“Gradually Improving!”

Pontin's Prestatyn Sands Holiday Park
Colwyn Bay, Wales, United Kingdom
“Gradually Improving!”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I felt I should review our recent holiday because I noticed the last review was a year ago.

I have been taken my family ( 3 boys, 2 girls) to Pontins Prestatyn since 2011. I have been to haven aswell but as a lone parent Pontins ALWAYS beats other parks on price. VERY cheap especially during summer holidays which is when I have to go due to working term times.

Now..as a grown up its not particulary my cup of tea, dare I admit it lol Obviously Id much rather go somewhere more up market. But...im skint..like alot of people! And the kids absolutely LOVE it there. Therefore,Pontins it is!

So..the facilities this year were soooo much better than previous years. The take over in 2011 really left it in a sorry state and it seems to have taken alot of years and graft to get it up and running properly again.

Granted Pontins should have made this clear to customers during previous years. But I think its safe to say its probably a good time to give Pontins another go if youve been put off before.

During our stay end of July this year, there was lots to do, go carts backup and running, inflatables and bouncy castles, crocs driving school, climbing wall, skate park, fun bikes, xbox/computer room, soft play area etc, swimming pool, Beautiful beach, hop on bus into town.

The evening entertainment was AMAZING!!! we had Ricky K from Britains got talent, MK1 from Xfactor, TIMMY MALLET!! which was just super! and a fab magic show. The blue coats were incredible and just fab with the kids. My 2 oldest which are now teenagers loved the humour of the blue coats - they now understand the jokes just meant for adults and found it all hilarious lol

I wasnt happy with the location of my apartment but the staff moved me immediately and were very understanding and polite.

I have learnt to always book club. Its not that much dearer and you get perks- bottle of wine,daily paper, free breakfast on departure, 50% off activites in the mornings.(handy for fun bikes and xbox room.)

The cleaning is still a big problem though - this is the only problem and its a real shame because its putting people off big time. Maintenance too - balcony still needs an overhall and a suitable loo seat should be expected but I know some apartments didnt even have that! Although, our tv was broken and it was replaced straight away, so I presume if you asked reception they would sort it. Whoever is "checking" these apartments before arrivals is doing a terrible job..sorry.

Over all though a great holiday. Lots of good reasons to go. If we all keep TELLING them (rather than complain on here and facebook) Maybe then Pontins will get the hint and up their game. SPEAK OUT PEOPLE - TO PONTINS!

TIP - there is a crown carvery just up the road that does a lovely roast and unlimited ice cream which is cornish and delicious! Cheap too. Pontins canteen is really cheap and your kids will be really full but half way through the holiday I really wanted a proper cooked meal! (rather than mostly canned/frozen stuff) Beef stew was nice.

Room Tip: Book club and make sure that you fill out the "additional information" on your booking for...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Cliff S, General Manager at Pontin's Prestatyn Sands Holiday Park, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Thank you very much for your positive review of Pontins Prestatyn Sands. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay here and you have noticed the major improvements we have made to the park. We will be sure to pass on all your comments to our hard working staff as this is grately appreciated. We are continuously undergoing more refurbishments, which hopefully will also be recognised to our guests to ensure they have a fun filled holiday.
Thank you once again and we hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (692)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We went to pay to do a day visit to see if we liked it to go next year, we was staying down the road & wanted to check it out, granted we arrived on change over day, secruity very welcoming. The main car park was a pot hole hell, everyone just dumped their cars!
Main reception was busy as expected we got a map and went for a toddle, we wanted to check out the accommadtion as we'd heard & read horror stories, I spoke to some cleaners who had just finished cleaning one of the chalets, it was the mid price range, it was on the surface looking clean but the smell was very stale, bedroom we're decent size, but the sofa bed OMG is was a throw back from the 70's has was all the furniture, if they've spent money on this place then it wasn't where it needed. It's looks like a council estate that's never been cared for. We carried on our tour to the childrens indoor play area, they boasted about a full size snooker hall - it was closed for refrubishment in AUGUST!! The indoor children area was your typical ball pool climbing frame place, it was very hot & stuffy in there, either the aircon wasn't working or there was none, loads of people walking out saying they couldn't breathe, we'd seen enough and maybe it's not a fair overview, but I'm a firm believer first impressions do most of the time count, I wouldn't be comfortable allowing my grandsons play in the area outside the chalet it wasn't safe, pot holes everywhere. Sadly Pontins you won't be getting our custom, no matter how cheap you are!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank suzynshaun
Thank you for your review of Pontins Prestatyn Sands. We apologise that you did not like you day visit. Regarding the snooker room being closed, unfortunately activities are subject to availibility. However we do have an alternative snooker room which located by the leisure zone which guests are more than welcome to use. We regret that you felt there were pot holes around the camp, however we do check the camp daily to make sure it is fully maintained and fit for purpose. With this being a family holiday camp Health and Safety is a priority. Once again thank you for taking the time to write your review and we apologise that you did not enjoy your day visit.

Travellers are raving about these Prestatyn hotels

Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

im getting a little scared about comming here for my stay lots of bad things said but also how u are up dating thing and all the club area is all done in a high stamdard but all these picks agaist you pics are sp bad i would like to see some updated pics from ur self to not only easy my mined but if it isnt that bad so u cn prove what u have been inproved sooo plz can we have some pics of the club apartments and grounds and just more general pics there is only 8 ov ypur on here and nearly 500 of other peoples pic wat are all bad !!!!! hope to hear bk

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Rachael C
Telford
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Our whole experience was awful!.. Dirty rooms, dirty bathrooms and customer service shocking.
Would never return and the whole experience was disappointing!
The only good thing was going a day early!!!

• Stayed August 2014
4 Thank KimG1985
Cliff S, General Manager at Pontin's Prestatyn Sands Holiday Park, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of Pontins Prestatyn Sands. We regret that you didn't feel like you fully enjoyed your holiday. We encourage all guests to notify our reception staff to ensure that any issues the guest has are rectified immediately to help our guests enjoy their holiday thouroughly and experience a great value for money.
We apologise you didn't enjoy your holiday but we thank you again for taking the time to write your review.
Widnes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

For whatever reason it seems that people only tend to leave a review of somewhere when they have had a bad experience...just human nature I guess, but certainly makes life difficult for those who look at reviews hoping to get an honest appraisal of somewhere - which I think it's fair to say that anybody reading a review on Tripadvisor will do!

So, to begin, I would just like to thank all of the lovely staff at Pontins Prestatyn for being so welcoming and making our stay so enjoyable - we had a fab holiday, thank you x

We traveled as a party of 3 - 2 adults and a 10 year old teenager, and as our finances were somewhat stretched this year we weren't really planning on going away - until I came across a week's holiday starting on the first Saturday of the summer holidays for £279...which promptly dropped to just £229 thanks to an offer code which I received in an email, cracking deal!

It was a "popular" apartment we stayed in, and we didn't expect much, but nor did we need much. For us, it was simply a base to sleep in and grab the odd half an hour sit down before heading back out again. And yes the apartment was somewhat basic, with a particularly dated bathroom, but it gave us everything we needed - probably the only criticism of the apartment was the lack of a shower and having to rely on baths, but this was made clear at the time of booking and didn't put us out too much - had it been a deal breaker, I would have booked accommodation with a shower instead.

With a 10 year old teenager, we didn't really experience the Children's entertainment laid on in the Fun Factory, but instead preferred the fun and games, and amazing cabaret acts in Lunar's Showbar. And at this point I'd like to give a big shout-out to Kathleen Jenkins, who has an amazing voice as well as being a great entertainer as her alter-ego Bluecoat Kat. :) We did pop into the Fun Factory on the Thursday for a few mins of Timmy Mallett, and whilst we weren't disappointed with the show we didn't manage to find seats as it was so crowded, which meant we didn't stay overly long.

During the week we made use of various sports equipment available to hire/loan, and always found it to be in good order and the staff helpful etc. It's worth pointing out that the bar in the Queen Vic usually have a set of darts you can borrow for a £1 deposit instead of the usual £5 and having to walk to the hire place...although unfortunately these were damaged part way through our stay which meant having to hire them from the activity place and therefore return them by 6pm - not a major issue, just meant no quick round of darts before bingo.

The inflatable climbing wall was great too, and little'un enjoyed the go-carting, although would have liked a go on the quads had they still been available.

Only real gripe in any way about the activities was that only one session of Archery was offered during our week long stay, and whilst I attempted to book her on a number of days in advance unfortunately it was already fully booked - which was a big disappointment was was something she was really looking forward to trying. Ah well, guess that's a day out during the remainder of the holidays sorted.

We made frequent use of the bar facilities, mainly in the Queen Vic and Lunars, and always found the staff helpful and polite - never any major queues either. And whilst yes the prices are a tad steeper than your local old man's pub, compared to prices south of the Watford Gap it was positively Bargain Booze territory! Not bad selection on offer either it has to be said.

Only on one occasion did we eat in the restaurant, not because of any issue but simply a fussy 10 year old. We did the all-you-can-eat buffet breakfast one morning during the week, which was rather wasted on her costing £2.99 for 2 weetabix! I more than made up for it though, with a plate full which kept me going until evening - and whilst of course it's basic fare, it was quite tasty and certainly had no complaints, aside from some slightly greasy fried bread.

Of an evening, having eaten out during the day we tended to grab a snack from Casey's, and after a little disappointment on the first night when there was no chicken available, we became fans of the chicken fillet burger and proceeded to make pigs of ourselves all week...a little slow in serving, but freshly prepared which made up for that.

The amusement arcade became something of a second home, on a quest for tickets to win prizes (not for us, honest!) - and by the end of the week the bossy one had amassed over 5,500 which was quite some feat! No doubt they had cost us far more than the value of the prizes, but she had great fun in the process - and did come away with a half decent bag of goodies too.

We didn't venture into the Coffee Lounge until the last morning, and only then because madam was spending her tickets and we were in need of a cuppa before the walk back to the station. A little pricey, but not really bad compared to leading brands - although the service was very slow, and I did have to return a coffee that came iced instead of piping hot. When I finally got a hot one, it went down nicely and finished off the week.

So, all in all it was a fantastic holiday and we do look forward to returning in the future - and I'd have no hesitation in recommending the camp to other people, so long as they are realistic about their expectations and go with an open mind - if you go on holiday wanting to have a good time, you will do!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank MarcFUK
Thank you very much for your kindness in your review for Pontins Prestatyn Sands. We are very pleased you and your family enjoyed your holiday with us and we thouroughly appreciate you taking the time to write your review. We believe we give a great value for money holidays and we are delighted that you have recognised this. We are continuously updating our park and adding more facilities to keep the experience here special for families and children of all ages. Our bluecoats work extremely hard to entertain all guests and we thank you for your kind words about our bluecoat Kat, we will ensure these comments are passed on. Our website is full of great offers you can receive for future holidays. Once again we thank you and we look forward to seeing you and your family again in the future.
merseyside
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Me and my partner took her family including 2 grandsons here the week before last. And I have to say we had a great time. the facilities were clean, the entertainment was mainly aimed at the kids, but that was fine by us!
The apartment could have been a bit cleaner, the floor needed a mop, and we found a stalesausage roll shoved behind the microwave, but to be fair IT IS a camp site not the Ritz.

One thing I would like to mention, the cleaning crew in the main buildings do an incredible job, while I was there I noticed one of the toilets was very badly soiled, and I mean everywhere. I don't who by, and don't want to say the wrong thing (politically correctness and all that) as there are a very diverse range of customers. but it was a completely disgusting mess. The cleaner was there withing a minute, isolated the cubicle, cleaned the sink and floor almost immediately, and within 10 minutes the cubical was reopened and spick and span. fair play to the cleaners, I wouldn't like to deal with that.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Carthorse40
Thank you for your review of Pontins Prestatyn Sands. We appreciate you taking the time to write your polite review of our park and we are delighted that you enjoyed your fun filled holiday with us. As a family holiday camp we do put the childs best interest at heart and ensure there is a lot for all the family to be involved in. We believe we give a great value for money with our holidays and we appreciate the kind comments made towards our cleaning staff.
Thank you again for your kind review and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Rooms supposed to have been revamped.!!! Basically a sticking plaster to cover a large wound. It was filthy!! Frying pans with used bacon fat in the oven and cups with stains in. The balcony was all rusted and paint peeling. Seagulls nesting on the roofs.. Waiting for food! The sofabed in the lounge tips up as it's only supported on one side (our appts were club by the way so god only knows what Classic was like). It was like ASB city on a nighttime. Kids throwing firecracker type things at the glass patio windows!! If this is your thing good luck to you. If your children are used clean comfortable life this isn't the place for you. The only plus is that there is a lovely beachside hotel/restaurant over the road with a lovely clean beach beside it. We were on a football tournament weekend so we didn't choose to stay at pontins and even though it was only £85 per person I feel we would have at least had cleanliness and a decent environment if we had spent the money on a popular hotel chain or a decent caravan for the weekend. The bar smelt of chip fat!! We only ventured in for our presentation. We haven't stopped laughing since at the weekend we slummed it at Pontins Prestatyn..

• Stayed May 2014
Thank you for your review at Pontins Prestatyn Sands. We apologise that you did not enjoy your stay with us on this occassion. We encourage guests to notify reception staff as soon as possible, of any issues that they may encounter during their stay to rectify any issues and to make sure that they are comfortable and completely satisfied with their value for money.
Once again we thank you for your comments and taking the time to write your review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Prestatyn
The Beaches Hotel
Travelodge Colwyn Bay
Travelodge Colwyn Bay
#1 of 3 in Colwyn Bay
The Grand Hotel - Llandudno

Been to Pontin's Prestatyn Sands Holiday Park? Share your experiences!