“Good overnighter”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ewloe
Blackwood, United Kingdom
“Good overnighter”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

This was a business trip, easy location and plenty of on site parking. This is a busy hotel - lots of families as well as business trippers. I had one of the spa rooms - the bed was huge and very comfortable. I had a really good nights sleep however as my room overlooked the main road, I was awake from 5am! Menu in the hotel restaurant is pretty good and reasonably priced, as is the bar. Breakfast is 'ok'. The staff here are very friendly and helpful and I'll happily stay for an overnighter again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that overlooks the central courtyard.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
VillageStDavids, Front Office Manager at Village Hotel Chester St David's, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Dear TyDe_21

Thank you for your recent review.

It is great to read you enjoyed your stay with us, I agree the Sealy Beds in our Upper Deck and King Spa rooms are fantastic.

Thank you also for your kind comments about our staff, we will share this with the whole team.

I hope to welcome you back very soon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014

My organisation have held a number of events at this hotel over the last few years and have found the facility comfortable and extremely capable of holding large events. The most important element was the staff who were first class. Ours was a large conference over a couple of days and the hotel catered well for us in every respect. They dealt with any problems or additional needs with a smile on their faces and were extremely accommodating. We will use them again for this reason.

Room Tip: I don't tthink that there were particular rooms that had any advantage over the rest in terms of...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Rogbach15
Dear Rogbach15,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay here and we hope to welcome you back for your next event.
Doncaster, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This was our second stay at a Village hotel. They are great value for money, have a good gym and pool and a good restaurant. I think the chester one must be an old 3 star hotel that they converted as it's not as good as their hotel in Solihull. The room was nice, but the bed wasn't comfortable and the bathroom looked a little tired. Breakfast on the Sunday morning was a bit of a free for all and took the shine off what was an OK stay for the price.

Room Tip: Don't leave breakfast until the last minute on a Sunday.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
VillageStDavids, Front Office Manager at Village Hotel Chester St David's, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Mark T,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay.

It is lovely to hear that you enjoyed our gym, pool and restaurant and that overall you feel Village Hotels are good value for money.

I am however very sorry to hear about breakfast. On Sunday mornings most of our guests tend to come for breakfast in the last hour meaning it does get busy at this time. We do try to encourage guests to come down for breakfast before 9.30am if they require a more leisurely breakfast.

We do hope to welcome you back again soon.
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

A very busy Hotel but the service was outstanding, the food excellent and the facilities good.

The staff in the Victory Bar were friendly, welcoming and went out of their way to provide good service, our dinner waitress was friendly, helpful and attentive without being obtrusive and the breakfast team were very efficient.

Our room was extremely comfortable and the bathroom spotlessly clean (I am a bit sad - I ALWAYS check!).

There are just two very small issues that could improve the provision - we had an Upper Deck room which was slightly larger and had a sofa in it. There was an excellent room service menu but, had we chosen to eat in our room, apart from the desk/dressing table with one chair, there was only the bed to eat on. A coffee table is a must in these rooms.

Secondly, even the simplest B&B's have leaflets and details of local attractions - there's lots to do in and around Chester but there was absolutely NO SIGN of any information about them. It's fine to ask the Receptionists who couldn't have been more helpful but it they're busy, they don't want people taking up time asking about places to visit or seeking directions. This may have been a conscious decision by the DeVere chain but in my opinion the wrong one! I've highlighted shopping and landmarks as local attractions but there could be kids activities - who knows, there were no leaflets to see this!!

Overall definitely worth staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: If you're wanting a lie in you might want to ask for a room that doesn't look over the inner...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear hopkins_s2,

Thank you for your wonderful review, we are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, your comments have been shared with the team.

I am sorry you did not get any tourist information leaflets, reception have the information and are always willing to help you out with advice.

Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Rowley Regis, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We stayed here last April for my boyfriends birthday - we are familiar with village hotels and we got an easter deal from late rooms. The hotel allows members to use the fitness facilities and there is a pub/resteraunt and starbucks situated in the hotel. Our room was modern and had lovely furniture and it made our stay more enjoyable. Id recommend this hotel if you are looking for a break in Chester.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review.

We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for recommending us to others.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
South Wales
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We recently stayed here for a hen weekend and really enjoyed. The rooms were large as was the en suite. Situated approx 15mins from Chester by taxi it was an idea base for us as we were going to Chester races. The breakfast was nice with plenty of choice. We also had a chance to use the spa which was also nice. The staff were very friendly and welcoming on reception, starbucks and in the spa. The only downside is there is no air conditioning and the rooms were very hot, as such I didn't sleep very well at all, and with the close proximity of our room to the road it was impossible to leave the window open and sleep. We were provided with a fan but this had little effect. Overall a nice hotel with reasonable rates ideal for what we needed.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the garden rather than facing the road which is noisy.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
VillageStDavids, General Manager at Village Hotel Chester St David's, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Benfelen,

Many thanks for your recent review following the hen weekend that you recently had with us. I hope that you all picked some winners at Chester Races. I am sorry to read that the heat of the room stopped your from sleeping as well as we would hope, it is great to read that you did enjoy the rest of your stay though.

We hope that we see you all again at St David's in the near future.

Many Thanks
Flintshire,
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Living within a close proximity of this hotel I have visited on several occasions for Weddings and other functions however this is my first time as an overnight guest.

I was in charge of arranging my best friend's hen party and when she decided that she wanted to go to Chester Races I started looking for hotels to book our party of 14. Starting in the City Centre the prices were very high if available so I started looking on the outskirts and decided upon this venue.

De Vere St David's Park despite being named as a Chester Hotel is actually located in North Wales just a 15-20 minute journey away from Chester City Centre so is actually well located for a cheaper alternative when wanting to visit the races and stay over.

****Location****
The hotel is located just off the A494 Expressway in a small village called Ewloe. It is close to Broughton and Chester City Centre so ideally situated for Chester Racecourse and Chester City Centre.
Despite its name it is located in North Wales which when travelling further afield has caused confusion when the sat nav takes you into Wales and you believe the hotel to be in Chester!

****The Booking****
I didn't actually make the booking with the hotel using a company called Spa Breaks as they actually offered a lower price and option of a deposit.
The booking was straight forward with the deposit being paid over the phone with a debit card and the balance being paid a few weeks prior to the stay.
We booked 7 twin rooms which included an evening meal on the Friday Night at the Verve Restaurant and breakfast on the 2 mornings and 2 treatments in the spa of 25 minutes per treatment all for £149.00 per person which was a very good deal considering the races were on.

****Arriving at the Hotel****
As the group organiser I was the first to arrive at the hotel for our weekend and after contacting the hotel prior to arriving I had asked if they could decorate the table for our guests, they really exceeded my expectations here as they scattered the table confetti and even inflated some of the balloons we had brought along. The result meant the bride was really impressed with how it had been set out.

I checked in to the hotel and was offered a wake up call and morning paper.
They confirmed that the evening meal was to be served in the Verve Restaurant and that breakfast would also be served there between 8am and 10.30am.
I was also informed that as a guest free wifi was available throughout the hotel.

****The Room****
As I had a treatment booked for 4pm I quickly dropped my bag into the room and had a nosy around, the room was a twin room but was decorated in a fairly modern manner with dark woods and deep reds and purples, it felt homely and the room was clean with basic amenities such as hairdrier, tea and coffee making facilities, tv and telephone.

The bathroom was a little outdated with older bathroom tiles that didn't quite match the modern feel in the bedroom, there was also signs of mould in the grout in the tiles which made you think that the bathrooms had not yet been updated.
The bathroom was relatively spacious with a bath with overhead shower and a spacious vanity area with basic amenities.

A wardrobe contained the ironing board and iron and several hangers inside.

The bed was extremely comfortable as it was Sealy Posturepedic, beds I always approve of when staying away from home.

The room itself was very dark especially when the curtains were closed but I was able to get a really good night's sleep.

****The Restaurant****
As previously mentioned we were booked into The Verve for our evening meal and included in the price of our stay was the set menu.

For an additional cost we had Garlic Flatbread and Mixed Olives to nibble on whilst we waited for our starters and the Garlic Flatbread was very tasty.

I opted for the Goat's Cheese, Poached Pear and Beetroot Salad which came with a £2 supplement, it was worth it. There was a decent sized portion of Goat's Cheese and the beetroot and pear complemented it perfectly.

For my main course I opted for the Double Chicken Breast with the lemon and thyme flavour which was served with fries, tomato and a flat mushroom, although it was nice the chicken was a little dry, despite having the chargrilled taste a little sauce of some sort would have improved the dish slightly.

Dessert was included even though I struggled to finish my main but I opted for the Salted Banoffee Crumble which, I have to say was out of this world, it was so tasty I didn't want to finish even though I felt my sides were to burst!!

The service was fantastic, the staff were so helpful and courteous throughout the evening and nothing was too much trouble, despite having to deal with 14 rowdy hens!!!

Breakfast was served here the following two mornings and there was a great choice from pastries, cereals and a full cooked breakfast.

Within the hotel was also a Starbucks at an additional cost and the Victory Pub and Kitchen which I only really sat in on the Friday evening and despite there not being many guests still up, had a great atmosphere with sports on the screens and football songs playing in the background, a great atmosphere for the current World Cup.

****The Spa****
Included in our deal were 2 x 25 minute spa treatments, I had opted for the radiant facial and back, neck and shoulder massage.

The spa itself is located just off the corridor for some of the hotel rooms so I did find whilst I was having my massage the outside noise was quite distracting, as well as some of the other guests arriving for treatments as you could hear the conversations outside, an improvement would be to move the spa reception away from the treatment rooms.

The treatments themselves were excellent the staff were very attentive and the treatments were as relaxing as expected.

The spas are tastefully decorated and the ambience is relaxing.

****Other Facilities****
There is also a gym at the hotel which is available for guests to use along with the pool, sauna and steam room.

Business facilities are also available at the hotel.

Car parking is available for up to 250 cars and is free of charge.

****Overall Opinion****
The staff are happy to help and I found that there was nothing I could complain about at this hotel, fantastic service, enjoyable food and a really relaxing atmosphere. There was a shop just a 5 minute drive away incase you forgot any essentials and the hotel had everything else that you may need.

The bar was reasonable with lots of offers on drinks which compared to the prices in Chester City centre you were definately getting more for your money there.

So for a comfortable, friendly, relaxing hotel I would recommend here, ideally situated and away from all the noise of the city centre.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank kellylou81
Dear kellylou81,

Many thanks for your very kind review, it is great to read that you all enjoyed yourselves whilst you were here. I hope that you managed to pick some winners at Chester Races.

Our new Verve restaurant menu sounds like it has been a success for you all, this only launched last week so is exciting to hear that is working.

We hope that we see you again soon at St David's for a function or your second overnight stay.

Many Thanks
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ewloe
Holiday Inn A55 - Chester (West)
Northop Hall Country House Hotel
Beaufort Park Hotel
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
Doubletree by Hilton Chester
Crabwall Manor Hotel & Spa

Been to Village Hotel Chester St David's? Share your experiences!