be that's par for the course but it was dealt with efficiently and was no mither. Caravan was clean and had everything in it you'd expect it too.

Entertainment we only went to on our first night and with our child being so young wasn't really for us but again this is what you expect a holiday park to be like. We went to the swimming pool and our little boy had his first ever splash about in a big pool , again well staffed and clean. Shop on site was as expensive as every other spar you go into, no more no less. Having read other reviews saying it is so expensive I think it's as expensive as you make it! In our experience it was a fantastic break and unbelievable value for money. I appreciate we don't have to factor in school holidays yet . We enjoyed it so much we're already looking at booking again for next year.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
PresthavenS, Front Office Manager at Presthaven Holiday Park, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Hi Mart,
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your holiday feedback. It’s fantastic to hear that you had such a fantastic family holiday. Check in on a Monday can be very busy as most people arrive at the same time, but we try to get you all checked in as early and as quickly as possible so it’s good to know that its noticed. How lovely that your little one had his first swim here! The fun pool is brilliant, and I will pass on your comments about the cleanliness which the pool team with be thrilled with. If you do decide to come back next year give us a call at park as we can get you an extra discount,
Cara

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Well my initial looking into booking a holiday at Presthaven, it didn't get off to a great start. I found a deluxe caravan for 4 nights for £138. Reasonable enough. So I went away to confirm I could get those exact days off work. I returned to the website about 8 hours to find the price had increased to £189! Upon phoning haven I was told the price had increased because it was the last remaining slot available. I'm not sure how that's a justification for a £50 odd price increase tho.

However, getting nowhere at all with my request to get the original booking price, we decided to go for the top end platinum caravan instead which was only 50p more expensive than the revised deluxe price.

Tbh, I'm glad we did. Despite till being miffed at losing out on the original price the higher edition caravan was well worth the
price. We stayed in the Conwy section of the park, which was far enough away from the main park and cluttered caravan areas to be peaceful, but not too far as to make walking back in the evening unpleasant.

The caravan itself was spotlessly clean, well equipped, and a pleasant surprise was a full size fridge freezer which meant we could cook ourselves to save spending on eating out every night.

The caravans fixtures were all in perfect working order, toilets and showers were all perfectly clean, and toilets were even sealed with a notice to certify they had been sanitised.

The tv could have been bigger as the unit it was in was clearly designed for a larger tv, but I you're off on activities then it probably won't make a difference. The built in DVD player was a handy perk since I'd forgotten to pack the spare Blu ray player. Oops.

Onto the facilities of the park.

All in all, it is clearly, even blatantly obvious that the park is set up to separate you from the contents of your wallet. There are rows upon rows of amusement and gaming machines, all with intense flashing lights and volumes set just that little bit too loud for comfort. However if you have the ability to refrain from wasting your money then they don't present too much of a
problem.

Disappointingly the pass you are given does not in fact grant you use of all the facilities. A fact which is unsurprisingly somewhat absent from the "access to all the facilities" way that is presented upon booking.

The go carts, adventure playground and so on all charge £4.50-£5 extra which tbh is too much for the size of the track anyway . Surprisingly, the adventure play ground was shut the while time we were there, which was odd being that the weather was amazing all week.

The prices on other reviews here seem to be a bone of contention, however the Burger King and mash and bucket (or whatever the place is called) prices didn't seem to be overly excessive to me, pretty much in line with city centre prices for equivalent food elsewhere. The food was very good, well presented and not as bad as some reviews on here seem to make out, I was pleasantly surprised in fact.

The kids shows seemed to entertain our three year old very well as did the donkey rides which she loved. However it was painfully clear that the entertainers need more support and time and facilities for rehearsals. The staff on the laptop by the stage generally made mistakes in timing and audio however these errors were only noticed by adults as the kids were generally being entertained and weren't to know how generally awful it was. Credit to the staff who were performing the shows however, as clearly they were doing their best with what they have been given.

The security staff gave me serious cause for concern, having worked the doors for 13 years and trained manchester door staff for the last 6, it seemed apparent to me that the door staff have been hired for their imposing presence rather than their abilities to be genial hosts to holidaying families. They tended to radiate an unapproachable aura, made more worrying than their amusing tales between each other of various violent altercations they had even involved with.

I came extremely close to pulling my crown court warrant officers warrant card in the face of one of the security at one point as for the third time in an evening going to the gents I had the same member of security shadowing me and blatantly not using the facilities himself. I can only assume the leather biker vest I was wearing rubbed them up the wrong way............

All in all, a worthwhile trip, very good accommodation, staff doing they're best to present a good impression but clearly need more investment and support from upstairs.

I wonder if the park is more used to rowdy hen and stag dos nights rather than actual families, this would explain a lot.

The extra cost of some facilities should be included in the pass as the extra charges for some external facilities is excessive.

All in all, 4 out of 5 for me, an enjoyable week away, but with a little tweaking could be so much better.

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank Dog8873
Hi There,
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review. It sounds like the original price you found may have been from a flash sale which we often have online so I do apologise about the confusion surrounding this. It’s great to hear that you were so happy with your accommodation, Conwy is an ideal area and you have described it perfectly. The DVD player is a brilliant addition to the Platinum caravans, especially if our Welsh weather takes a turn. I can see how the bright lights of the arcades could work out expensive, but as you say easily avoidable...either that or change £1 into 2ps to stretch it :-) I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your food whilst on site, there’s so much to choose from and the kitchen teams do a brilliant job. The Funstars do get rehearsal times, they have so many people to keep entertained and they do it brilliantly, like you say the kids absolutely love it. I’m sorry about the impression you took of our security team, I can assure you they are lovely people and trained to high standards, with it being a holiday park we do try to keep a relaxed atmosphere, and with the volumes of people we have in the complex they do keep on high alert. I’m sure they weren’t aiming to single you out but I am sorry that you felt this way.
I’m glad to know the things you have mentioned didn’t affect how much you enjoyed your holiday, and I hope you will come back to holiday with us again,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Just returned after a week break at first the complex looked nice upon check in spoke to a lovely polite young lady called Abi on reception she was extremely helpful and explained all about the complex was booked into a caravan with a view basic but good enough to stay in.

This resort need a bit of modernisation pool is a bit small and can get overcrowded but facilities are decent enough,

Resturant was extremely busy and standard of food was except able but rather overpriced for quite a run down establishment bar prices also over priced in comparison to location.

Overall the staff are pleasant found lacking in some places especially in the resturant where we had to wait for a table to be cleaned and was suprised that Abi was working there as well and cleared our table immediately with a smile and was rushing around wasted in such an establishment. Staff looked tired at times but noticed manager looked more refreshed something wrong there maybe something senior management needs to look at investing time and money to make the place run a bit better. Bobby D

Hi Bobby D,
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review of your stay here. You are right about Abi she is brilliant, and she will love to hear that she made a lasting impression on you. I’m glad to hear that you did enjoy your food in the restaurant, we do try to keep our bar prices competitive so I’m sorry that you found them high. Again, its fantastic to hear that Abi got you sorted with a table so quickly, our management team to offer lots of support, they do work shifts so maybe you caught one just as they’d started. I hope you will choose to come back with us for another stay,
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from a four night stay in this holiday camp. Ignore all the negative reviews and make your own mind up. We had a fantastic break
The weather was fantastic, the activities were all grand, the caravan was great - although we did have a few issues using the fire and the grill - only due to the fact we aren't used to gas appliances and we are both a bit thick :-)

Maybes the only let down was the lazy river not being open, however I don't think anyone could have predicted the temperatures we've had this week but nothing major to complain about

All in all a very happy first time family holiday, we probably wouldn't return to the camp (as we like to try different places) but would definitely use haven again!

Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Lavalamp08
Hi There,
Thank you for taking the time to leave your lovely review of Presthaven Sands. I think you’re right that everyone should try us for themselves, everyone has different preferences and there is so much fun to be had here! We were really lucky that week with the weather, if only we could trust the weather man we could have the outdoor pools open when the sun is shining. I hope you do decide to come back for another holiday with us, especially to have a go in the lazy river- its brilliant fun,
Kind Regards
Sandbach, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Just spent a week here 9-16th may and what a disapointment,the site seems not to be fully running with all the activaties,,So lets start with the good points----The complex is very clean,staff are very pleasant and helpfull,food on the site is very good with a fully kitted out restraunt,burger king :-( if you like that sort of thing,pizza bar take away or they'll del it to you,swimming pool was very cleanand well staffed,

Bad things,the site seems to be open but not fully functioning this may be due to childrens still at school,however there were lots of children there that had difficult learning abillaties like us but we found it not so good for the children that were there,like crazy golf it was closed the hole week as there doing a referb to it,this should have been done before start of season,so no golf,then rope wire walk in the hole of the week i found it open once and that was it,archery couldn't find it open at all as it was full of hire bikes,trampoline was open but only for a hour,hire bikes/karts were available all day every day but cost on an hourly charge but price was good,

Result:
Found it very plesent but would hope its better kids when kids are off school and think it would be better if Haven would make it clear the the site isn't fully running,,,and last but not least a point on safty we hired peddal karts on site for me and my 9year old at times we had to ride on the parks road were most people who stay on the park drove at 10mph which is great that is untill you get the deliverie vans up and down and as a professional driver in my daytime job i noticed greencore van's were driving very very fast infact the 1 which really got me was he was driving that fast he was on the dreaks very hard at the speed bumps and off he went speeding after he'd cleared the bumps,and then we nearly got hit by a TAXI on our last day because he shot around a bend and my 9year old panicked and pulled out,companys that have to drive on site should be forced to stick to the speed limit or just ban them if they keep dreaking the speed limit......great clean place,great staff,great food,but it's let down by not a lot to do on site and stupid drivers,,,,would i come back? sorry no,1st impressions say it all wouldn't take a 2nd chance,next time i'd try pontins

Room Tip: As i've always stayed in hotels this was a bit of a shock to me but I'm not going to let it...
2 Thank Peter F
Hi Peter,
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review. I’m glad there were so many good aspects to your holiday that you enjoyed. It’s good to hear that you found the complex so clean and our team to be pleasant. We are lucky to have so many food options on site, and they are all brilliant. The pool is fantastic, so much fun to be had in there and the team do a great job of keeping it clean. I’m really sorry to hear that you weren’t able to take part in all of the activities that you wanted to, I can assure you that these facilities were open- some things we open when people do want to go on them, and I have spoken to the Sports & Leisure Manager about making this more obvious. I was really concerned to read about the experiences that you mentioned whilst on the bikes, we take the speed limit very seriously and I have spoken to the company in question about their driving on park. I hope we can change your mind and you do decide to holiday with Haven again,
Kind Regards,
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We booked a four night mid-week stay in May through the sun holidays offer, and chose to upgrade our caravan - this was our first stay in Prestatyn, and at a Haven site...

We arrived on the Monday at around midday, and were delighted to find that our caravan was already ready for us, so were given the keys four hours before check in time. Can't fault the superior caravan - it was well worth the upgrade, with 3 bedrooms, heating throughout, and a comfy living area. Also wanted to praise the team on their swift removal of a bed so we could fit our travel cot in!

We are at the mash and barrel for lunch - not gourmet, but classic wetherspoons-type offerings which we couldn't really fault, and once ordered a papa john's pizza, which wasn't amazing, but not bad value considering the price of our local dominos!! We took supplies for plently of self catering, which the Caravan was great for...

The site was generally spotless, and was well staffed in all areas - the girls on reception were really friendly. We visited the pool (it wasn't busy at all), play area, arcade and the first hour of kid's entertainment a couple of times... (our nearly two year old was ready for bed by 7pm!) it wasn't particularly our cup of tea, but it seemed to go down well with many other families. I imagine it would be great if your kids were 4-10 years old.

I think the main thing I wanted to stress is that we were expecting the worst (sorry Haven - it's a reputation you're certainly improving on!), and were pleasantly suprised with what we found.

We didn't stay on the site all day, and if that's your intention, then I imagine you would become a little tired with the facilities/entertainment, but if you use it as a base for your holiday, I don't think you could find a better value option as a family.

We probably wouldn't go back, purely because we've 'done' north wales now, but we'd definitely use a Haven site in the future, given our very positive experience.

Room Tip: We were located in 'Denbigh' - close enough to the facilities, but far enough for peace and...
1 Thank Lizzie O
PresthavenS, Front Office Manager at Presthaven Holiday Park, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Hi Lizzie,
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback from your holiday at Presthaven Sands. It’s absolutely brilliant that you were so pleasantly surprised! It can be a bit daunting reading other reviews, but it is definitely worth trying for yourself, which worked out for the best in your case. We do try to have your accommodation ready as soon as possible for you; we are as keen as you are for your holiday to start right away :-) The superior caravans are well worth the upgrade, they are newer caravans so absolutely lovely. I’m glad you got to sample to food onsite, I’m sorry that you didn’t feel your Papa John’s wasn’t so good, they are normally amazing, such a guilty pleasure of mine. Thank you for commenting on the cleanliness of the park, and also our team here. When you have younger kids there is enough to keep them going all day, then fall asleep just in time for the grownups to get a nice peaceful evening! I’m glad we have won you over, and although I’m sad to hear you won’t come back here, we have Haven parks all the way around the UK Coast so I’m sure you will have many happy Haven Holidays to come!
Kind Regards,
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

We hired 3.. 8 berth caravans for our Grandaughter 3rd Birthday
We couldn't eat in our caravan because heavy smokers must of used it previously .
The facilities were not adequate enough ...The Pool you had to wait ages to get in ...then you were like sardines ...The Mash n Barrell last food orders were at 9pm ...but you had to queue for ages to order... food was okay
Gates were locked and had to walk right round complex in the rain at night
The live lounge was already packed and no seating available by 7 o clock on the Saturday eve ...so nothing really to do than spend more money on arcades ...not enough facilities to accommodate such a large site especially when weather is poor ... If this applies in May when in school time can't image what it is like in School Holidays !!! Can only imagine it to be a waste of money

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank 804LESLEYANN
Hi Lesley Ann,
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review. I’m really sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy your stay with us. All of our caravans are non-smoking and we do ask that all of our guests respect this; unfortunately it can be hard to control. We only have a queuing system in place for the pool when it is very busy, and this is only to ensure maximum safety at all times, but I apologise that this inconvenienced you. I’m sorry that you also had to queue for food in the Mash & Barrel, I’m glad to know you enjoyed your food. We do close the gates at night to make sure that everyone entering has a pass as our facilities are exclusive to our guests. We would love to have bigger facilities, and this is definitely something we are looking at in the future. Thank you again for your feedback, and I do hope that you will choose to holiday with Haven again,
Cara

Travellers are raving about these Prestatyn hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Prestatyn
The Beaches Hotel
The Kinmel
#1 of 1 in Abergele
Talacre Beach Caravan Park
Tan Rallt Luxury Holiday Park

Been to Presthaven Holiday Park? Share your experiences!