“Overpriced for what you get”

Halcyon Quest Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Prestatyn
Rye, United Kingdom
“Overpriced for what you get”
Reviewed 20 October 2011

The Halcyon Quest is very dated and hasn't been updated for a good few years. Wasn't very clean either and it smelt very musty. The bathroom has mould, likewise the windowledge. In your room, you have tea and coffee making facilties but aside from that it's very basic. It was be noisy due to the karoke in the pub below, so not recommended to stay there if you have to get up earl.

The breakfast was good and you had pleasant service, and it is a quick walk to the town centre with a few eateries. The breakfast was the best part of the stay.

Room Tip: I wouldn't recommend staying here
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2011

My cousin and I had a weekend away and found HQ on the internet. We were more than happy and will most definately be returning. Our room was basic, but it's a B&B, not a 5* boutique hotel (nor does it advertise to be).
The staff and locals couldn't have made us feel more welcome if they'd tried.
I would recommend this to anyone for a great value, welcoming stay.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Nicky P
Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2011

"payment on arrival" - says it all because if we'd seen the room first we would have run a mile. A dirty, smelly, tired place - even had a bloodstain on the bedsheet - ugh. We were doing the offa's dyke walk and wanted comfortable accommodation before starting but ended up in this hell hole of a place. Would never recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Awful - dirty
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Clare B
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2011

Outstanding full english breakfast which we had , and there was also continental if preferred. Decoration dated admittedly but for £25 per person per night, I can put up with that, as it may be old but very clean and towels changed daily. Very welcoming bar with entertainment weekends.

Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank albion02
Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2011

We were not impresses to be expected to pay up front, nor were we impressed to be asked what we wanted for breakfast. No one showed us to our "triple suite", laughabled labelled! The room was hideous, it smelled disgusting, the pillow shams and throws had stains all over them although there were clean white pillowcases and sheets underneath. Between one small room and the bathroom was a yellowing net curtain that had seen better days allowing you a perfect view through a window into the bathroom - more sickly than suite!
The staff were friendly as were the locals but it was a real disappointment - never again!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank gevans210367
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 19 July 2011

As Social Director of the chaotic Pigeye Jackson 2011 UK tour I always try to find a respite from the grind and Halcyon Quest fulfilled the quest to the letter as halcyon days ensued. The pub is a tremendous attraction with the real ales, friendly staff and customers and, as I heard tell (but my doc won't allow me), an excellent breakfast. The room was small, cozy and adequate, overlooking the pub patio. All I need is a comfy bed, a little room to spread things out and a west facing (no sunlight in the morn for me) and I;m happy. The pub is as good as any I've ever been in with smiling faces, and delicious beer. The owner's son, Lee , runs an excellent karaoke show on Sat. night and he, himself, should be on telly as a host of something, for his sense of humour is p.d.q., witty and penetrating. His singers are excellent and would put Pigeye to shame. The location is central to all things Prestatyn and the owners are fabulous in conversation and comraderie. True professionals. I can't wait to go back. The locals from an excellent fish and chips owner to retirees who are great walkers lend huge character and every moment was a pleasure. I felt as though I was a part of the pub and town and Pigeye the Serious was only there for a few hours to spoil it for me--the rest was great.
Aaron Tatum

Room Tip: ask first, as I'm sure they will relate the info.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank aftatum
Liverpol
Reviewed 4 June 2011

Its difficult to know where to begin. My partner and I frequently have weekends away in this country and have stayed in many B&Bs from cheap and cheerful to the odd expensive one. The Halcyon Quest Hotel is the worst we have ever stayed in. The photograph of the hotel must be years old because it looks completly run down. There was no warm welcome just a demand that we pay up front and order breakfast. We were not shown to our room probaly because they would see the immense disappointment on our faces. The room was tiny, smelt of smoke and the double bed certaily wasn't full size. When trying to open the window to let some fresh air in, one was sealed by years of paint and the other that did open was broken. The windows and window ledge were rotten. The list is endless, broken light in bahroom, mould and dirty sink, ancient shower, no toiletries, the whole building is in need of a makeover. B&Bs can be dated but the complete lack of attention to detail was laughable. No biscuits with tea & coffee. The breakfast was pleasant enough but as a previous guest stated it wasn't a full english by any stretch and I've never had a hot water urn in a small establishment, surely a little teapot is not too much trouble. There was no information available for local interests. I could go on but basically I would not advise aybody to stay here.

Room Tip: Always read reviews
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ApachetearsLiverpol
Also consider these accommodations in or near Prestatyn
The Beaches Hotel
Premier Inn Rhuddlan Hotel
Springfield Hotel & Health Club
Springfield Hotel & Health Club
#1 of 1 in Pentre Halkyn

Been to Halcyon Quest Hotel? Share your experiences!