“We had a Ball”

Northop Hall Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Northop Hall
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We had a ball here recently. The hotel itself is a beautiful country hotel with beautiful views. It also has an open fire which really is cosy. The staff were so kind and efficient. The food was lovely too. The event room we used for our ball was charming and the staff were so friendly, helpful and eager to please on the night. I liaised with the Manager Charlotte Holland and she was a pleasure to do business with. Hence we will be back for our Christmas party in December. My opinion is no matter whether it's business or pleasure I would recommend this hotel and restaurant. It's also good value for money. Thank you all so much.
Best wishes, LInda Kelly.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
tony_holland, Owner at Northop Hall Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Dear Linda K

Thank you for your great review, we were delighted to hear you and your party enjoyed your recent event. As you know a lot of work goes into arranging an event, by both the organisers and the 'Team' here at the hotel, and it is always a bonus to get great feedback.

We look forward to seeing you all later in the year for your next party.

Once again thank you for your recommendation.

There are newer reviews for Northop Hall Country House Hotel

Reviewed 19 May 2014

We recently celebrated our wedding reception here, what an amazing venue! We can not praise the staff enough for their attentiveness, professionalism and dedication to ensure the day went without a hitch. The food was excellent, both for the wedding breakfast and the hog roast in the evening. Thanks especially to Dot Wallace, Jonathan and Amy, who went above and beyond their duty. The location is idyllic, giving lots of opportunity for beautiful pictures.

Stayed: May 2014
tony_holland, Owner at Northop Hall Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear Dan J

Thank you for your great review following you recent wedding at Northop Hall, I was delighted to read your kind comments, and pleased all the arrangements went so well.

Thank you for your special mention of some of the key people that helped make your 'special day' go so well. All the 'Team' here work extremely hard to make the big day run smoothly.

We look forward to welcoming you and your guests on many future occasions.

Best wishes for the future.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

A beautiful hotel set in lovely grounds. Staff were business like rather than friendly but my stay went well and I would have recommended it highly but for the fact that once I was home again I received an email telling me I had been smoking in my room and they were deducting £50 from my account. I asked for an explanation but received no further communication from them.
I wouldn't mind if I had been smoking in my room but I had made an effort to go down to the grounds to smoke. I mean effort because I was recovering from a heart attack. (I know, shouldn't have been smoking at all).
Very disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank kevin g

Dear Kevin g

Thank you for posting your recent review following your visit last August - 9 months ago!

I have investigated your comments with Reception and Housekeeping and do recall being kept abreast of the matter at the time.

We do have a No Smoking policy throughout Northop Hall including bedrooms, this is in the interest of fellow guests comfort/cleaning of rooms after being occupied by a smoker and more importantly that of safety to avoid accidental fire, if guests smoke in bed.

We do advise guests that should we find a guest has smoked in their room we may levy a charge of up to £50. This covers the cost of additional cleaning required before the room can be re-let, which on occasions means the room is out of use for a couple of days, whilst deep cleaning takes place, which was the case with the room you occupied.

I have been shown the correspondence between our hotel and yourself which clearly states you are a non-smoker due to health issues, this is at odds with your review which states you went outside to smoke, which of course you are welcome to do if you so choose.

I am sorry you feel this charge is not justified, however my findings clearly indicate you did smoke in your room, contrary to a very reasonable house rule, and we will in future charge guests if they choose to ignore a polite request.

Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Booked a special 60th birthday afternoon tea. I spoke to reception on 2 occasions before the date to ensure that they were aware that it was special for my Mum. I had driven 2 hours with my 7 year old daughter for the special treat. Picked up my Mum and was really looking forward to a lovely, memorable afternoon. When we arrived the reception staff look confused but asked us to wait in the lounge (to sit on a ripped Chesterfield). After 10 minutes (with no offer of a drink) we were asked to go to our table. We were taken to a small table in a thoroughfare next to the bar. The table was 'decorated' with a folded up piece of A4 which someone had scribbled 'Happy birthday'. I thought this was a joke. I quietly asked to be moved away from the bar into the conservatory with an appropriately decorated table, as discussed, with some balloons and flowers. The 'manager' said that we couldn't move because they had booked the dining room out to another party and they weren't expecting us, despite myself speaking to the receptionist the day before confirming details. I was offered a glass of premium cava for the inconvenience! A completely incompetent bunch of buffoons. Needless to say, we left and went to a competent and much more up market establishment in Chester. Really regretted going and wasting valuable family time on Mums special day. Steer clear.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Claire R
tony_holland, Owner at Northop Hall Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear Claire R

We were sorry to read your review. I have spoken to the members of staff that dealt with your booking, which we had booked for the following day, I am not sure if this was your error or ours? with all the details as you described. On the day you arrived we did have a private lunch in Chequers Restaurant ( possibly the 'Conservatory' that you referred to? ) We frequently serve afternoon tea in the main lounge, which is not a 'thoroughfare', but a comfortable lounge with a log fire.

I object to your comment about our staff who did attempt to look after you, being referred to as 'baffoons' who did their best to look after you, and you chose to go elsewhere. I hope you enjoyed your day.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

The setting for my grandaughter's wedding was a pleasing small "Hall" overlooking a lawned area amongst trees with a small patio for sitting out.The extension of an excellent Restaurant was in keeping with the building and was well managed with attentive staff.The organisation was smooth and flowed well .As I was on my own in my comfy room I had reason to ask the housekeeper for help.She was quick and pleasant keeping a special eye on me . Our corridor of rooms was a lengthy trek up and downstairs but luckily a fire escape allowed a short trip to the front door weather permitting.The carpets in the main hallway and stairs need renewing but the staff are friendly and work hard to maintain tidiness

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Margaret R

Thank you for your great review following the recent wedding reception. We were pleased to see that the big day went well and you all enjoyed your visit.

Some of our bedrooms in the bedroom wing are some distance from Reception, however all our guests should be offered assistance with their luggage if required - I hope this was the case at the time of your visit.

I acknowledge that the carpets in Reception and stairs are due for replacement, and in normal circumstances would have been done by now, however in recent times during the recession we have had to prioritise such work, and we have been refurbishing bedrooms which includes new carpets and soft furnishings as part of the scheme.

When time and finances allow we will continue to make improvements to Northop Hall.

Many thanks for all your kind comments, we look forward to welcoming you and fellow guests on many future visits.

Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

We had a fantastic wedding day at Northop country house hotel the venue is outstanding and the staff are excellent especially Dot Wallace and Sam. The whole day was exactly what we had hoped for and more the team in the hotel could not do enough for us and our wedding party. We would recommend the hotel to anyone and would just like to say a big thank you to you all.
Brian & Jane

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Bjmarti

Dear Bjmarti,

Thank you for your great review following your recent wedding, we were delighted to see you had a good day and the 'Team' looked after you and your guests.

We look forward to welcoming you and your guests on many future occasions.

Best wishes to you both for the future.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

The memory of the springs of the geriatric mattress on our bed is all too clear a memory. I thought we had been upgraded when we pitched up in four poster room...quite the opposite. I have slept in tents and been more comfortable. You could feel each spring digging into you and despite being worn out after a long walk, and the countryside being quiet, I was awake for well into the night. You risked pinching your flesh as you got out of the high sided bed which was more like a hammock than a bed. I was sorely tempted to ask for a different room but at 1.00 a.m. ...who wants to be swapping rooms. I did politely complain at check out and despite having my number there was no call of apology. So I don't expect to see proprietor comments of "if only you had raised this with us."

Bathroom tired and shabby. No heating in it ..unless it was provided by the strobing on off halogen light

Breakfast was grim..crossants were off..I presume the the bacon was deep fried..although it could have been under a heat lamp for 30 minutes. On the other hand the black pudding was luke warm. Poached eggs were cooked properly. One cup of coffee and no top ups offered despite there being only about 8 people in the dining room.

Saw the Travelodge as we left and just knew this would have been a better option. Very disappointed..especially as we went for food at the hotel I skipped over for this one and it was really lovely. Don't waste your time at Northop Hall.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sevif
tony_holland, Owner at Northop Hall Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Dear Sevifmanchester.

Thank you for your review following your recent visit.

I was sorry to hear there was a problem with the four poster bedroom you occupied.

This bedroom was refurbished last year and usually we replace the bed mattress at the time of refurb. At the completion of the refurb we have personally stayed in this room, in order to snag any problems and we did not share your recent experience. However in light of your comments we have ordered a new mattress. Guests usually enjoy staying in our four poster rooms.

I was surprised you were also not happy with the bathroom.

We are constantly improving our bedrooms and will continue to do so in the future.

I have noted your comments about breakfast, and if the food was overcooked wonder if you asked for this to be changed as the menu states we are happy to cook guests breakfast to order, if they prefer this to the buffet, the same applies to a coffee top up, which would have been provided willingly!

Please accept my sincere apologies for the need to make us aware of your comments.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Northop Hall
Holiday Inn A55 - Chester (West)
Village Hotel Chester St David's
#1 of 1 in Pentre Halkyn
Soughton Hall Hotel
Soughton Hall Hotel
#1 of 3 in Northop

Been to Northop Hall Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!