“Nice hotel, but no air conditioning.”

Village Hotel Chester St David's
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ewloe
South Wales
“Nice hotel, but no air conditioning.”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We recently stayed here for a hen weekend and really enjoyed. The rooms were large as was the en suite. Situated approx 15mins from Chester by taxi it was an idea base for us as we were going to Chester races. The breakfast was nice with plenty of choice. We also had a chance to use the spa which was also nice. The staff were very friendly and welcoming on reception, starbucks and in the spa. The only downside is there is no air conditioning and the rooms were very hot, as such I didn't sleep very well at all, and with the close proximity of our room to the road it was impossible to leave the window open and sleep. We were provided with a fan but this had little effect. Overall a nice hotel with reasonable rates ideal for what we needed.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the garden rather than facing the road which is noisy.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
VillageStDavids, General Manager at Village Hotel Chester St David's, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Benfelen,

Many thanks for your recent review following the hen weekend that you recently had with us. I hope that you all picked some winners at Chester Races. I am sorry to read that the heat of the room stopped your from sleeping as well as we would hope, it is great to read that you did enjoy the rest of your stay though.

We hope that we see you all again at St David's in the near future.

Many Thanks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Flintshire,
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Living within a close proximity of this hotel I have visited on several occasions for Weddings and other functions however this is my first time as an overnight guest.

I was in charge of arranging my best friend's hen party and when she decided that she wanted to go to Chester Races I started looking for hotels to book our party of 14. Starting in the City Centre the prices were very high if available so I started looking on the outskirts and decided upon this venue.

De Vere St David's Park despite being named as a Chester Hotel is actually located in North Wales just a 15-20 minute journey away from Chester City Centre so is actually well located for a cheaper alternative when wanting to visit the races and stay over.

****Location****
The hotel is located just off the A494 Expressway in a small village called Ewloe. It is close to Broughton and Chester City Centre so ideally situated for Chester Racecourse and Chester City Centre.
Despite its name it is located in North Wales which when travelling further afield has caused confusion when the sat nav takes you into Wales and you believe the hotel to be in Chester!

****The Booking****
I didn't actually make the booking with the hotel using a company called Spa Breaks as they actually offered a lower price and option of a deposit.
The booking was straight forward with the deposit being paid over the phone with a debit card and the balance being paid a few weeks prior to the stay.
We booked 7 twin rooms which included an evening meal on the Friday Night at the Verve Restaurant and breakfast on the 2 mornings and 2 treatments in the spa of 25 minutes per treatment all for £149.00 per person which was a very good deal considering the races were on.

****Arriving at the Hotel****
As the group organiser I was the first to arrive at the hotel for our weekend and after contacting the hotel prior to arriving I had asked if they could decorate the table for our guests, they really exceeded my expectations here as they scattered the table confetti and even inflated some of the balloons we had brought along. The result meant the bride was really impressed with how it had been set out.

I checked in to the hotel and was offered a wake up call and morning paper.
They confirmed that the evening meal was to be served in the Verve Restaurant and that breakfast would also be served there between 8am and 10.30am.
I was also informed that as a guest free wifi was available throughout the hotel.

****The Room****
As I had a treatment booked for 4pm I quickly dropped my bag into the room and had a nosy around, the room was a twin room but was decorated in a fairly modern manner with dark woods and deep reds and purples, it felt homely and the room was clean with basic amenities such as hairdrier, tea and coffee making facilities, tv and telephone.

The bathroom was a little outdated with older bathroom tiles that didn't quite match the modern feel in the bedroom, there was also signs of mould in the grout in the tiles which made you think that the bathrooms had not yet been updated.
The bathroom was relatively spacious with a bath with overhead shower and a spacious vanity area with basic amenities.

A wardrobe contained the ironing board and iron and several hangers inside.

The bed was extremely comfortable as it was Sealy Posturepedic, beds I always approve of when staying away from home.

The room itself was very dark especially when the curtains were closed but I was able to get a really good night's sleep.

****The Restaurant****
As previously mentioned we were booked into The Verve for our evening meal and included in the price of our stay was the set menu.

For an additional cost we had Garlic Flatbread and Mixed Olives to nibble on whilst we waited for our starters and the Garlic Flatbread was very tasty.

I opted for the Goat's Cheese, Poached Pear and Beetroot Salad which came with a £2 supplement, it was worth it. There was a decent sized portion of Goat's Cheese and the beetroot and pear complemented it perfectly.

For my main course I opted for the Double Chicken Breast with the lemon and thyme flavour which was served with fries, tomato and a flat mushroom, although it was nice the chicken was a little dry, despite having the chargrilled taste a little sauce of some sort would have improved the dish slightly.

Dessert was included even though I struggled to finish my main but I opted for the Salted Banoffee Crumble which, I have to say was out of this world, it was so tasty I didn't want to finish even though I felt my sides were to burst!!

The service was fantastic, the staff were so helpful and courteous throughout the evening and nothing was too much trouble, despite having to deal with 14 rowdy hens!!!

Breakfast was served here the following two mornings and there was a great choice from pastries, cereals and a full cooked breakfast.

Within the hotel was also a Starbucks at an additional cost and the Victory Pub and Kitchen which I only really sat in on the Friday evening and despite there not being many guests still up, had a great atmosphere with sports on the screens and football songs playing in the background, a great atmosphere for the current World Cup.

****The Spa****
Included in our deal were 2 x 25 minute spa treatments, I had opted for the radiant facial and back, neck and shoulder massage.

The spa itself is located just off the corridor for some of the hotel rooms so I did find whilst I was having my massage the outside noise was quite distracting, as well as some of the other guests arriving for treatments as you could hear the conversations outside, an improvement would be to move the spa reception away from the treatment rooms.

The treatments themselves were excellent the staff were very attentive and the treatments were as relaxing as expected.

The spas are tastefully decorated and the ambience is relaxing.

****Other Facilities****
There is also a gym at the hotel which is available for guests to use along with the pool, sauna and steam room.

Business facilities are also available at the hotel.

Car parking is available for up to 250 cars and is free of charge.

****Overall Opinion****
The staff are happy to help and I found that there was nothing I could complain about at this hotel, fantastic service, enjoyable food and a really relaxing atmosphere. There was a shop just a 5 minute drive away incase you forgot any essentials and the hotel had everything else that you may need.

The bar was reasonable with lots of offers on drinks which compared to the prices in Chester City centre you were definately getting more for your money there.

So for a comfortable, friendly, relaxing hotel I would recommend here, ideally situated and away from all the noise of the city centre.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank kellylou81
Dear kellylou81,

Many thanks for your very kind review, it is great to read that you all enjoyed yourselves whilst you were here. I hope that you managed to pick some winners at Chester Races.

Our new Verve restaurant menu sounds like it has been a success for you all, this only launched last week so is exciting to hear that is working.

We hope that we see you again soon at St David's for a function or your second overnight stay.

Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

This local venue to us made our wedding day an unforgettable one without doubt!!! Top marks right across the board... Rebecca our coordinator couldn't do enough for us... We had a very small intimate reception for our family of 10 and we were treated the same as if it had been a hundred guests!! We will never forget our wonderful day... Thankyou to everybody that made it so special! From Alison and Andy Amos :-)

Stayed May 2014
Dear Andyalison123,

Firstly congratulations to you both, it is great to read that you had such a wonderful day with us. I will share the feedback that you have given with Rebecca and also with the team that looked after you both on the day.

We really appriciate you taking the time to share your very kind words and hope to see you again very soon.

St Helens
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Took my daughters for spa/ pamper day. Salons & staff superb - all had full body massage and facial. Felt wonderful for it. The 'spa' however was a different story - the jacuzzi was far too small - it got embarrassing when 4 people tried to use it. There were no signs, so I almost walked into the male changing room whilst looking for the sauna. If you book a spa day it's because you want to relax - right? From nowhere there was suddenly pop music blasting, and a very loud arrobics instructor taking a class. Not only that, but The class filled the pool so I couldn't go for a swim. So after what seemed like hours the class finished, a group of mums & tots appeared and they took over the pool! A very disappointing day spa wise - would not return or recommend.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Idontmoan
VillageStDavids, General Manager at Village Hotel Chester St David's, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear Idontmoan,

Many thanks for your review following your spa day with us.

It is great to read that you all had a relaxing time during your spa treatments, I will share your feedback with the team.

I am sorry to read that your didnt enjoy the leisure side of your spa day, I will speak with the spa team as to why this wasnt communicated with you as our classes and children's swim times are pre-advertised.

If you can please email sophie.edwards@village-hotels.com we would be more than happy to discuss your feedback in more detail.

Northop Hall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

The start of the evening after ordering to glasses of wine we was presented with a bill of £16.99!!!!! their was no price list available at the bar, until price was questioned, manager then went into back room an as if by magic placed the price list on the bar .I thought it was the law to have your prices available at all times for customers.
The meal was like school dinners, very basic, and mass produced, The Dirty dancing tribute was a young couple, male an female, and their act was just what I would expect had they just met in the car park for the 1st time, one didn't know what the other was doing.
As if things wasn't bad enough, near the end of the night when the disco started, hotel customers (male) was allowed to gate crash, given this was a hen party night, this was totally out of order, firstly they hadn't paid for this entertainment, and secondly these women had had quite a bit to drink by this time, thus being vulnerable, Lounge lizards these men are called.
I will be turning down any invitation to do with this hotel. Very disappointed.

Room Tip: To have my review posted, I have had to fill in all questions, from sleep quality down that does not...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear valerie g,

Many thanks for your review regarding our recent Dirty Dancing party night. I am sorry to read that you didn't enjoy the evening with us.

I would be very grateful if you would be able to email your contact details to our Events Manager so we can discuss your feedback further.

If you can please email these to heather.speed@village-hotels.com.

Many Thanks,

Travellers are raving about these Ewloe hotels

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

we stayed there for two nights on a special occasion. I booked over the phone. first I expected something special in the room as the operator has asked if we are there for an occasion. but no there wasn't. we upgraded to the upper deck rooms. this is my first stay at Village so can not compare with the standard rooms. the room has a comfortable bed, Starbucks supplies for coffee and tea and a single hot chocolate sachet and a single small biscuit??!!, there was a Bose iPod/iPhone docking station which I couldn't use as it is the one with 30 pins ( not suitable for iPhone 5 /5s , the room comes with non-HD sky movies package and a reasonable speed wifi. the restaurant was OK but almost empty for dinner, breakfast on the other hand was good but not excellent. I can not stop comparing things to Mercure ( in Sheffield) where I stayed in four months earlier and I find Mercure much better I din't get the feeling that the upper deck rooms are bigger but they were clean and there was no noise . the Fried and pouched eggs were on request however we didn't know that till we overheard it mentioned ( we realised that there was a not at the buffet that fried eggs( didn't mention the pouched) are on order. otherwise was happy about the presence of vegetarian sausages. the pool was nice with steam and sauna. the hot tub was closed for the day in between our nights with no prior notice. there was also a good spa treatments on site with well trained professional staff.
would I come again ?? I don't know may be if on a good deal otherwise would try Mercure nearby which I didn't use in the past

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank zafaf
Dear zafaf,

Many thanks for your recent review following your stay with us.

I am sorry to read that we did not manage to fully meet your expectations during your stay. I have spoken with our housekeeping team to ensure that there isnt just the one set of starbucks items available within the room.

I am glad that you enjoyed both the pool and spa elements of your stay as well as the breakfast.

I do hope that you will consider using us again in the future. If you do have dates please do email us directly at the hotel so we can advise of the best available rates.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend stayed here for the night in July. The zoo is a short drive away. The hotel staff were very friendly. Having a Starbucks within the hotel was a bonus. The room was nice and the breakfast was great!. The only downside was that the bed sheets could have been cleaner. Overall very satisfied

Stayed July 2014
Dear James H,

Many thanks for your recent review, your very kind words regarding the team is great to read and I will ensure that the team here at the hotel are aware of the feedback you have shared.

I hope that you had an enjoyable time at the zoo and that you enjoyed the Starbucks.

The feedback that you have mentioned regarding the bed sheets will be shared with our team also.

Many Thanks,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ewloe
Holiday Inn A55 - Chester (West)
Northop Hall Country House Hotel
Beaufort Park Hotel
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
Doubletree by Hilton Chester
Crabwall Manor Hotel & Spa

Been to Village Hotel Chester St David's? Share your experiences!