“Tasty tapas”

Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Tapas Restaurant
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Very tasty tapas and friendly service, worth a visit. They also now do an all you can eat offer which is very good value for money.

2  Thank Gail M

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Visited here a few weeks ago as we have family in the area. I have reviewed this place before and I was unconvinced then, I think it is actually gone backwards since. Before I start i would like to point out that I am familiar with tapas and as you can see from my reviews i feel i am very fair, certainly not a knit picking reviewer that you get occasionally on this site.

First of all we went for the a la carte menu. I can't comment on the special offer nights, this may offer better value for money? Nevertheless the weekend trade is a restaurants bread and butter.

Service was good. The young lady who served us was polite, prompt and knowledgeable. A major plus point. There were only a few tables in (we come early) but we were twice served the wrong dish by the older gentleman (spanish?)

The food.... Average. The Chorizo and Iberico was good, as were the patatas picantes. To be honest though this is really simple cooking and if you can't get this right it is time to pack in! The cauliflower tempura is not tempura. It is too dense a batter. The fish platter was a bit tasteless and needed seasoning. At £9 this has to be better. The desserts were good. I did enjoy the churros and the cheeseboard, though expensive is good. Overall though it is uninspiring. I don't detect a great deal of passion for the product. Not like when the place was '56' I think the change has a lot to do with the mark up on the food now...

The price.... This is the main problem really. Take for example the manchego dish. £5.50 for four triangles (about 5mm thick) is daylight robbery. The mark up must be 8 or 9 times the cost. At least. As someone who has managed restaurants in the past this is extortionate. I think this holds the key to the change in the style of cooking here....

Overall this is just another examples of the 'restaurantisation' of Tapas. It is supposed to be simple cooking. A lot of owners are seeing pound signs now though as the mark up they can make is tremendous. Portion sizes are poor and cost is high. Added to this is a total lack of passion. The restaurant has no ambiance and is not designed to be a tapas bar. Would not return.

The Delyn wine bar is a more traditional and far more adequately priced venue. It has a passion that this place lacks. Sadly I also think the offering in La Tasca etc. is better value than here. Such as shame as '56 high street' was so good.

1  Thank Southall202101
DaveBartWrexham, Manager at El Tomate, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Thank you for your recent visit of our establishment.
The management of El Tomate carefully read both of your comments and we are actually very pleased that you enjoyed the decor, the food presentation, the prompt service, the deserts and several dishes including the chourizo, patatas picante, the Iberico ham and finally the cheese board.
In regards to the bad points, we will fix the cauliflower and make sure all the tables have salt and pepper for your fish.

Once more we kindly thank you for your custom.

Regards

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Thank you again for such a lovely choice of tapas at a special work-leaving event that fitted nicely into the special £10 tapas evening too ! So much to choose from and nice to see people sharing great food and trying things that they enjoyed for the first time as some were more used to meat/fish and veg in one go only.The banter was great as they discussed " what's in this" and got around to choosing, from the numerous sample dishes, their own final preferences.

The seafood and vegetable paellas were big hits for most and I also loved the spicy fried potatoes with chilli and peppers, creamy roasted garlic mushrooms, mackerel pate with tortilla chips and mussels , clams, calamari , onions , garlic and herb dishes too. Their sweets are fab if you have room for this on a traditional evening there and so pretty that it is difficult to break into them and a trio is a good idea to share between two when I have visited before.

I love traditional Spanish tapas and Greek mezes anyway when abroad but am also a fish-and-chips, roast-dinner-girl too when cooked well. If you are like me , El Tomate will not disappoint !

2  Thank NthWalesFoodiefan
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Dined here last night and the staff were accommodating and friendly so service is good. The ambience was also good and felt authentically Spanish but unfortunately the food was a bit disappointing. We ordered lots of tapas which looked good but they didn't taste authentically Spanish and were just 'ok'. I do have to say that this restaurant is better than the Spanish chain restaurants though.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

i have been to el tomate many times now and i have to say the service and food is fantastic; a wonderful experience every time and is by the far one of the best restaurants in mold, i always recommend this place to anybody who asks for somewhere to eat! ignore any nasty comments on this site as the management is very accommodating and pleasant!
great food portions and priced well.

3  Thank Bashle