“Expected more for the price”

Northop Hall Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Northop Hall
“Expected more for the price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

Stayed here because it was convenient for a family trip that included a visit to Wepre Park.
Lovely looking hotel, in nice scenic grounds. Well signposted. Rooms varied. Mine was large and airy and well decorated. Shower was very powerful! Tea, hot chocolate and coffee with biscuits provided and hair drier in room. Flat screen tv with free view, an amazingly comfy bed! Unfortunately when our neighbours went to the toilet at 3am if sounded as if the room was about to explode when they pulled the chain! A few problems in the corridor with daddy long legs - the corridor was full of them! I am not squeamish but I can imagine that this might concern some people! Breakfast was brilliant and had everything you could possibly want on a buffet basis. Did not do family room that I am aware of so had to pay for two rooms for myself, my mum and my 6 year old daughter which bumped the price up somewhat! Enjoyed my stay though and would consider staying there again.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

We stopped here as part of a wedding package, The drive up to the hotel is impressive, the grounds were nicely kept.
My daughter was doing all the wedding hair so we had to arrive early.

Play area in gardens
We had our 2 year old grandaughter with us and had to keep her entertained until the wedding in the afternoon but I'm affraid to say that the play area is not acceptable for that age of child (may be a little investment in play equipment for the younger child would help).

The Wedding venue
This was well organised, food was good, drinks prices were on par with most hotel prices (a little on the high side) the evening entertainment was good & buffet was good.

Our Rooms
Sorry but this was a let down, bathroom needed updating looking very tired, safes did not work, dirty chipped mugs for tea and coffee in rooms, room needs to be altered and also modernising to bring it up to a reasonable standard especially for the price we paid for the room.
We had stopped the 2 previous nights in a guest house in Chester & the rooms there were excellent you could not fault them they were far superior to the rooms at Northrop hall hotel.

Self service Breakfast
Not the best we've had a lot better sorry to say the guest house we stopped in the couple of nights previously the breakfast was far superiour and a lot more to choice.

Hotel it's self
Yes it's an old building which needs some investment & needs to be updated to bring it up to a more acceptable standard which today's customers expect from a 3 star hotel

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
tony_holland, Owner at Northop Hall Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Dear Andy

Thank you for your review.

Play area in gardens - I have looked at the climbing frame in the garden and agree that it is not suitable for a 2 year old - we welcome families with children and we are conscious of the health & safetey issue, therefore there are signs in the lobby and on the climbing frame and by the swing to advise parents that we advise chilren are supervised at all times - as there are a number of areas around the hotel which could be a hazard including the woodland.

The wedding - I was pleased you enjoyed the wedding reception.

Bedrooms - I was sorry to see you were not happy with your bedroom - we are constantly improving our room and have decorated and refurbed 10 rooms so far this year, this requires a significant investment, and we are committed to continuing improvements during the coming year.

The hotel needs constant investment, which as with our bedrooms we will continue improving - in line with the business demands.

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit.

Island of Anglesey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

We took on the Chester Zoo package and were very very pleased with everything from start to finish. Staff were friendly and all in all it was excellent value for a one night break away. Have recommended this venue and package to all my friends. The put up beds could be a bit sturdier and a deeper mattress - our 12 year old daughter's feet fell through the bottom and hubby had to sleep on the floor for the night!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear Heidi

Thank you for this revue, we are pleased you enjoyed your visit.

I was sorry to see you had a problem with the bed for your daughter - the Z beds are really only suitable for young children, we do have adjoining family rooms with inter connecting doors which probably better for families with older children.

We look forward to welcoming back on future visits to North Wales.

N.Wales UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

My husband and I stayed here recently for a friends wedding. Everything was just perfect from start to finish.
The venue was just the right size and was very nicely decorated. After the marriage ceremony we were able to check into our rooms (check in from 2pm). The room was a decent size with the usual complimentary tea and coffee and toiletries in the room. There was an iron and ironing board in the wardrobe as well as a safe (we didn't need them as we were only there for the night but handy to know they are in the room). The coffee was much appreciated in the morning after a night of partying lol. The bathroom was an ok size but it was very clean and had plenty of clean towels and hot water.
The food at the wedding was very nice indeed. The soup to start was beautiful and I would have happily licked the bowl had I not been in company (well I wouldn't have but that's how nice it was lol). The two main meals on offer were roast chicken or roast beef. I had the chicken which was very nice but have to say after seeing my husbands roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, I was sorry I hadn't ordered that instead. He said his meal was lovely and trust me with a fussy hubby like mine, that's saying something. There was plenty of vegetables and potatoes to go with the mains too and nobody would have left the table hungry. Dessert, once again, was lovely. I had the cheesecake (although I was struggling by this time to eat any more) and hubby had the profiteroles. Finished off with coffee or tea. Definitely one of the nicest meals I've had at a wedding.
The bar prices are a bit steep at nearly 10 pounds a round for two drinks but that's to be expected these days in a hotel so it didn't really bother us too much. We were there to celebrate our friends wedding so we were going to do it in style. The staff throughout the day were lovely. Even allowing me to pay my bill at the end of the night when the card machine was going a bit slow but it was fine and the staff on reception said it wasn't a problem. And at 50 pounds for the night we were really impressed with this hotel. One thing though was that we couldn't get into our room and my husband had to go back to reception 3 times and change the key card. It was actually the doors that needed to be recharged but that was all done whilst we were sitting in the bar so it wasn't really a problem.
The grounds of the hotel are beautiful and just perfect for all the wedding photos and there was a nice area to sit out as a lot of people did with it being a nice night.
Overall we had a fantastic stay here even it is was only for the one night but my husband's so impressed that he's promised to take me back and treat me to a meal at their restaurant, Chequers.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank HEVER
tony_holland, Owner at Northop Hall Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for this great review, I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your visit.

Please accept my apologies for the problem with the bedroom door lock - as a rule these work very well, I am not sure why there should be a problem - especially if the lock eventually worked ok.

We look forward to welcoming you on many future visits to stay or use our restaurant.

yours sincerely
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

The drive up to the hotel, exterior and public rooms are very nice. Having paid the discounted wedding price of £99, i was then excited to see our room, as this I think is quite expensive for a nightly room rate. I can safely say I was very disappointed. The room ,304, was In desperate need of up dating. A bed, desk which housed a small telly and a random leather small chair. if you say in a travellodge you know what you are getting for your money. And to be far we would have rather stayed in one of those.

My other main point was the cost of drinks, 2 pints cost us £9 which is what you end up talking about not the amazing wedding we attended.

I think this hotel is trying to be something it's not. It has potential but until then they should lower the room prices to around the £50 mark and definitely re think their bar prices/profit.

To end on a positive note breakfast was definitely worth it.
Good quality and variety.

• Stayed August 2013
tony_holland, Owner at Northop Hall Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Dear Tangerinelossie,

Thank you for your review, I was pleased to see you liked the grounds and public areas and enjoyed the wedding you were attending as well as breakfast at Northop Hall.

We are sorry you did not feel the bedroom you occupied was not value for money, and comparing us to the cost of a room at a budget hotel.

The cost of running and maintaining a property of this type is not comparable with a budget hotel, which do not offer the previously mentioned facilities or indeed a bar, where you feel our bar prices are not value for money. The most expensive beer we sell is San Miguel at £4.15 a pint - this is a premium lager which is dearer than other beers, and it is likely you would pay less in a pub.

Thank you for your comments.

Llandudno, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

Amazing! Every member of staff from Charles who organized things with us from start to finish to ever member of the bar staff were great. We had our amazing wedding day in July 2013 here and we could fault the service provided from the hotel. Every guest commented on how nice their room's were, and the food was brilliant. The prices for the room's were very good value too!

Cant fault the hotel!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear dyoung87

Thank you for your great review following your wedding reception, we were delighted to see your special day went so well, and you and your guests enjoyed yourselves.

Your kind comments will be appreciated by everyone here and we look forward to welcoming on many future visits.

Best wishes for the future.

Wrexham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

we held our wedding here in july this year from the ceremony to night do we had a fantastic day the staff couldn't do enough to help the food was excelent and the setting was lovely every thing we asked for was catered for a big thank you to all the staff who helped make the day run smoothly i would definately recomend northop hall to any one thinking of getting married

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear Tacey B

Thank you for your great review following your wedding, we were delighted to see everthing went so well for you and your guests.

As you know a lot of time and work goes into planning such a special occasion and the team here appreciate your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back here on many future visits.

Many thanks
Tony
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northop Hall
Beaufort Park Hotel
Holiday Inn A55 - Chester (West)
Soughton Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Pentre Halkyn
Mountain Park Hotel
Mountain Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Flint

Been to Northop Hall Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!