All reviews the offa's dyke path tea and coffee making facilities fresh and dried fruit special facilities garden room lovely conservatory wet room high street small fridge have stayed here several times friendly hosts train station full welsh breakfast off road parking wonderful hospitality lovely home selection of cereals
Reviewed 26 October 2018

This lovely and convenient B&B is right on the Offa's Dyke Path, amazing! The owner had forgotten about our reservation and was out of town, which we luckily learned the day before when inquiring about early check-in, so the walking company (Absolute Escapes) got involved, arrangements were quickly made, key under a stone, a friend made breakfast, the luggage taxi knew where to leave luggage in a shed... Room was just big enough with tiny bathroom but the shower worked and there was parking which mattered at the end of our hike and the start of a road trip. It's about a 10-minute walk to pubs and restaurants downtown and to the beach and the official end (or start) of the ODP. Beautiful place. I can't recall if there was a common room but wifi worked fine. Breakfast was served in a conservatory on the back of the house facing a garden. Very peaceful and comfortable. Recommended. Don't know the price (booked by walking company).

Room tip: Both rooms we used were on the first floor, right inside the main door. Easy access.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Elizabeth V
Reviewed 23 October 2018

Our host had forgotten we had a reservation here on the last day of an arduous 177 hike on the Offa's Dyke Path. For personal family reasons, she simply forgot, and only when I called her to see how early check in was did I learn that she had no recollection of our reservation! Our walking tour company straightened it out and although the host had to leave town before we arrived, she left instructions on finding the key and arranged for a friend to cook our breakfast. A little quirky introduction to the place, but once there, it was fine. Our ground floor room was cute but had the smallest en suite bathroom I had ever seen. However, it all worked out. Breakfast was served in a lovely greenhouse with a view of a garden and was excellent.It is an easy walk to town for dining.

Room tip: The one on the left as you enter from the porch. Bigger. Call to confirm reservation before hand!
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2018

Malcolm and Swan welcomed us warmly and were most helpful in providing space for a private meeting with a visitor. Breakfast is served in a lovely sunroom overlooking the extensive gardens and exceeded our expectations. The location is only 3 or 4 minutes walk to the centre of town and, I understand, equally close to the end of the Offas Dyke Path.

The building is over 200 years old which, of course, makes it interesting but does mean that compromises have had to be made in providing room amenities. Our room was immediately to the left of the front door and, on first entering, smelled a little musty. We fixed this fairly quickly by simply opening a window. Beds were comfortable. The bathroom redefined "tiny" - 48 by 60 inches containing shower, toilet and miniature sink - and was inconvenient. No room to swing a kitten, much less a cat. On balance though, a satisfactory two nights accommodation.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for the second time and really like the place. Malcolm and Swan are very attentive and welcoming hosts. Rooms are cosy and the place has a lovely garden. Great breakfast too. Good location in Prestatyn, not too far from the high street.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 August 2018

We stayed at Plas Ifan last week on the final night of our walk on the Offa's Dyke Path. It was a most disappointing way to conclude the walk.

I had very limited interactions with the owners, as they left town that evening and someone else came in to cook breakfast the next morning. Malcolm seemed very nice and was kind enough to arrange for a cab to bring us to the train station the next morning. I also can't comment on breakfast since we left early to catch a train and did not eat. I will add that the gardens look very nice.

What I can discuss is the room quality, which to me is the most important aspect of any B&B. Our room was on the first floor immediately to the left of the entrance. The room was dark and dirty and filled with mismatched furniture. It had a strong smell that we couldn't quite identify, but our guess was that it was the detergent used on the bed sheets and the towels. I have posted a few photos that show a corner that had gone unvacuumed for quite awhile and a mini-refrigerator that sat right next to the bed and hadn't been cleaned inside or out in quite some time. Many B&B's are old and sometimes the rooms will simply reflect their age, but what we can't tolerate is a lack of cleanliness. I think it is noteworthy that none of the pictures on Trip Advisor are of rooms.

When we returned to the B&B after having dinner, there were no lights on outside the house and we had to fumble around in the dark to find our way in.

I have noted that the owner sometimes responds negatively to harsh reviews and sometimes criticizes the guests who write those reviews. For this reason I have provided photos to support my description and I have noted my very limited interaction with the owner. Any rebuttal criticism of me as an unusual, impolite, or difficult guest will be an untruth. I am simply providing my opinion for the benefit of other travelers. I don't like to write really negative reviews but when accommodations are unacceptable then I think it is important note and it is why people consult Trip Advisor. Many others seem to have thought highly of Plas Ifan. However, I can only say that the four of us who stayed there together felt it was uncomfortable and not up to standard.

Date of stay: August 2018