Halcyon Quest Hotel
PremierInn.com
Talardy Hotel(St. Asaph)
US$73
US$102
All reviewsbudget hotelhigh streetnice beer gardenstay there againroom was lovely and cleanfriendly welcomecouple of nightsstayed here for one nightalesmidnightwalkers
Reviewed 2 August 2011

We were not impresses to be expected to pay up front, nor were we impressed to be asked what we wanted for breakfast. No one showed us to our "triple suite", laughabled labelled! The room was hideous, it smelled disgusting, the pillow shams and throws had stains all over them although there were clean white pillowcases and sheets underneath. Between one small room and the bathroom was a yellowing net curtain that had seen better days allowing you a perfect view through a window into the bathroom - more sickly than suite!
The staff were friendly as were the locals but it was a real disappointment - never again!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank gevans210367
Reviewed 19 July 2011

As Social Director of the chaotic Pigeye Jackson 2011 UK tour I always try to find a respite from the grind and Halcyon Quest fulfilled the quest to the letter as halcyon days ensued. The pub is a tremendous attraction with the real ales, friendly staff and customers and, as I heard tell (but my doc won't allow me), an excellent breakfast. The room was small, cozy and adequate, overlooking the pub patio. All I need is a comfy bed, a little room to spread things out and a west facing (no sunlight in the morn for me) and I;m happy. The pub is as good as any I've ever been in with smiling faces, and delicious beer. The owner's son, Lee , runs an excellent karaoke show on Sat. night and he, himself, should be on telly as a host of something, for his sense of humour is p.d.q., witty and penetrating. His singers are excellent and would put Pigeye to shame. The location is central to all things Prestatyn and the owners are fabulous in conversation and comraderie. True professionals. I can't wait to go back. The locals from an excellent fish and chips owner to retirees who are great walkers lend huge character and every moment was a pleasure. I felt as though I was a part of the pub and town and Pigeye the Serious was only there for a few hours to spoil it for me--the rest was great.
Aaron Tatum

Room Tip: ask first, as I'm sure they will relate the info.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank aftatum
Reviewed 4 June 2011

Its difficult to know where to begin. My partner and I frequently have weekends away in this country and have stayed in many B&Bs from cheap and cheerful to the odd expensive one. The Halcyon Quest Hotel is the worst we have ever stayed in. The photograph of the hotel must be years old because it looks completly run down. There was no warm welcome just a demand that we pay up front and order breakfast. We were not shown to our room probaly because they would see the immense disappointment on our faces. The room was tiny, smelt of smoke and the double bed certaily wasn't full size. When trying to open the window to let some fresh air in, one was sealed by years of paint and the other that did open was broken. The windows and window ledge were rotten. The list is endless, broken light in bahroom, mould and dirty sink, ancient shower, no toiletries, the whole building is in need of a makeover. B&Bs can be dated but the complete lack of attention to detail was laughable. No biscuits with tea & coffee. The breakfast was pleasant enough but as a previous guest stated it wasn't a full english by any stretch and I've never had a hot water urn in a small establishment, surely a little teapot is not too much trouble. There was no information available for local interests. I could go on but basically I would not advise aybody to stay here.

Room Tip: Always read reviews
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ApachetearsLiverpol
Reviewed 10 April 2011

We had read the reviews before we booked but just wanted a place to put our head down for the night so we were not expecting to much from the hotel. If there had been a hotel chain near by we probably would have chosen to stay there as the cost would have been about same as here. This place needs the hotel inspector. The staff were very friendly, but wanted our money and breakfast order before we had seen our room. Rooms very bland magnolia painted over old wallpaper,12 inch portable tv on top of a video cassette box, miss match furniture, tea making facilities just sitting on the window ledge.There was no attention to detail. The room was not that clean dust on the light pull cord above the bed, hairs on floor in bathroom and the toilet, the toilet seat also moved when sitting on it. I could go on and on. Needless to say we didi not use the shower and left soon after breakfast. I love to support the small business, but they have to get their act together otherwise they will be no more.
We get back from out night out and were awoken by someone trying to get a light for his ciggies and drinking vodka. He was knocking on everyones door. After half an hour of this the owner turned up to sort him out thanks but he dosen't live on premises so he could do with a night manager to sort out problems like this much quicker. We accept things like this do happen but it is not pleasant when you are being shouted at through the door.
Breakfast was well cooked but their was no cereal on offer, just some tinned grapefruit in a bowl, some yoghurts were available but they were crammed into a basket as if they did not want guests to eat them. The orange juice was just on the table, we have know idea how long it had been in the glass. Service at breakfast was pleasant but no apology for the disturbance was offered until we complained about it. The setting for breakfast was ok but again a little attention to detail would have improved the experience. no free wifi

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank johnboy007
Reviewed 5 October 2010

Stayed three nights. Room average size for a double, clean and well turned out but not modern furnishings. Presented good value - not an expensive B + B hotel but then not plush either. Friendly hosts and plenty to chat to in the bar. Does lunches but no evening meals. Good range of real ales, plenty of parking.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple