“Mixed Thoughts”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Northop Hall
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“Mixed Thoughts”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

Rooms are very old fashioned and basic.
Service was not the best when having checked in we went to the bar for an afternoon drink.
Likewise having booked a table for the evening meal at a specific time i had to go and look for somebody to take our order almost 15 minutes later.
In fairness the food was excellent.
Very substantial breakfast the next morning also.
I would stay again but the staff were all very young and perhaps an older more experienced member of staff overseeing things would of prevented the service issues.
Hotel grounds are lovely i must add.
Ample parking
Reasonably priced.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Rob C C C
tony_holland, Owner at Northop Hall Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear Rob CCC,

Thank you for your review following your recent visit.

I was sorry to read you had 'mixed thoughts' and have taken note of your comments.

We are costantly improving our bedrooms, when there is time and funds available, as to decorate and refurb a bedroom usually takes about 2 weeks, which is a problem when we are busy.

We have a good mix of ages of our staff, as you would expect, indeed our Restaurant Manager is in advacing years - sounds like he was off duty at the time of your visit!!! - but when he is here is frequently mentioned in guests reviews.

I hope we may welcome you on future visits to North Wales, when you will find an improvement in the areas you mentioned.

Yours sincerely,

Tony Holland

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

We booked to stay here for 3 nights as part of my birthday celebrations and it ticked all the boxes.We wanted somewhere in an idyllic location but still close enough to Chester and North Wales,somewhere dog friendly and good value for money and having read past reviews this seemed the ideal place, but in fact it exceeded our expectations.From the initial telephone enquiry up to checking out all the staff could not do enough to make our stay very enjoyable.We stayed in a superior double on the ground floor and I have never seen such a large bed,the room was spacious and clean with all the amenities you would want.We ate in the restaurant on our arrival and thought the food was well cooked with quality ingredients at a reasonable price.Breakfast was delicious with plenty of choice and large portions it really set us up for the day.All the staff were great but a special mention must go to Amy on reception who was so helpful with our booking and even kept an eye on our dog when we went out for dinner and to Steve in the restaurant who is a real character.All in all a lovely hotel and we look forward to returning soon.

Room Tip: Choose a superior double
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear robcal64,

Thank you for your fabulous review, I was delighted to see you enjoyed your visit, and even exceeded your expectations.

The team here at Northop do work hard to look after our guests, as I would expect, however it is good to hear that you found that some went the extra mile to look after you during your visit.

We do welcome guests that want to bring their well behaved dogs with them, with some reasonable house rules that most owners respect and appreciate, as we are also dog lovers, and will frequently see a labrador around the hotel!

We look forward to welcoming you on many future visits.

Once again thank you for taking the time to give this review.

Kind regards,

Chester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

We have been to Northop Hall in the past and were so impressed with the food we came back for Mothers day. Sadly it was very clear this was a pack em in and kick em out type day and menu. The selection was limited. My daughter asked if she could have chicken without sauce and was told no it was already made up. As a party of 7 the quantity of vegetables was inadequate and we had to ask for more. While waiting our main courses went cold. The staff were trying to do their best were clearly over stretched by the amount booked in and had lack of direction.The strawberry pavlova was pathetic and consisted of a meringue nest, squirt y cream and a few slices of strawberry Can be bought at Aldi for pennies. The bill took forever to arrive and I dont think anyone would have noticed if we just walked out. We were given chocolates as presents for the mothers on paying but frankly they should have invested that money in extra staff and a more quality menu. Lovely setting but then there are lots of those out there. will think again before we go back.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank blackbinbags
Dear blackbinbags,

Thank you for your review following your visit to our restarant on Mothers Day.

I was so sorry you did not enjoy your visit on this occassion, whilst Mothers Day is a very busy day, there is no excuse for a fall in both service and food quality.

Please accept my sincere apologies for your disappointing visit on this occasion, I hope you may reconsider visiting again as generally we receive good feedback from our guests, however I assure you take all comments very seriously.

Yours sincerely,

Oswestry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

Simply perfect

What can I say about Northop Hall other than how fantastic a place it is! My wife and I have just got married there (22nd March 2014) and I can honestly say that we couldn't have asked for a better place to have our wedding. The hotel and grounds are fantastic. The hotel itself sports an impressive staircase when you first enter as well as a great selection of rooms; from the wood panelled bar,with open fire, to the spacious restaurant.

Obviously, we stayed in the Bridal suite and loved the four-poster bed and old style feel. The bar has a great selection of beers, ales, and as one reviewer has noted, whiskeys.

The food is just as good and all our guests commented on how great both dinner and breakfast were.

Finally, I must say that the staff were nothing short of fantastic. They were friendly, helpful and nothing was too much hassle for them - they genuinely cared about making our day as happy as possible. A special mention should be made about Dot and Sam who worked tirelessly to ensure that everything went smoothly.

Overall my wife and I can't recommend it enough.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike M
Dear Mike M,

Thank you for your great review and your kind comments which will be appreciated by everyone, especially Dot and Sam.

We do have a great team here who as you rightly say genuinely care about all ourr guests.

We look forward to welcoming you and your guests on many future visits, and hope I may be able to thank you personally for your kind comments.

Best wishes to you both for the future.

kind regards,

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

First of all, there is nothing wrong with this place, especially for the price i've paid.
However, the good points (and there are many) got spoiled by a few things which i don't expect in such a place.
Reception and staff are very friendly and helpful, they tried their very best to sort a non working door lock.
But when i went to the restaurant i waited quite a while to be seated, since no one turned up i went to the reception to get attention, but even then it took quite a while until someone turned up.
Similar situation at breakfast, quicker but still a bit on the slow side.
However, dinner & breakfast were excellent.
The bar has a huge selection of rare Malt Whiskies, that alone is worth a visit.
So far so good, but the guy behind the bar told me that he hasn't got a clue about Whisky,....
Room was clean, shower got plenty of hot water and windows do open,
together with ample parking and free WiFi it makes it a good place to stay, at least for me.
Reading other reviews, i am led to believe that it was just one of these days where things go wrong all day long, therefore i would certainly stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Mike989,

Thank you for your recent review following your stay with us.

I was pleased to read the positive points you made.

I was diappointed to see there were service issues in our Chequers Restaurant, which I cannot explain as we always have at least one member of staff throughout the day to look after our guests for lounge and restaurant service - clearly there was a shortcoming at the time of your visit for which I apologise.

I was pleased to see you liked our extensive malt collection, which is a popular feature in our Lounge Bar and enjoyed by many of our guests. We are currently compiling a Malt Whisky List and further training of our bar staff. I would hazard a guess that you were served by a part time barman, who sadly may not have the knowledge of the malts but shuold at least attempt to help you make a choice.

We look forward to welcoming you on future visits and trust you will find some improvements.

once again, thank you.

Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

Returned to the hotel to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary. A year ago we had a fabulous day here - and today I'm sat having breakfast after another wonderful visit. We were made to feel very special - attentive and caring staff, lovely food and a great environment to relax.
We were greeted with a card from the hotel and nothing we asked for was too much trouble.
The hotel is a little gem and we look forward to celebrating many more anniversaries at Northop Hall Country House hotel.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Smithies1710
tony_holland, Owner at Northop Hall Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 8 February 2014
Dear Smithies1710,

Thank you so much for your great review following your first anniversary visit.
Your kind comments will be appreciated by all the team here, who do go the extra mile to look after our guests.
We look forward to welcoming you on many visits in the future.

Best wishes,
Netley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed here on a recent business trip to North Wales. The hotel was extremely quiet but I guess that is to be expected mid week in January!

The staff were extremely pleasant and the room rate was fair.

I had a good sized room but found it slightly cold and could have done with some care paid to the bathroom.

The food in the restaurant was of a good standard and overall I was very pleased with my stay.

I would come back again if I were in the area.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Warren O
Dear Warren O,
Thank you for your recent review following your overnight stay with us.
We were pleased to see that overall you enjoyed your visit, and in particular you enjoyed your meal in our restaurant.
Thank you also for a special mention about our team here who do work very hard to look after our guests - your kind comments will be much appreciated.
We look forward to welcoming you on future visits to North Wales.
Thank you for taking the time to give give feedback which is always welcome.

Kind regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northop Hall
Beaufort Park Hotel
Holiday Inn A55 - Chester (West)
Soughton Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Pentre Halkyn
Mountain Park Hotel
Mountain Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Flint

Been to Northop Hall Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!