“good but with room for improvement”

Village Hotel Chester St David's
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ewloe
Reviewed 6 July 2014

we stayed there for two nights on a special occasion. I booked over the phone. first I expected something special in the room as the operator has asked if we are there for an occasion. but no there wasn't. we upgraded to the upper deck rooms. this is my first stay at Village so can not compare with the standard rooms. the room has a comfortable bed, Starbucks supplies for coffee and tea and a single hot chocolate sachet and a single small biscuit??!!, there was a Bose iPod/iPhone docking station which I couldn't use as it is the one with 30 pins ( not suitable for iPhone 5 /5s , the room comes with non-HD sky movies package and a reasonable speed wifi. the restaurant was OK but almost empty for dinner, breakfast on the other hand was good but not excellent. I can not stop comparing things to Mercure ( in Sheffield) where I stayed in four months earlier and I find Mercure much better I din't get the feeling that the upper deck rooms are bigger but they were clean and there was no noise . the Fried and pouched eggs were on request however we didn't know that till we overheard it mentioned ( we realised that there was a not at the buffet that fried eggs( didn't mention the pouched) are on order. otherwise was happy about the presence of vegetarian sausages. the pool was nice with steam and sauna. the hot tub was closed for the day in between our nights with no prior notice. there was also a good spa treatments on site with well trained professional staff.
would I come again ?? I don't know may be if on a good deal otherwise would try Mercure nearby which I didn't use in the past

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zafaf
VillageStDavids, General Manager at Village Hotel Chester St David's, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear zafaf,

Many thanks for your recent review following your stay with us.

I am sorry to read that we did not manage to fully meet your expectations during your stay. I have spoken with our housekeeping team to ensure that there isnt just the one set of starbucks items available within the room.

I am glad that you enjoyed both the pool and spa elements of your stay as well as the breakfast.

I do hope that you will consider using us again in the future. If you do have dates please do email us directly at the hotel so we can advise of the best available rates.

Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend stayed here for the night in July. The zoo is a short drive away. The hotel staff were very friendly. Having a Starbucks within the hotel was a bonus. The room was nice and the breakfast was great!. The only downside was that the bed sheets could have been cleaner. Overall very satisfied

Stayed: July 2014

Dear James H,

Many thanks for your recent review, your very kind words regarding the team is great to read and I will ensure that the team here at the hotel are aware of the feedback you have shared.

I hope that you had an enjoyable time at the zoo and that you enjoyed the Starbucks.

The feedback that you have mentioned regarding the bed sheets will be shared with our team also.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

My wife and I stayed her for two nights last weekend. On arrival we were offered an upgrade (for a minimal cost), which we took. The room on their "upper deck" we clean, spacious with a large bed, Sky TV and a Bose sound dock. We found all the staff from front desk to domestic to polite, friendly and eager to please. I take the point from a previous reviewer regarding the waiting staff wearing jeans and we also felt it looked a little incongruous. The breakfast was plentiful, varied and the cooked items hot. We didn't use the onsite restaurant or bar for evening meals preferring a short walk accross the road to a pub/restaurant. All in all a quiet and relaxing weekend in very nice surroundings. Easy access to Chester (which was the purpose of our visit) and the motor way network.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Steve V,

Many thanks for your recent review, it is great to read that you both had an enjoyable weekend and upgraded to one of our Upper Deck bedrooms.

I will ensure that your feedback is shared with all of the team here at the hotel. I am also pleased to be able to let you know that the uniform for our restaurant team is changing very soon.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed at this Hotel for a Sunday night stay with Dinner, Breakfast and a Spa treatment, as a Groupon gift from our Son and Daughter in Law. We booked in late afternoon and went straight to our room, it was a really nice room. lovely comfortable bed, nice clean sheets, tea and coffee making facilities, which was a nice touch, and some toiletries in the bathroom ( Shower wash and Shampoo).When I went to have a shower I noticed there was only one large towel and one small for 2 people, but within minutes, after a phone call to reception, the rest of the towels were delivered to our room. We had Dinner in the restaurant and although it is a smaller menu for the package we had, the choice was still quite good. When the food arrived it was really lovely and we could not fault all three courses. The Breakfast the next morning was the standard buffet but again, all very nice, the only gripe I had was you had to order your tea or coffee it wasn't self serve, and we did have to remind the staff ours hadn't arrived, but again this was very quickly dealt with.
The Spa treatment the next morning was booked for 12 noon which was after our supposed check out of 11am,but we emailed the day before and a late check out was arranged for us at no extra cost.
All in all it is a really nice place to stay and are even considering going back with friends for one of their tribute weekends.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not overlooking the main road as it is very busy,and can be a bit noisy.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
VillageStDavids, General Manager at Village Hotel Chester St David's, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear COB1975,

Many thanks for your very kind review, it is great the read that you both had a great stay with the gift from your son and daughter-in law.

I will share your feedback with all the team here at the hotel and we very much hope to see you both again very soon.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

A great evening had for my friends hen party a 'Dirty Dancing Tribute'.
We arrived and checked in by a very friendly and informative receptionist 'Jamie'. Our room was good but I do find that the bedrooms always seem dark & dull it must be all the grey paint. The room is in need of more of a refresh and could do with some extra plug sockets and perhaps another mirror, the bed was extremely comfortable and ensured we had a good nights sleep.
The bar staff seemed very pleasant but keep away from the cocktails as very weak more like a fruit juice!
The tribute act needs a little work on it but that did not distract from a good evening of dancing & drinking and meal very good for this kind of event.
The best part was the breakfast, we dined at 9am and found lots of tables available and served tea/coffee by a lovely lady who explained the breakfast procedure and availability, I have had many hotel breakfasts but this was of a very high standard, the only problem is the toast was more like warm bread than toast! Also arrive early for breakfast because as we were leaving they were queueing for breakfast - not very good.
An overall good nights stay and will certainly be back.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Shellykins2013,

Many thanks for your review, it is great to hear that you had a great evening at the Dirty Dancing Tribute with your friend and her hen party.

I will share your feedback with the team and discuss with the restaurant manager the issue that you have had with the toaster.

We hope to welcome you all back to the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Stayed here last night and had a really enjoyable time.
When you check in the reception is roomy and comfortable, staff are very polite and helpful.
My room was very nice, modern and up todate - No aircon though, which I was surprised to find. A small niggly thing was there were not enough plug sockets (for example if you want to charge your phone or charge your laptop) There was in fact only one socket I could find after lots of searching and that's where the kettle plugged in. Like a majority of large hotels the room door handles are not friendly to neighbouring rooms if people are sleeping in. You physically can not close your door quietly from the outside. However the hotel overall is very nice with great helpful staff. Breakfast was very enjoyable.
I understand the pool is small and the gym a little antiquated, but I never personally used them, my colleagues did.

If you get a deal on the price I really don't think you can go wrong. Nice hotel

Room Tip: Listen to the directions given for your room, if you think it is a little far away, ask very nicely...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Linda P,

Many thanks for your recent review, it is great to read that you had an enjoyable night with us at the hotel.

I am sorry to read that you struggled for plug sockets, when you stay with us next please do mention to reception and we would be more than happy to arragne a multiplug extension in your room for you.

I hope that we can welcome you to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Visited in June for one night only. I had previously been in another hotel nearby which was ok but not a patch on this one! The bed was a double and the mattress so thick I thought I would need a step ladder to get on it! Staff were so helpful, they even got train times for me. The bar staff were very pleasant. Although near a main road I did not hear the traffic, had a wonderful nights sleep and a good selection of food at breakfast in this very pleasant hotel, real value for money!

Room Tip: Stayed in the hub which is on the ground floor, huge room for one person!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear CrazydaisyKent,

Many thanks for your recent review following your stay, it is very kind of you to state that you have stayed at a nearby hotel and that you have enjoyed your stay with us so much.

We very much look forward to being able to welcome you back to the hotel when you visit the area again.

Many Thanks

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ewloe
Holiday Inn A55 - Chester (West)
Springfield Hotel & Health Club
Hallmark Hotel Llyndir Hall, Chester South
Crowne Plaza Chester
Crowne Plaza Chester
#10 of 45 in Chester

Been to Village Hotel Chester St David's? Share your experiences!