Pontin's Prestatyn Sands Holiday Park
Rhyl, United Kingdom
“Great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

Arrived with our group of young people with special needs....and had a whale of a time!!!...our rooms were great., comfy and acceptable, staff were fantastic and the food was basic but good!.... improvements are being made and are slowly coming on!...dont expect a 5* standard........but do you pay 5* prices??? Nope!....great value budget breaks!....already booked to come again!!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank ROB E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (662)
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

We've taken lots of SUN holidays before with no problems what so ever, mainly Haven, but thought we'd give PONTINS a try as we'd never visited Wales before either.

We started our trip at Chester Zoo and Premier Inn, fabulous. Arrived to Prestatyn excited to continue our hol. Arrived at 11am and did not get keys until 10PM!!!!! Neither did the rest of the camp. Customer service was appalling, one member of staff got punched in the face by a guest and police were called and staff shut down all communication with guests.

Once finally received keys, went to get bed linen. Hatch door was shut in our faces as someone questioned why we'd had to wait so long and we were told by the lady she didn't have to deal with our problems and refused to give us our bedding. Bare in mind. I have a 3 year old and 7month old baby who hadn't had a decent meal or sleep since the following evening.

Arriving at the accommodation we were presented with dirty floors, bathroom and rubbish bag behind the door. My three yr old actually wet herself she was so exhausted (which she never does).

Myself and my husband had to sleep on a sofa bed (despite double bed being advertised). It didn't even comfortably fit one of us on it. As my daughter had wet the bed, we didn't even have another bed as an option.

Waking up the next morning it was apparent how disgusting the place was. I spent two hours scrubbing the place while me hubby took the kids out. It wasn't fit to sit my baby on the floor or eat in.

I did complain and got told I couldn't move as some people hadn't checked in yet so there was no space. (In reality a number of people had left the previous night with no intention to come back!)

The pool was closed for no apparent reason when we went to take our children swimming. Once we got there the shower was cold, the clubhouse/pub floors filthy, litter everywhere.

The children's entertainment was really good and if everything had been to that standard a good hol would have been had. We never settled and checked back into the Premier Inn in Chester before the end of our stay.

I never complain about anywhere, but I've never had too. This place really was vile and I will never visit again, in fact it has put me off PONTINS for life. I had such amazing memories as a child and was expecting outdated in need of a refurb, but this was beyond that. Utterly disgusting. Please do not go. I wish someone had given me this advice before we went.

On our return home I've heard the same reviews from 5 other families that I know who have visited the same camp :0(

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
17 Thank SonyaGow

Travellers are raving about these Prestatyn hotels

Manchester uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

Booked 2 4 bedroom chalets for my daughters and grandkids it was a cheap and cheerful price so I wasn't expecting much. When I got there I was shocked it was one of the best New Years I have spent. The entertainment was second to none. X Factors Shane Ward and Britains got Talent Richard and Adam 3 nights of great entertainment . Staff all got in spirit of things ver enjoyable break well done Pontins.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank tommo53
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

Ive been going to Pontins since being a kid and always loved it! As an adult I suppose you see things differently. We went for NYE 13/14 and got a challet to sleep four for 99.00 at the beginning of the year.
It was the lowest band challet, honestly?? It did the job but it wasnt clean in the slightest. There were cobwebs, rusty toilet seat, limescaled taps. There was also silly things wrong like no shelves in the fridge door, no oven shelf, the lights above the mirrors didnt work.

Now thats out the way....we arrived at 2ish and managed to get the keys pretty much straight away, there were 8 challet loads of us and all our challets had been put together which was nice and we paid the extra supplement to be downstairs.

Our challets all had electricity cards on the meter of over £10 (I think this was from previous guests). The bed settee was a leather thing, very uncomfy. You need to take all your own bedding covers unless you pay the extra, quilts and pillows are provided but not covers/sheets.

In the bar there is a lot of selection on alchopops and a few ciders but not much choice on lager. Bottled carlsberg and carlsberg draft :-/ Not my favorite! (You can get away with sneaking a few bottles in in your bag ssshhhh)

The restaurant is great value, £5 adults £3 under 12s all you can eat! We got breakfast the day we was leaving and it was amazing! We queued for about half hour but it was worth it!

Entertainment? Not too bad but considering it was New Year I was expecting so much more! The entertainment is always something that has brought me back to Pontins with magicians and comedians, I didnt rate the entertainment this time round though. In the Fun Factory (big room) Shane Ward and some opera singing brothers from Britains got talent were on one night followed by disco. NYE night was brilliant with a band called Jamie and the first class, they had everyone up dancing and the DJ afterwards was great too. On our last night we went into the smaller bar called Lunars and we were looking forward to enjoying our last night with some good entertainment, it was advertised as a great live act, after sitting through bingo and adult game show they announced the live act: it was one of the bluecoats singing! I didnt rate it at all, she was a good singer but not good enough to get everyone up dancing. I was a bit disappointed to be honest as was the rest of the people on my table.

During the day I took the kids swimming and they werent to the cleanest standards either, showers were cold too. A few friends also went playing crazy golf, it was a £5 deposit that you got back when you returned the clubs. Snooker was the same.

Location? Its right by the beach, about 5 minute walk. Prestatyn is about 15 minute walk away and there are a few little holiday shops along with tesco, river island, boots, new look. Rhyl is a bus or car journey away a couple of miles.

Overall, I would never say never to going again because its a cheap and cheerful holiday if you get the right deal but I definitely wouldnt be willing to pay for Pontins what I pay for Butlins, Butlins wins hands down in all areas.

Oh and one more thing....if you are going for NYE be prepared to be up early on NYE morning to get your table! I was at the front reception door along with about 60 other people at 8am ready for the doors to open at 9am so we could dress and reserve a decent table.

Macclesfield, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

Went to pontins wales for 3 nights for new year and was fantastic, even going back for 2014 new year.Went with my 6 year old daughter and my cousins. They all had a brill time.entertainmet was fantastic, price at bar was reasonable priced.rooms was good and clean and plenty of space, beds bit hard but slept fine. showers need inproving but all good and a brill time

Room Tip: the club x
2 Thank Steph H
Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

Unfortunately we didn't think to read other peoples reviews on TA before we set off, if we had we would have happily sacrificed the money we paid.

Booked it through a Groupon so wasn't expensive but wouldn't go back if you paid us!! From the minute we arrived, it was like going back in time, to a concentration camp! The buildings were old fashioned, the actual accommodation was appalling. We cleaned every surface before we unpacked. Fortunately we had chosen to take our own bedding so at least we knew that was clean! The fridge was disgusting,not quite sure what was living down the side of it,see photos. We didn't bother with the entertainment. Took a walk through the on site amusements and nearly stuck to the carpets, could do with a deep clean or a good fire!!! We even had to pay for own electricity which seemed to go very quickly, admittedly it was cold so we needed the heaters on but there's no indication of how long you're getting for your money each time.

Having said all of this, we will definitely go back to the area as the scenery was beautiful and in the right weather, the beaches would be nice. We also visited the nearby Mountain zoo which was amazing and also Conwy castle which was great. We'd just take a route around Prestatyn!!!

Stayed November 2013
2 Thank Paul H
Darlington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

We went for NYE2013/14 and we were very worried about what we would find when we arrived.

ARRIVAL/CHECK IN
We arrived at about half 4 and was directed by security to receiption. We could not quite believe the length of the queue when we got there! We queued for around 1hr 15 minutes before we were at the from of the queue. Once we got to the counter the girl serving us was friendly enough and we were given our key and told how to find our room.

THE ROOM - the bit we were dreading!
What can I say? Dated and dirty are the the best way to describe what we found. If I ever find myself unemployed I will be straight on the Pontins website looking for a cleaners job! They either get paid for doing nothing or there are only 2 cleaners for the whole park?!?! (probably the latter).
The oven was filthy, overflow on the sink was filthy the floors were filthy, we couldn't tell what the weather was like outside as we couldn't see past the grime and bird muck. The bath (if you can call it that) was full of hair and very mouldy around the edges.
There were a few faults in the room - The sink was blocked and wouldn't drain, the toilet wouldn't flush and when it did it sounded like a rocket taking off! Also there was no hot water pressure! We reported this to receiption and all problems were sorted out straight away! Can't fault the staff for the way they handled everythin (if you do decide to go, request room 374 as everything now works and we gave it a ruddy good clean!).

ENTERTAINMENT.
The entertainment was first class, special mention for Jamie and the first class, fab band and every song they did was better than the last! Great.
My only gripe is that we had no chance of getting a table as they were reserved from 9am when the doors opened but that's not Pontins's fault. Also again the entertainment area could have been cleaner.

We probably wouldn't go back but we made the best of it and all in all we had a really good time!

Room Tip: Take cleaning stuff, LOTS of cleaning stuff.
3 Thank andylee210
Also consider these accommodations in or near Prestatyn
The Beaches Hotel
Presthaven Holiday Park
Presthaven Holiday Park
#1 of 7 in Prestatyn
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,709 reviews

Been to Pontin's Prestatyn Sands Holiday Park? Share your experiences!