“Great all round hotel”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ewloe
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great all round hotel”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Stayed at the hotel with my other half on the bank holiday weekend. I have no complaints at all as the staff are very friendly, the rooms are very clean and tidy and the restaurant also very good. Added feature of this hotel is that it has a Starbucks and pub themed bar inside the hotel.

The hotel is nor far from an independat pub if you fancy a short walk and change of scenery, and for a trip to Chester for the day a park and ride for £2 can be used.

We will definitely be staying at this hotel again.

1 Thank JudgeJustice
VillageStDavids, General Manager at Village Hotel Chester St David's, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear JudgeJustice,

Many thanks for your review following your stay. Your very kind words will be shared with all of the team here at St David's and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future.

Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here over the Easter holiday with our 2 girls. The hotel was lovely clean and the staff were welcoming. The girls each received a Lindt bunny and fruit shoot upon check in which was a lovely gesture and they really appreciated it. The leisure facilities in the were nice although the steam room was set far too hot in fact it was so hot it burnt as you breathed in.

On our first night we dined at the victory pub within the hotel and were sorely disappointed. I had the BBQ ribs which were so dry it was like eating cardboard and my partner had the beef madras which looked unappetising and lacked flavour. My youngests pizza was rock solid I think it could have been used as a paving slab. Only the eldest enjoyed her meal of spag Bol.

We had breakfast in The Verve bar and Grill in the hotel and what a difference. The food was lovely. Fresh and with it being buffet everything was replaced before it had a chance to run out.

The room was lovely the only downside was no air conditioning.

Location of the hotel wasn't fantastic as it was quite out of the way of anything the nearest thing was a pub across the road and a co-op a 5 min walk away and it was in the middle of a busy roundabout.

Stayed April 2014
Dear PurpleFrog88,

Thank you for your review following your stay with us at St David's. It is great to read that your two girls enjoyed their Lindt Bunnies and Fruit Shoot.
We are just about to change our Victory and Verve menu which will see improvments in the quality of the food.

I hope that we see you and your family again at the hotel.

Many Thanks
Llanrwst, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Dined at the Devere restaurant, food was lovely. Service was great. Diane and Tania made our dining experience a very pleasant one. Early doors menu, fantastic value, for those who wish to dine between 6pm - 7pm

Dear Darren P,

Thank you for your great review of the team and the restaurant. I will ensure that Diane and Tanja see your response.

I hope to see you in the restaurant again very soon.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Second trip here on business. Very friendly welcome at reception and quick check in. The place always seems to be buzzing with people in the bar, coffee shop and the gym/spa. Wish I had the time to utilize it as it looked good. Room clean and roomy but a bit noisy as room close to stairs and hotel office (room 112). Bathroom was looking a bit past it's sell by date and I didn't like the total lack of toiletries other than a wall mounted squeezy dispenser of cheapo soap/shampoo. I also don't like fixed shower heads but that might just be me!

Couldn't be bothered to go to restaurant so had nice meal in bar watching the news. Nice friendly bar staff made sure I didn't want for anything. Breakfast this time was ok, but the tomato sauce was rank. It tasted awful so I had to eat around it as it had a terrible tang. A bottle of the real thing would have been better.

However, I am looking forward to the opening to the new De Vere hotel opening near to where I live in Aberdeen as it looks like they have some good entertainment at the weekends & people rate their gym/spa's

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Room Tip: Avoid room 112 as it was very noisy
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Warren1212
Dear Warren1212,

Thank you for your review following your stay.

It is great to see that this is your second visit to the hotel already and that you enjoyed your stay. We have just replaced all the toilitries within the bedrooms so you will hopefully see the difference on your next stay.

I can confirm that Aberdeen is due to open towards the very end of the year so you will be able to enjoy the Village Experience closer to home.

Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We made a booking last minute at 11am the day we required a room. We booked a family room for my husband, Son and I, the room was lovely, spacious, clan and modern. It was quiet with a nice view. Normally when staying in a hotel I wake every hour from 2am but I slept peacefully until 7am =)

The staff on reception were fantastic, friendly and very quick but not to the point where you felt you were taking up their time with worthless chat. The gentleman advised us of the children's swimming times and upon telling him we were already travelling when we booked he advised us we could buy swimwear from the hotel or asda was 2 mins down the road. Not many places would bother giving that advice.

At night we arrived back in the hotel around 11pm and had not eaten, the gentleman on reception offered us a choice of sandwiches and even accomodated my fussy son who does not like sandwiches. Breakfast was beautiful, it was hot, there was plenty of choice and the staff again were lovely.

Due to having such a lovely time the next day we decided to extend our stay and they offered us the night for the same rate including breakfast which was very reasonable.
The hotel pool and changing rooms were clean and modern and we thoroughly enjoyed using the pool.

I have no complaints about this hotel and we did not want to leave! Looking forward to visiting my family in North Wales again so we can stay in the St David's Park too!

Room Tip: 218 was lovely and not too hot or cold! Also quiet
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear gayle436,

Thank you for your very kind review of the hotel, it is great to read that you had such a good nights sleep whilst you were with us, so much so that you extended for an additional nights stay.

We hope to see you again at the hotel in the future.

Many Thanks
Llanymynech, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Our stay was a 29th anniversary surprise for my husband: we stayed in Room 336, which was a paid-for upgrade to the Upper Deck (we'd specifically asked for a quiet room, away from passing traffic noise, when we booked in February; it was recommended we make the upgrade).

Good points first: smooth and friendly check-in; lovely comfortable bed and top-quality towels; nice toiletries; dinner was good, and it was nice being greeted by name in the restaurant and when staff came to our room. However, two check-backs during each course was excessive and unnecessary: I don't speak with food in my mouth, but got a strange look when I didn't respond!

The rest, unfortunately, are all bad points:
We were on the second floor, and Reception staff told us the route to follow to get to our room ~ but failed to tell us that there was a lift (and there were NO signs to it, either)!

A good gimmick having Starbucks on site, with their products in the room, but why does anybody think that a stick will suffice to measure out or stir in-room drinks?

A Bose speaker dock in the room ~ not everybody has a device that would use this, so a bit pointless we thought.

David used the pool and steam room; confusing signage, and he searched in vain for a bin in which to deposit his used towel ~ somebody pointed it out to him eventually, but why didn't staff tell him in the first place? Also, the locker key was on a key ring, but had neither a wristband nor pin attached, so he ended up tying it to the string of his swimming trunks!

"GUYS" ~ we abhor this greeting, which is only acceptable when used with young people. Very inappropriate ... staff should use their common sense about when to say it.

Worst point left 'til last: we settled down to sleep at about 11:00pm, and at first I thought that a window had been left open as the traffic noise was very intrusive. It was closed: one of the two handles was missing, which may have affected how tightly it was shut, but it was obvious, too, that the vacuum of the double-glazed unit was faulty (hence the condensation in between the two panes) and therefore was totally useless as a sound barrier.

I finally got dressed and went downstairs to ask if there was a quiet room available; the two gentlemen then on Reception were really pleasant and helpful, and could see that one other room was available on our floor. I wanted to just listen to check whether there was noise first, before moving our stuff; however, the room was occupied! No other room was available, so we had no choice but to leave as sleep would have been impossible for me. Fortunately we live just one hour away, so were at home at about 01:00.

I received a telephone call the morning after our abbreviated stay, and the complaint was handled very well.

Even though this trip was thoroughly ruined (we were going to spend the following day in Chester), we will attempt one more visit to the hotel later this year.

Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Second trip here on business. Very friendly welcome at reception and quck check in. The place always seems to be buzzing with people in the bar, coffee shoop and the gym/spa. Wish I had the time to utilise it as it looked good. Room clean and roomy but a bit noisy as room close to stairs and hotel office (room 112). Couldn't be bothered to go to restaurant so had nice meal in bar watching the news. Nice friendly bar staff made sure I didn't want for anything. Looking forward to the opening to the new de vere hotel opening near to where I live in Aberdeen as it looks like they have some good entertainment at the weekends

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ewloe
Holiday Inn A55 - Chester (West)
Northop Hall Country House Hotel
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
Beaufort Park Hotel
Holiday Inn Chester South
Gateway to Wales Hotel
Gateway to Wales Hotel
#31 of 44 in Chester

Been to Village Hotel Chester St David's? Share your experiences!