“Can't get the staff these days...!!”

Pontin's Prestatyn Sands Holiday Park
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Can't get the staff these days...!!”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I was very much looking forward to my return to Pontins after having a nice stay back in April 2013 with my partner and 3 year old Son & this time I was returning with my new-born baby and parents after raving about how much of a good time that we had - well...how embarrassing!

We arrived at 12pm and were checked in immediately - great. Although if we would have arrived 1 hour later, I dread to think how I would of coped in the horrendously long queue that started at the reception and tailed all the way into the Fun Factory, just to be given keys to the shamble that they call a "Club" Chalet.

On arrival at the room, we found the following -
Streaky windows covered in sticky finger prints, dirty& tonnes of seagull poo.
A mound of hair coating the bathroom toilet and yellow stains of urine - absolutely filthy!
Bits of mud, dirt, paper & wrappers covering the bedroom carpets - whats wrong with a quick hoover?!
A left over sock - how gross!
Bits of crumbs in the sofa bed (which my Mum had to clean!)
Toilet was blocked (which my Step Dad had to fix!)
Boiler was not working (which my partner had to swap the fuse to fix the problem DESPITE being promised that maintenance would be on their way to fix the issue)
WE WERE SUPPOSEDLY ON HOLIDAY - WE ARE NOT PONTINS CLEANERS OR MAINTENANCE STAFF.
So thank you Tom & Don for "servicing" our room. You did an utterly terrible job.

The one moment of the holiday that outraged me the most was when myself & my Mum went to speak to the reception staff to highlight our issues. We were first to the desk but the lady served 2 people before us, then asked 'Are you being served?!' hmmm..no. She then basically sighed and said 'Ok what's the problem?' whilst writing them down on a complaint form. She snapped that we were telling her 'too fast' as she was writing them down. Not once did she sympathise or apologise for the problems that we had encountered. She actually argued and had, what seemed like a ready made excuse. An example of this would be when we told her about the dirty windows - 'well, that's seagulls for you' or when we told her about our dirty room 'well, everybody has different ideas of cleanliness' & finally, the showstopper 'so, have you got any major issues?'. WOW! You may want to invest in better staff as this lady was rude and could not care less and did not do anything or suggest anything to help us. She was the small lady with the pink fringe.

We were next door to the Clampets for 3 nights who enjoyed after-parties until around 2am each evening.

My 4 year old son was so looking forward to going in the arcades but after one evening of being abused by a group of rude 'traveller' children, there was no way he was going back in there.

There were lots of traveller groups during the easter weekend that we stayed and they were kicking the arcade machines, carrying mountains of food out of the restaurant and dropping it all over the corridor, they also had covered the chairs and tables in the Fun Factory with coats and bags to reserve places which left my family of 6 adults and 2 babies without anywhere to sit. They were really intimidating and this is one of the main reasons that we will not be returning.

There were some good points as I do not think that the Blue Coats get the recognition they deserve. Blue Coat Chewy and Blue Coat Jade were both fab with the kids. & Thank you Jade for squeezing me into Breakfast with Zena!

I thought that the staff on the kiddies go-karts, bouncy castle & trampolines were pleasant. But I did think that the £8 family bike was steep but I could hardly say no to our 4 year old once he'd seen them dotted about the park.

All in all - rubbish stay, we will not be returning.

I would advise that everybody pay a little extra to outprice your idiots

1 Thank Lauren W
Cliff S, General Manager at Pontin's Prestatyn Sands Holiday Park, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Hello, thank you for taking the time to write your review and we are disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay here after you stayed in 2013 and had a good holiday with no issues, like the overwhelming majority of our guests experience.
From time to time issues do occur and we do try our best to resolve such issues as promptly as possible.
Your comments relating to the member of staff who dealt with the recorded issues have prompted some concern. All criticism of staff is taken seriously and this will be investigated.
We apologise that rowdy guests disturbed you during your stay. Whilst we do not have full control over the behaviour of our guests, we do try our best to promote good behaviour with a good behaviour charter being put in every reception pack. There is also a number on the back of every key which can be called 24 hours day should you experience any issues like those mentioned in your review.
Once again we are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay and we thank you for writing your review,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (691)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

I have to say after reading the reviews I was really worried. We have arrived today on a sun holiday and the apartment is great. It's nothing special but it tidy enough, clean ( ok the skirting boards are dusty but if I pulled my bed out it would be similar) the bathroom /kitchen is fine and the beds once made up with our own bedding and covers will do. The pull out bed in the lounge is only really suitable for kids but the staff so far are friendly and there is plenty for the kids to do. So far I'm impressed. You get what you pay for and for what we have paid I'm happy! It's not 5* but I'm not paying those prices or expecting anything fancy so for a cheap holiday it's worth it. The area is lovely, the beach is a stones throw.... If you want more than that pay more!! Only thing is check in wasn't until 5pm but we just went to the beach. Happy days! :)

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Srgenthowden
Thank you for your review of Prestatyn Sands and we appreciate your taking the time to write about your time here.
We are pleased to hear that you had a good holiday. The New Pontins was born in February 2011 and since then we have made many improvements across the park.
We believe we offer great value for money holidays that the majority of our guest enjoy.
Once again we would like to thank you for your review and we hope to see you again in the near future.
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I visited here as a child with my family and we loved it, however returning with my family as an adult was very disappointing! The accommodation is dirty and whatever improvements they say have been made is a joke. Dirty sheets were left outside our front door the whole time we were there. The restaurant (if you can call it that) was more like a school canteen, not very clean or much choice. The other food options were a dirty fish and chip shop or a burger stand with limited options. No healthy option at all. There was little entertainment if any, and most of the machines in the arcade were broken. We had no table to sit at, only chairs we found in the corner. Improvements need to be made. There was few staff serving at the bar and visitors had to wait some time to be served. Staff didn't appear very professional and there was not many blue coats around for the guests. All public areas were run down, dirty and not a pleasant place to spend the weekend. I wouldn't return here or to any Pontin's site ever again, they should be shut down! The surrounding area of Prestatyn and town was nice, that was our only saving grace. So if you want to visit this area stay in a nice hotel instead! Pontins should be ashamed to offer this as a 'holiday park' very disappointing. It was cheap but defiantly not cheerful.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Amurry12345
Thank you for your review of Pontins Prestatyn Sands and we are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay here.
We have refurbished all of our accommodation with new flooring, new furniture, new beds and many more improvements across all the apartments on site and it is disappointing when standards of cleanliness are not met. Your comments have been directed to our housekeeping team for action to ensure that this does not happen again.
We offer great value for money holidays with guest figures and re-bookers continually increasing and we have provided thousands of families with enjoyable holidays. We are continually improving the facilities on offer to our guests in order to keep all guests entertained and the vast majority of our guests do have a great time.
Once again we are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us but we thank you for your review.

Travellers are raving about these Prestatyn hotels

Cannock, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2014

What can I say. Got to the accommodation and the door was off the fridge, only 2 cups, no kettle and receptionists who were dealing with a queue of complaints by fobbing everyone off before I even checked in. No security on in the arcade meant teenagers charging around most oft the night with water pistols knocking over the toddlers with no one to stop them. Seriously if you are a scutter /trish type then this place will be heaven. Just let your kids go around the arcade while you get plastered. Don't bother giving them money and just let them push the little kids out of the way and steal there goes or their hard earned tickets when they are not looking - don't worry because there are no security people in site to stop them so instead of having them run around inner city streets while you are sloshed come here and they can have fun indoors. Other highlights were the food - my son only eats chicken nuggets and he almost needed dental treatment after eating them in he canteen (Nice cheesecake though). The best bits about this visit are the ability to warn other decent people to stay away from this place and the security guard - he was a nice bloke and also near the best bit of the whole site - the exit.

3 Thank Dave T
Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Went 2 nights half board, standard one bed chalet with grandchildren 4 and 20 months. £90.00 on a voucher deal. We took our own bedding and a cot. Accommodation dated but ours seemed clean enough with new fridge and kettle. Sofa bed very uncomfortable though suggest taking something to soften the blow if you intend using it. Bathroom very basic with just bath and no shower and sink with dripping tap but served the purpose non the less. Tip do not leave the heated boiler on too long as it just eats the 'carded' electricity. Food was adequate with choices but could do with a few more high chairs to share around. Adult Entertainment is what you would expect with a few 'never quite made its yet' but the kids loved it anyway especially captain croc and the animation team and it is good to know they can join in, dress up, mill around at the front with no fear of getting lost/abducted etc. Only problem is that it starts a bit late for the younger ones at 8.00 o clock after the bingo. The on site shop has a £1.00 for everything section so you can spoil them for little cost. The large games room was closed for refurbishment so not so many arcade games/slots etc for them to waste their money on. The upstairs play room is good for the smaller ones but as it was a little chilly and damp the outside day time entertainment was a bit curtailed. The pool area has had the slides taken away so just a big pool and a kiddies one now but again enough to enjoy a splash or two. Bar drinks are at normal pub prices and a bottle of wine to drink at the table is only £8.95 [still cheaper in the shop though if you want to risk smuggling a bottle in under your jacket]. They seem to be investing a few bob in the site so it may well bring it into the 21st century eventually but for a cheap weekend away with kids for what we paid you would need to be fussy to grumble..in life you generally get what you pay for. A week there as adults would probably be a bit much to bear though. It is also a pity that limited staff numbers stop them opening the back entrance to the prom and nice beach so it is a bit of a trek round the outside. There are are a couple of kiddies play areas and an amusement arcade about 800 yds along the prom if you fancy a stroll.

Room Tip: Looking through the windows there did not seem to be much difference between the standard and superi...
2 Thank Bargainhunter1946
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of Pontins Prestatyn Sands.
We have invested time and money in the refurbishment of our park since the New Pontins was born in February 2011 and it is great to hear that this has been noticed by our guests and we are very pleased with the positive comments received in your review and we also take on board the constructive criticism and confirm that all comments have been duly noted.
More improvements are planned in the near future and we would suggest you keep an eye out on our website for details of future improvements.
Once again we would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2014

First of all I thought this place had been refurbished? I have been here previously and there has been minimal if any changes, infact of all stays at Pontin's Prestatyn this has by far been the poorest.
1. It is cheap, so I don't expect 5* quality, however I expect it to be CLEAN.
2. The rooms are filthy, I highly doubt that anyone has serviced this room, bugs in the bath, mould in the bedroom, HAIRS ON THE COOKER!
3. Okay, so now there is a leather pull out couch bed in the popular rooms and different beds also, the couch is comfy as a couch not sure about a bed, the bed is not comfortable it is lumpy and you can feel the springs coming through.
4. You only get 4 pillows for a room that sleeps 5, the pillows are so thin you need around 4 for any sort of comfort.
5. Disgusted with the arcade, always enjoyed this place previously now I feel its gone downhill, its hard to find a machine that is actually not out of order! Some don't even display out of order and just eat your money.
6. Pretty glad we are self-catering, choice and quality of food in this place is seriously poor. Chippy is OK not much choice, fish chips sausage etc. Basic choices, buffet bar has poor choice and after speaking to other holiday makers it seems the food there is pretty poor, we have steered clear. Food in the evening? Well outside the Lunar Bar there is a small imitation Mcdonald's sort of place, large chips are not large at all and for the price I was expecting more, pretty poor and basic choice of food here burgers, chips or chicken.
(Hot dog place always shut, I thought this place had been refurbished?!)
7. The bar, not a large amount of choice at all, only Bulmer's Cider which is poor, spirits taste watered down and the bouncers seem to target random groups and ask them for proof of ID at the table, is this not the bar staffs job to be asking for ID? Rude and abrupt and unessecary if you ask me.
8. I am officially bored of this place, not much to do at all everything is expensive such as the 4 man bikes 8 pound for half an hour seems pretty steep for a value holiday park.
9. Finally! We lined up and waited around 2 hours for our keys the que was ridiculous and finally got in our room around 7pm after being told we would have our keys at 4pm.

Sadly I was looking forward to this small break as it has always been a fun break, expectations were high as we knew it had been refurbished. Overall this place has gone downhill and we won't be visiting again after this break.

(You would think the manager would respond and take on board all the negative feedback! We are all having the same problems, sort it out Pontin's)

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Djhoughton546
Thank you for taking to write your review.
Following the refurbishment of our main building including new reception floors, new carpets in the venues, new bars, new lighting, painting of the reception area and new signage, we are disappointed to hear that you did not notice the changes made on park.
All of the operational issues mentioned in your review of great concern to us and all comments from guests such as yourselves are taken on board as we continually strive to improve the level of service and facilities offered to our guests.
We would like to thank you once again for informing us of your issues and for taking the time to write your review.
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Total disorganisation when checking in no one was given proper instructions and there were no information signs, leading to slagging matches between holiday makers. Finally checked in and things went from bad to worst, the entire resort was poorly maintained rust covered every inch of the banisters and panels. There were broken steps on the route to our apartment, the door of our apartment was in desperate need of painting and our windows were so dirty not to mention all the bird poo on them that we had a job seeing through them. Entering the apartment still at this point with an open mind we were presented with filth, all the chairs around the dining table were stained and you could literally shake a handful of dirt off each of the chairs, there were stains all over the walls, there was grime and mold on doors, door handles, kitchen and bath sinks and taps our white shower curtain was stained with mold, we also had the pleasure of a smearing of blood on the toilet wall and on the window ledge in one of the rooms, all surfaces we're thick with dust and the tops of the kitchen cupboards were so think with dirt it turned my stomach you would literally need a scrapper to remove it. I could go on but I think you will get the picture, anyway I complained and asked to speak with a senior manager, when he eventually turned up it was 5:30pm I informed him of my findings and presented 15 photos that I had taken of the room, I asked for the room to be cleaned before I unpacked to which he informed it would be cleaned straight away as it was totally unactable. Myself , wife and two kids left the resort for a walk over to the beach to await the room being cleaned, when we returned around 7pm we could see no evidence that any cleaning had taken place. We decided to stay the night and leave in the morning to go back home.

Out with the cleanliness issues all facilities the site had to offer were extremely poor with a third of the kids entertainment machines not operational, food options so poor we ate takeaway from a local chip shop. The entertainment hall which is called the fun factory was an absolute joke, very dark due to the amount of light fittings not working and was thick with dirt to add. Again I could go on but I'm sue by now you will know to STAY AWAY!!!

The General Manager of this establishment should be embarressed, ashamed and sacked, never have I been so disappointed completely ruined my families Easter break.

4 Thank 30SeanR
Thank you for your review of Pontins Prestatyn Sands.
We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your time here.
We have invested heavily in the refurbishment of our accommodation and facilities on site and we find it disheartening to here such negative comments from guests such as yourselves. We have looked at your operational issues and have passed a copy of your comments to the relevant departments to enable them to take action as necessary.
Once again we would like to thank you for your review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Prestatyn
The Beaches Hotel
Travelodge Colwyn Bay
Travelodge Colwyn Bay
#1 of 3 in Colwyn Bay
The Grand Hotel - Llandudno

Been to Pontin's Prestatyn Sands Holiday Park? Share your experiences!